Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Version 3 Gearbox Trigger Issues

:

Doctor's Corner

Old April 12th, 2018, 18:39   #1
xDarkAurax

Version 3 Gearbox Trigger Issues

I need tech help. I'm going insane. Version 3 gearbox stopped firing, along with a loud clicking sound whenever I pull the trigger. Take her apart, and it seems like the trigger assembly isn't contacting the carriage properly, shown in one of the video (I'm sure anyone who has taken one of these apart knows what I'm talking about).

I take the tappet plate, tappet spring, cylinder (head, nozzle, piston) out of the box and close it back up, properly positioning the trigger. Pull the trigger and it doesn't work. Carriage slips off.

Put all parts back in, seat everything (what looks to be) properly. First trigger pull and all subsequent ones and lo and behold the trigger assembly is slipping off the carriage again. What do I do? I've sat here for an hour taking it apart and putting it together again and I just can't seem to get it to go.

Help. Please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRx-F-BmuG8
xDarkAurax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2018, 18:49   #2
venture

Hi Mr. Aura.

I have seen this many times with v2 boxes, but never with v3. Looks like the part of your trigger that pushes the carriage is worn enough to cause it. I would start with a new trigger piece or pieces. Then if it still slips, it is your carriage.

I just did a v2 today that did this and for the first time it was the carriage not the trigger. Every other time it has been the trigger or the gearbox casting.

Visit us at :www.ventureairsoft.ca
venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2018, 18:52   #3
SawBone

Try flipping the carriage return spring around so that the spring loop attaching to the carriage is positioned at the top of the spring (in a way to put a slight downward force on the carriage). This can be very finicky in certain V3 gearbox.
SawBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2018, 19:44   #4
xDarkAurax

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBone View Post
Try flipping the carriage return spring around so that the spring loop attaching to the carriage is positioned at the top of the spring (in a way to put a slight downward force on the carriage). This can be very finicky in certain V3 gearbox.
I will try that and report back. Thanks for your input.
Old April 12th, 2018, 20:04   #5
RainyEyes

When this happens you need to reassemble the gearbox and put it in the lower receiver and shoot full-auto. I can't explain it but it essentially puts the cutoff lever back to the default position so that it stops your trigger from skipping out of its cage.

If that doesn't work you need to reposition the gears a certain way so that it stops the cutoff lever from engaging the trigger half-way.

I did this with my g36c a couple of times... PITA.
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2018, 20:29   #6
xDarkAurax

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyEyes View Post
When this happens you need to reassemble the gearbox and put it in the lower receiver and shoot full-auto. I can't explain it but it essentially puts the cutoff lever back to the default position so that it stops your trigger from skipping out of its cage.

If that doesn't work you need to reposition the gears a certain way so that it stops the cutoff lever from engaging the trigger half-way.

I did this with my g36c a couple of times... PITA.
Cut-off lever? Do you mean the anti-reversal latch?
Old April 12th, 2018, 20:30   #7
xDarkAurax

So I did what you suggested. It shoots once then pops back into the same old rhythm. I think swapping the trigger carriage and it's box will be the way I have to go.
Old April 12th, 2018, 20:31   #8
xDarkAurax

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBone View Post
So I did what you suggested. It shoots once then pops back into the same old rhythm. I think swapping the trigger carriage and it's box will be the way I have to go.
Old April 12th, 2018, 20:48   #9
Pocky

This happened on a boneyard UAR I bought. In my case the trigger trolley was worn where the trigger was pushing it due to the plastic on metal rubbing. Check if there's any major wear on the trigger trolley. I fixed this with a very tiny amount of JB weld/epoxy on the trigger trolley where it was worn down. Its been 5000ish semi auto rounds since and no further issues. If this doesn't work maybe buy a new trigger trolley
Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2018, 21:59   #10
xDarkAurax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocky View Post
This happened on a boneyard UAR I bought. In my case the trigger trolley was worn where the trigger was pushing it due to the plastic on metal rubbing. Check if there's any major wear on the trigger trolley. I fixed this with a very tiny amount of JB weld/epoxy on the trigger trolley where it was worn down. Its been 5000ish semi auto rounds since and no further issues. If this doesn't work maybe buy a new trigger trolley
I ain't got JB weld on me. I think just replacing the whole trigger grouping with an SHS one will do me fine. *shrug*
Old April 12th, 2018, 22:11   #11
RainyEyes

The cage slips off because the cutoff lever is preventing it from pushing the trigger trolly forward. It's the little L shaped piece of metal behind the sector gear.

^do you see that little metal piece? every time you push the trigger trolly forward, that cutoff lever is stopping you from pushing the trolly forward.

In order to reset your cutoff lever you need to reassemble the gearbox fully and situate your gears so that the lever is facing down, and then shoot full-auto to reset the cutoff lever back to the default positions for semi and safe. Right now your cutoff lever is probably half way between safe and semi.

I don't know why this doesn't happen on v2's but only v3's. I only fix this shit i don't design them.

Rewatch the video and focus on that piece and you will know what i'm referring to.

Edit: remember to push the selector plate forward to enable full-auto or at least semi fire manually if you are testing this out of the gearbox. That might help lol.

Last edited by RainyEyes; April 12th, 2018 at 22:27..
Old April 12th, 2018, 22:43   #12
xDarkAurax

Quote:
The cage slips off because the cutoff lever is preventing it from pushing the trigger trolly forward. It's the little L shaped piece of metal behind the sector gear.

^do you see that little metal piece? every time you push the trigger trolly forward, that cutoff lever is stopping you from pushing the trolly forward.

In order to reset your cutoff lever you need to reassemble the gearbox fully and situate your gears so that the lever is facing down, and then shoot full-auto to reset the cutoff lever back to the default positions for semi and safe. Right now your cutoff lever is probably half way between safe and semi.

I don't know why this doesn't happen on v2's but only v3's. I only fix this shit i don't design them.

Rewatch the video and focus on that piece and you will know what i'm referring to.

Edit: remember to push the selector plate forward to enable full-auto or at least semi fire manually if you are testing this out of the gearbox. That might help lol.
Thanks for your detailed explanation. I'll try this tomorrow and reply here with the results, if I can get it to work or not.
Old April 13th, 2018, 00:50   #13
xDarkAurax

Quote:

Is this the position the lever is supposed to be in? When putting it into this position it causes the carriage to skip (replicating the issue I'm having in the first place). I'm not entirely sure what you mean by downward position.

https://imgur.com/a/8JwwA
Old April 13th, 2018, 08:04   #14
RainyEyes

Referring to your picture:

The natural resting position of the sector gear chip is at the 10-11 o'clock position so that it is retracting the tappet plate which pulls the nozzle back and it's ready for feeding. Right now it's at the 4 o'clock position. Iirc the notch that engages the cutoff lever is at the 6-o clock position, which means you need to rotate the gear counter clockwise to the 12 o'clock position (pushing just before engaging the tappet plate" in order for it to engage the cutoff lever to push up that arm that interacts with the trigger shuttle.

This is NOT enough clearance because the gear needs to be at 11 o'clock and not 12 o'clock:

Pic for reference:

so you need to shoot full auto to hopefully put it back in the into the right position and once it cycles the cutoff lever shouldn't interfere with the trigger.

Note: v3's are known to misfire if you shortpull the trigger on semi and this is the result. I just remembered the v2 trigger is 1 piece versus that God awful v3 rotating POS that has 2 moving parts instead of just 1. This is why this happens.
Old April 15th, 2018, 19:56   #15
xDarkAurax

Quote:
Referring to your picture:

The natural resting position of the sector gear chip is at the 10-11 o'clock position so that it is retracting the tappet plate which pulls the nozzle back and it's ready for feeding. Right now it's at the 4 o'clock position. Iirc the notch that engages the cutoff lever is at the 6-o clock position, which means you need to rotate the gear counter clockwise to the 12 o'clock position (pushing just before engaging the tappet plate" in order for it to engage the cutoff lever to push up that arm that interacts with the trigger shuttle.

This is NOT enough clearance because the gear needs to be at 11 o'clock and not 12 o'clock:

Pic for reference:

so you need to shoot full auto to hopefully put it back in the into the right position and once it cycles the cutoff lever shouldn't interfere with the trigger.

Note: v3's are known to misfire if you shortpull the trigger on semi and this is the result. I just remembered the v2 trigger is 1 piece versus that God awful v3 rotating POS that has 2 moving parts instead of just 1. This is why this happens.
I can get it to fire in semi but I can't get it to go full auto. And semi is only working 80% of the time. Then I have to manually manipulate the cut-off lever from outside the box in order to get it to engage again, and fire a semi shot. It seems to, like you said, stop firing at all when I do a short pull and it doesn't complete a full rotation.

At this point I might try to find a tech locally who can fix this issue and shim and re-grease the box while they're in there. I completely understand that everyone here is trying to help me fix the issue, but I just want it fixed and reliable so I can use the bloody thing. :\
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner