optic shopping

:

Accessories Discussion

Old July 5th, 2012, 23:54   #1
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

optic shopping

I love spending money apparently.

I'm looking for an optic combo for my g36. It has the standard length C length top rail.

I can't decide whether what I want to flip for...

But I figure most of my shooting is done from 20-40m so having 1x zoom is quite important. For those times that I'm trying to find someone or shoot extremely longer distances, a zoom would be good.

The illuminated spectre dr 1x4 red/green dot has caught my eye.. it looks nice and has the ability to go 1x zoom so I'm not stuck looking at a blurry mess when I'm up close. The only drawback for this guy is the 300$ ish price tag for the illuminated version. That's getting close to real steel optic there. But the good news is that it seems that most people who own one have had reasonable things to say about it. 300$ reasonable? I'm not sure.

The fallbacks to that are a magnifer combo, either an aimpoint duo or eotech duo.

My issue with aimpoints is I don't like a standard dot... I like more of a circular reticle (even though the spectre is a crosshair/dot combo) I like the simplicity of filling the circular reticle on target and having the majority of my shots land in that circle. It's big, and my crappy eyes can pick out the reticle very easily, so a dot might be harder for my eyes to track. I like the look of the aimpoint duo, and I have seen a couple aimpoint replicas with selectable reticles but they've been sold out everywhere.

That leaves eotech clones with their poor sunlight performance. I imagine there are a few good ones out there for the going rate of acm clones. And there's a couple ZX models from huang that have had good sunlight reviews. I feel this might be my only option unless someone has a suggestion or a source on something different. I'm not entertaining hurricane eotechs because after the sight and magnifier I'm getting close the price of that elcan.

Anyone have any thoughts? Any elcan owners out there with the 1x4 illuminated model with input?
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 00:21   #2
MaybeStopCalling
Green Synergy

I like the 4x Spectre. While it's not exactly what you're looking for, it blows the 1x-4x out of the water. Clear view, sharp reticle, and unparalleled eye relief. There's also another option in getting a "Short Dot" type sight.
MaybeStopCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 00:44   #3
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

hmmm... looking at the thread just below mine.. lol.. I pulled out these:

I like the look of this one... I can get some rings that I can mount a mini red dot on

http://www.waridiot.com/index_eprodu...roducts_id=400

or this one... though I'm not sure if I can get a magnifier that will fit this one:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vector-Optics...item1e6475bddb

edit... decided to go with the vision king... package deal from http://www.asiaairsoft.com/index_epr...oducts_id=1045 with the mini red dot on it and rings included.

Last edited by lurkingknight; July 6th, 2012 at 01:56..
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:59   #4
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

only downside to the 1-4x spectre is the lens is tiny in the back, you see a lot of scope body and not a lot of picture
The 4x has a huge lens though, and it's an AMAZING red dot scope. Extremely clear picture, no glare on the dot, and looks bad ass
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:07   #5
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

I kind of didn't want a fixed zoom scope cause I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be dealing with targets that require the zoom most of the time. But I think the vision king/doctor sight combo will be good.
Old July 6th, 2012, 13:01   #6
ThunderCactus

reflex sights are best for airsoft, you really need to retain that peripheral vision
Old July 6th, 2012, 13:31   #7
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

yeah I have 2 reflex sights on my other guns, but I wanted to do something different for the g36
Old May 15th, 2017, 11:45   #8
Okawesome

I don't always practice necromancy, but when I do, it's about a G36

I've recently started into the sport and am looking for a red dot optic for my G36C. I can't afford real steel and I know the pitfalls of ACM /clone optics, so my current target is the Bushnell TRS.

I've looked at Holosun and Primary Arms too, but at twice the price, I think I can live with any shortcomings the Bushnell has.

First - are there any big gotchas or reasons against the Bushnell on this rifle?

Assuming the above question is 'ok, go ahead', I would like to cowitness the optic with the irons on my G36C (ARES). Is it possible? Will I need a riser? If so, what height?

Lurkingknight and ThunderCactus, you've already provided great input on my other noob threads, so considering this old conversation was directly between you two, maybe you can share with me what you've learned since.
Okawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 17:48   #9
ThunderCactus

I bought a G&G T1 replica for my MP5 and it's pretty darn great. Haven't noticed any parallax issues, excellent range of brightness, just goes through batteries like you'd expect a clone to.
Old May 16th, 2017, 15:30   #10
Pfeil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
I bought a G&G T1 replica for my MP5 and it's pretty darn great. Haven't noticed any parallax issues, excellent range of brightness, just goes through batteries like you'd expect a clone to.
That's interesting. I got the G&G T1 (Low Version). Great build quality, optics, etc. but I see virtually no difference between the brightness levels (it's minimal) and can't use the T1 in daylight. New battery makes no difference.

Any ideas?
Pfeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 21:56   #11
ThunderCactus

Dial probably grounded out, bypassing the resistors. Warranty issue
Old October 26th, 2017, 11:53   #12
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

somehow I missed this necro.

The g36 sights are so low that you can't co witness anything on them. You'll probably have discovered this by now. So that bit of info is for anyone else in the future that may wander into this thread.

I now have 3 g36s in use, one is a slightly longer K variant and 2 are C variants. 1 is an ares that is a loaner gun and the other is a similar build to the K I have. The 2 in use are CA bodies (for those who will ask).

To update on what I'm using as optics on my indoor and outdoor setups, I was until recently using a UTG accushot 1.25-4.5 shortdot. This is an extremely well priced real steel scope. I had the visionking I mentioned for all of 4 months. The eye relief and eyebox was terrible a max zoom.It was so hard to get a sight picture consistently and quickly that the opporunity to shoot was long gone before I could see out the tube. The accushot lets me hit the eyebox and get a sight picture so fast that I'm now using it on my indoor g36.

For the outdoor rifle, I splurged a little (not at full price) and got a vortex strike eagle 1.25-6x which is still a shortdot but getting into the more expensive real steel glass.

For cheap optics, I used acm reflex sights for the longest time, and ones I've had for 4+ years now are no longer holding zero even on the vibrations of an AEG, if you can find one that will hold zero, it will be a great, low priced optic for airsoft. I have a friend who is using his acm reflex on his real steel mossberg and it holds zero.

Now some may ask, "is having 4-6X zoom overkill in airsoft?"

Immediate answer for most players, yes. It's overkill. 40-60m which is where most engagements considered to be longer ranges in airsoft (1.5J) a non magnified optic for quick target acquisition is great. The BBs at these ranges are still visible to the naked eye.

So why 4.5-6x for me?

With a highly upgraded rifle, (riot 10:1s, rhopped prommy, perfect compression) my grouping sizes are now about 6 inches or smaller at 60m. I can put rounds through gaps in cover at 60m and hit poorly covered/concealed targets at ranges up to 90m in good conditions within 5 or 6 shots. The cone of fire is pretty wide at 90m, even when you have such a small group at 60m, so there's an element of luck involved with hitting things at those extended ranges. Being able to see exactly the flight of the BB and the landing with a scope is now useful in spotting rounds to those ranges and obstacles.

It's not for everyone, and up close, the scope does get in the way if you are at max zoom and someone is so close to you that it becomes and issue getting a sight picture in the amount of time you can react, but I've also played so long now and know the performance of my rifle so well that I can sight close targets with my rifle held at armslength to triangulate a shot or sight down other parts of the gun without the use of the scope. That gets people super salty when you noscope them trying to sneak up on you. If you are set at anything higher than 2x zoom, quick acquisition of nearby targets starts to get harder, and your situational awareness starts to tunnelvision the farther you get away from both eyes open shooting. The shortdots allow you to both eyes shoot with the optic at their lowest settings, which is why they are better than 3-9x .22 or air rifle scopes you can get at around 100-150$.

Last edited by lurkingknight; October 26th, 2017 at 12:10..
Old November 20th, 2017, 01:29   #13
Okawesome

optic shopping

Thanks for the reply lurkingknight. Super useful information because I’ve just started thinking about whether I want a magnification option.

I wanted to share my decision on the RDS as well. I went with the Bushnell TRS-25. Without a riser, I actually managed to do a lower 1/3 co-witness with my stock iron sights and it’s comfortable for me to use.

Because it’s Airsoft, my rear sight can’t be lowered enough when I’m using the peep sight, it’s only properly zeroed when I flip it down and use the rear blade style sights.

This is fine since it gives me more peripheral vision and they’re my backup option anyway. It lets me keep that lower 1/3 cowitness at all times and if my optic goes down I can easily transition.

I am considering cutting off the top 3rd of the hood of my front iron sight because it’s getting in the way of my RDS sight picture. I think it’ll work, it’ll end up looking like the front sight on an HK416.

Edited: modified post to say I have a lower 1/3 cowitness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Okawesome; November 20th, 2017 at 13:39..
Okawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2021, 07:48   #14
melissachris
Banned

Hi, I am very much like you, I also love to do the shopping and this time I have to buy something similar to you, which is for optics. I am looking for optical gear but the contact lenses for myself and I have next day contacts coupons which I want to use to buy the contact lenses at a discounted price.
melissachris is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion