Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Spring-Powered M4?

:

Newbie Tank

Old October 17th, 2011, 12:39   #1
AJam

Spring-Powered M4?

So, despite my last thread, I decided to look into spring airsoft rifles.
Although I really wanted electric, I can't justify getting a gun like that as I will be using it to shoot around at home and at the cottage.

I have been looking for a good quality (reliability, power, etc) spring-powered M4 style rifle. The only one I've come across is the Crosman Stinger R34. It has received mixed reviews from what I've seen and I was hoping for something more powerful / accurate. However, I can't seem to find any other options.

If anyone knows about any high quality, high powered spring rifles, please direct me to their site or any information at all.

I have also looked into spring sniper rifles, which I am considering, however it would be great if their quality / power could be found in an M4 replica.

PS- would like to be age verified!
AJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 13:21   #2
MultipleParadox

If you're going to to backyard plinking only and don't plan to attend any game, you should just get a pellet airgun. They're much more precise, more powerful, much less expensive, more everything else.

For age verification it's all in the forum's FAQs.

GBBR- bang bang -- Giggle

AEG-- merrrzip merrzip -- meh
MultipleParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 13:49   #3
L473ncy

If you want something cool go with the CX4 Storm and a PAL or the under 500FPS version if you don't have a PAL.

If you want something good then I have to swear by Anschutz, the 900X series is definitely sexy but will set you back probably around $3.5K. The 800X series at minimum will be $1.5K and I've seen them for $2.5K before. Anschutz also makes an "AiR-15" in .177 which might be good but again will set you back $2K at minimum.
Old October 19th, 2011, 11:36   #4
AJam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultipleParadox View Post
If you're going to to backyard plinking only and don't plan to attend any game, you should just get a pellet airgun. They're much more precise, more powerful, much less expensive, more everything else.

For age verification it's all in the forum's FAQs.
I have looked into pellet guns, but am not interested in metal BBs and have not come across an M4 style pellet gun for an affordable price. I want something that I will feel comfortable letting my friends hold, and a pellet gun is not one of them.. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
If you want something cool go with the CX4 Storm and a PAL or the under 500FPS version if you don't have a PAL.

If you want something good then I have to swear by Anschutz, the 900X series is definitely sexy but will set you back probably around $3.5K. The 800X series at minimum will be $1.5K and I've seen them for $2.5K before. Anschutz also makes an "AiR-15" in .177 which might be good but again will set you back $2K at minimum.
I checked out the CX4 -- looks pretty sweet. I will probably look more into this. As for the others, my main issue with getting an AEG was the pricetag. $3500 is kinda moving in the wrong direction.. lol
Old October 19th, 2011, 11:54   #5
L473ncy

Just note that the pellet guns I was referring to are "Olympic grade" competition rifles.

Check here for backyard/cottage .177 airgun stuff (they have competition stuff as well):

http://airgunsource.com/store/index.php?cpage=new
http://www.dlairgun.com/

Best entry level target rifle is probably the Daisy 835C. Best one that looks kind of cool is probably the Baikal Drozd IMO.
Old October 19th, 2011, 13:48   #6
MultipleParadox

Would be confortable letting your friends hold it?
Teach them handling rifles properly (and learn it yourself if needed); problem solved

And what's wrong metal BBs? Or Pellet? It's heavier, will derive less under windy condition, and carry more energy.

You just can't go wrong with a Baikal. But that kind of discussion belongs to airgunforum.net

GBBR- bang bang -- Giggle

AEG-- merrrzip merrzip -- meh
MultipleParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 21:14   #7
AJam

Hey guys!

I appreciate the help. Doesn't seem like you've really pinpointed what I'm looking for. Turns out the CX4 Storm is a real gun? I'm looking for something under $300 that shoots plastic BBs.

The thing with pellet guns is, shooting them at someone would break the skin and possibly lead to lead poisoning. Airsoft guns just leave a nasty welt. Pellet guns shot at a wall or furniture will leave a hole, while airsoft guns will do much less damage.

Essentially, I'm looking for a good quality toy. Probably gonna grab the Crosman if I can't find anything else. If anyone can find other M4 style spring airsoft guns, leave a reply and I will check them out!

Thanks!
Old October 19th, 2011, 21:18   #8
Mr. inked

"If anyone knows about any high quality, high powered spring rifles, please direct me to their site or any information at all."

from a one new player to another high quality means high price
Live and die on this day
Mr. inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 21:18   #9
Amos

So you're saying you want something that you can be careless and have next to no control over?
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 21:29   #10
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
A plastic BB won't break the skin, just leave a welt?

Ahem, WRONG!!!

Nuff said, I've gotten enough 20min bleeders to the face over the years I piss all over this assumption. And I won't even post the pics of guys over seas who have airsoft BBs imbedded in their skin...........

And if you are looking for something comfortable to hold, I never found M4s or any Armalite comfortable to hold for me, real steel or airsoft, I just don't like the feel of them.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 21:30   #11
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

you will not find a good m4 spring rifle. if you are just plinking get a crossman crappy tire special.
Get yourself AV'd and pick up a cheap aeg off the classifieds, if you are dead set on spring, pick up a cheap sniper rifle (however do not expect to attend any games as a sniper)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post
A plastic BB won't break the skin, just leave a welt?

Ahem, WRONG!!!

Nuff said, I've gotten enough 20min bleeders to the face over the years I piss all over this assumption. And I won't even post the pics of guys over seas who have airsoft BBs imbedded in their skin...........

And if you are looking for something comfortable to hold, I never found M4s or any Armalite comfortable to hold for me, real steel or airsoft, I just don't like the feel of them.
there was a guy up here who had to get a BB yanked out of his earlobe with a leatherman
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 21:39   #12
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
He can use a sniper rifle at any game if it shoots less than 450fps and can prove himself safe to use it based upon distance judgement.

No idea where the sniper certification thingy recently became "Unless you are certified to a sniper level, you cannot use a sniper rifle on any field". C'mon man, isn't the case, if he wants to buy a sniper rifle and it shoots within limits, he's fine to use it..... might not have the most fun experience, but he can use it.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 21:42   #13
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post
He can use a sniper rifle at any game if it shoots less than 450fps and can prove himself safe to use it based upon distance judgement.

No idea where the sniper certification thingy recently became "Unless you are certified to a sniper level, you cannot use a sniper rifle on any field". C'mon man, isn't the case, if he wants to buy a sniper rifle and it shoots within limits, he's fine to use it..... might not have the most fun experience, but he can use it.
I should clarify.
Since he is new, and unverified, and hasnt attended a game a BA wouldnt be the best choice, and most games allow a veto of snipers now i've noticed.
not to mention less fun as sniping is nothing like video games
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 21:57   #14
Mr. inked

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.T.Z View Post
I should clarify.
Since he is new, and unverified, and hasnt attended a game a BA wouldnt be the best choice, and most games allow a veto of snipers now i've noticed.
not to mention less fun as sniping is nothing like video games
ive only been to a handfull of games most having a sniper i myself run a dmr and have never been told no i can't play because of the type of gun im running and have never heard of anyone vetoing a BA
Live and die on this day
Mr. inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 23:51   #15
Ghostrecon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. inked View Post
ive only been to a handfull of games most having a sniper i myself run a dmr and have never been told no i can't play because of the type of gun im running and have never heard of anyone vetoing a BA

DMR is "usually" a softer shooter then a sniper if even by a few fps. Also vetoing snipers is quickly gaining momentum as more and more people get hit from a sniper within 50 ft. From personal experience i can safetly say that getting hit up close from a sniper hurt like hell, and a dmr (depending on the rules where you play) are generally inbetween the fps limits of snipers and aeg's.

And back to the main question. If you want an airsoft rifle under $300, go to canadien tire. If you want something you can take to a game or actually have fun with at a range more then 10 feet accuracy then your going to need to spend at least closer to 400. I have an AEG M4 from G&G that shoots 360 fps (average +/-10fps) and that cost approx $350 before tax from Cabelas. Some airsoft shops are overpriced so look around. If you are above the age of 18 and can prove it then go to a local shop or even check online. BUT a word of warning, even with a clear bottom or clear parts a police officer wont notice a 4 inch section of clear plastic when your holding it. So dont be stupid and learn respect for firearms. You will feel real stupid going to the hospital to get a bullet picked outa your body because you made a stupid move with an officer around.

So a quick summary. Snipers suck and are being vetod more and more for new players until you have experience. An airsoft rifle of anysort under 300 is generally a complete P.O.S. Spend an extra $100 for a good quality weapon(NOT TOY) that you can actually use and enjoy that wont break in the first hour. And if you do actually want a TOY, then visit toys'r'us they have a good selection of nerf toys availible to the warrior in all of us. (although usually meant for people of a younger age).

Being a big boy means big toys.
Big toys mean big money.
Big money and toys generally you can get in major shit if you screw up...So dont.
Ghostrecon is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank