Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

USP Compact Upgrades: G&G Threaded Barrel with Shooters Design Slide?

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old January 15th, 2007, 13:39   #1
alpha54

Question USP Compact Upgrades: G&G Threaded Barrel with Shooters Design Slide?

Hello,

I have a KSC USP Compact. It already has a Taiwan metal slide & metal outer barrel installed, as well as a stronger recoil spring. I use green gas with it.

Keep in mind I ordered the gun with these upgrades preinstalled, so I did not install them myself.

Now, I would like to install several upgrades into my gun, the first being a KN 6.04mm tightbore to increase accuracy.

At the same time, I am looking at a G&G Threaded Metal Outer Barrel, as this would allow me to attach a silencer. My question is, does this outer barrel install effortlessly in conjunction with a Shooters Design metal slide? I plan on getting one of these as they are simply of much higher quality than my current metal slide.

I am fairly confident that I can take apart my gun and reassemble it correctly with these new parts, but only if they actually fit together - I am not sure I will be able to install them myself if extensive filing or dremeling is required to make them fit. How hard will it be to perform this installation?

Lastly, would it make sense for me to install a stronger hammer spring? As far as I know the only two aftermarket hammer springs available are from Proud and Zenith. I have heard the Proud is much too strong and will kill your gun - the Zenith is rated at 190%. Would it make sense to get the Zenith hammer spring?

The trigger assembly looks rather difficult to dismantle so please let me know if this would be too difficult an upgrade to install by yourself!

I know this has been a rather long post, so thanks a million for any help or advice you may give me!

Kind regards,
alpha54

PS: I did use the search function as well as Google; there simply isn't a lot of info available on this gun even though many people appear to own it. If I get any useful replies to this post I might even compile a thread with all of the info!
alpha54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 15:15   #2
takatorikku
UnVerified

first of all, just get the threaded barrel kit available from Shooter's Design. Their quality is top notch and all parts would fit seamlessly. Installing the metal slide and barrel can be slightly hard, but if you take your time, it will be easier. It took me about 15 minutes to swap over to metal on my USP .45. there is no dremeling needed, though you may need to file the slide a bit to make sure it slides back and forward smoothly. i had to do that a bit with mine.

about the hammer springs, i don't really know. my springs are shooters design, and they work flawlessly.

you don't need to dismantle the trigger assembly, the hammer spring is actually located in the handgrip, behind the mag. slide the mag out and look inside, you can't miss it.

you can do this if you give it a lot of time and care. if you need anymore help, just PM me.
Old January 15th, 2007, 15:43   #3
alpha54

Firstly, thanks for your great reply!

I haven't ever come across a threaded barrel kit from Shooter's Design, I'll definitely have to have a look at that! Is the barrel threaded on the inside or outside though? The nice thing about the G&G one is that its threaded on the inside, meaning I won't have the thread visible when no silencer is attached (a look which I would prefer).

To be honest, I've never seen any Shooter's Design springs for the gun either - are these available at UNCompany? If not, where could I get them from?

I already have an upgraded recoil spring (and I believe that on the USP Compact is different to that for the full size USP), but I image the hammer spring for the USP and USP Compact should be the same?

Just had a look inside my hang grip as well - you're right, I can't miss the hammer spring! How would I go about accessing and changing this spring though? It looks quite difficult!

Thanks again for your help, and I won't hesitate to send you a PM if I need any more help!
Old January 15th, 2007, 16:01   #4
takatorikku
UnVerified

if you like a clean look, then the G&G barrel is the way to go. i've never seen one so i can't tell you about it's quality or not, but G&G is known for some good stuff.

shooter's design doesn't sell springs for the USPC surprisingly, wonder why. also, the hammer spring is shorter than a USP's hammer spring, so no swapping there. i know the USPC hammer spring is the same size as a beretta m92f, so that should help.

as to accessing the hammer spring, at the bottom rear of the grip, you'll see a pinhole. it holds the lanyard loop in place. if you knock the pin out using a hammer and thin screwdriver, the part will come out, but be careful since it holds the hammer spring in place and might shoot out across the room. keep your thumb on it. the hammer spring will drop right out and all you have to do is put the new one in and replace everything. 2 minute job.

it's right here.

here's mine by the way:

Last edited by takatorikku; January 15th, 2007 at 16:04.. Reason: added pics
takatorikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 16:07   #5
alpha54

Same size as a Beretta M92F? Its great to hear that, because the Zenith 150% hammer spring that I mentioned in my first post was actually listed as being for the Beretta M92F and the USPc. Seeing as the Shooter's Design springs are also 150%, I doubt I can go wrong there!

As far installing that spring, that actually sounds fairly easy - cheers for the pointer.
Old January 15th, 2007, 18:55   #6
jakster

Don't know if this helps but I'm about to start upgrading my USP Compact as well and fix the damn trigger I came across these two site that gives some pretty good detail.

http://www.airsplat.com/KJWUSPP8-Gas...isassembly.htm

http://www.zero-ops.com/kscuspreviewpage.html

Enjoy
Jakster
jakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 13:10   #7
alpha54

Cheers for those links mate, they look great!

Sadly I was wrong about the Zenith hammer spring I was talking about earlier - its actually 190%.

However, I found two other 150% hammer springs. One is a 150% for the M92F, which would be perfect, but is sadly out of stock. The other is a 150% for "MARUI KSC", which doesn't really tell me anything as I still don't know whether it would fit my gun.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Your USP looks bloody nice btw takatorikku!
Old January 16th, 2007, 13:33   #8
takatorikku
UnVerified

if it's anything generalized like MARUI KSC then I wouldn't buy it. if your search for a hammer spring proves fruitless, just take out the stock hammer spring and stretch it no more than 1mm longer. I did that before my spring kit, worked rather well. I actually stretched it longer than that originally, but the gun wouldn't even fire with all the tension lol.

check out the Proud spring sets, they're decent.
Old January 16th, 2007, 13:56   #9
alpha54

Cheers for the reply.

I've read about the Proud spring set, and it doesn't look bad. The hammer spring is 190% though, and as far as I heard this is so strong that it will significantly lower the life expectancy of the trigger assembly.

Its a bit odd, because I was thinking if I can't find a 150% spring for my gun, I should at least be able to find one for a M92F, but even that's proving to be pretty difficult...
Old January 16th, 2007, 14:11   #10
takatorikku
UnVerified

there should be a proud set with 150% floating around somewhere, i remember seeing it. either that or it's a different company, but i know one exists. for now, try stretching your spring a teeny bit, you'll like the results!
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:51   #11
alpha54

Alright, I'll do that, thanks for all your advice!
Old January 17th, 2007, 08:59   #12
hattrick
NAAZ's #1 fan!

Send a message via MSN to hattrick
Takaworikku is just trying to make you jelous with the pictures. (correct answers being her cover)

Get some glue for your blowback seal when it comes out of place, it'll work like a charm.

The 150% hammer spring will break the stock trigger if you single action the gun.

Hell the stock trig might break on you even if you dont! (as has mine, and many others)

Threaded barrel may need some modifications to fit w/ shootersdesign (a snug fit high quality slide)

The the safty plate is the hardest part to deal with imo

gl hf - alex

maybe not from this .. and probably not today... but I assure you, you will die
hattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:35   #13
takatorikku
UnVerified

hence my saying just stretch the stock spring a bit. i haven't even put my SD hammer spring in for fear of destroying my baby.
Old January 20th, 2007, 10:32   #14
alpha54

What sort of modifications will the threaded barrel need to fit with the SD slide? I've already ordered that parts so I'm definitely going ahead with this, but I hope its nothing more than some filing (filing I can manage, but I don't really think I could do any dremelling).

What about a 130% hammer spring then? I found a 130% hammer spring for the Marui M92F, so it should be fully compatible and it doesn't seem too overpowered.

Many thanks for all of your great advice, further replies are appreciated!
Old January 20th, 2007, 14:57   #15
takatorikku
UnVerified

probably not that much modding would be needed other than some filing, you probably don't have to file the barrel at all.

oh and i've still got a brand new 150% hammer spring i dont use came with my shooter's design kit.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications