Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

KJW m4 buffer tube looseness

:

Doctor's Corner

Old December 15th, 2010, 13:19   #1
grantmac

KJW m4 buffer tube looseness

I had a search through the KJW thread but didn't get the info I needed.

My buffer tube is slightly loose. Nothing extreme but I don't want to put any stress on the inner buffer and I hate wobbles.

Thanks,
Grant
grantmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 13:31   #2
Padkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmac View Post
I had a search through the KJW thread but didn't get the info I needed.

My buffer tube is slightly loose. Nothing extreme but I don't want to put any stress on the inner buffer and I hate wobbles.

Thanks,
Grant
For most retractable m4/m16 stocks, there is a screw that you can tighten inside the buffer tube.

Just remove the stock from the buffer tube, (use your manual for that, normally, you just push the stock's lever downward)

Look inside the buffer tube, you should see a screw at the bottom, just tighten that screw and Voila, there should be no wobble.

If you want pics, just ask, I'll post some !
Old December 15th, 2010, 13:31   #3
theshaneler

my tube was like this as well, i had to take the outer buffer off, and make a shim (out of electrical tape) so that it would seat tighter. not the perfect way to stop the wobble, but i tightened all the parts i could and i still got a lot of wobble, it has been 100% wobble free for 4 months and over 12 games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curo View Post
Look at all the fucks no one gives Miles, look at them. There is a lot of fucks not being given.
theshaneler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 14:19   #4
m102404
Tys

AEG or GBBR?

For an AEG:
- see how much thread of the stock screw is engaging and try a shorter screw...it may be bottoming out in your spring guide
- when it's done properly the screw should be snug...not cranked on super hard, this will pull your mechbox out of alignment and can cause an air leak
- if your stock pipe has a castle nut (some stocks have an actual nut...others have the nut fake-molded as part of the tube)....tighten the stock screw snug...then snug up the castle nut
...if it still has some play, see if there isn't excessive play between the receiver stub and the stock pipe. If there is, you can try to shim it...or buy a new stock pipe..or buy a different receiver. Some setups have the receiver stub cut very short...in these cases there's little to do if it's wobbly...see previous options.

For a GBBR...
- screw the pipe into the receiver until the edge of it is close to, but not protruding from the inside edge of the lower receiver (i.e. so when the upper closes the bolt won't clip it)....this ensures that there's as much contact as possible
- tighten the castle nut to snug it up.
....if your threads are shitty...get a new pipe...or a new receiver...or both
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 14:39   #5
bshantz

My KJW buffer tube was loose at one point and i solved the problem by making sure the outer buffer was pushed right up to the receiver, since it is not threaded i used a hammer to get it nice and tight, and then make sure you put the buffer tube end cap on nice and tight.

This keeps the outer buffer tube in place, mark the threads with some paint so you know whether the threads have moved over time.

Goodluck

-----
"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."

bshantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 19:35   #6
audi_bhoy

Mine came loose, it was the set screw in the lower of the buffer tube that needed a little screwing.
audi_bhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner