Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Erratic piston behavior

:

Newbie Tank

Old November 10th, 2009, 12:46   #1
Ed Carvalho

Erratic piston behavior

This is my first post in this forum. If this is an already answered question, please don’t trash me too hard and direct to there! I have a JG M4 and use it for IPSC competitions. One of these days, suddenly its piston started to lock somewhere towards the back, but not at the rearmost position. Sometimes I just have to switch to full auto to have the piston released, other times even this doesn’t work. After fully recharging the battery, I removed the upper and placed the switch back to single, and, while pressing the trigger, forced the piston all the way to back. This maneuvers (gosh! I hope I haven’t damaged anything beyond repair!) released momentarily the piston and the gun fired properly in full auto, but when switched back to single, it locked again!!!
What is going on? I humbly beg for guidance!
Ed, from Brazil
Ed Carvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:55   #2
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
What strength of spring are you using, and what size and voltage of battery are you using?

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 13:04   #3
Ed Carvalho

The spring is the original one. Never replaced. I don't know more about it and the battery is also original (hit me, if I deserve!) 9.6V. This gun went through a full IPSC tournament without a glitch (only single shots allowed, fired very quickly), but since then, it is behaving as I've said... Suggestions?
Old November 10th, 2009, 13:14   #4
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall

It maybe possible that it is the battery that is causing the jams.
The last time I worked with a JG gun that came with its own battery I found that the battery was extremely low quality and after a while stopped holding a charge and even though at first it did provide enough power to turn the motor to compress the spring after a while I found it could not even turn the motor over. A new battery fixed that issue for me.

"Its only a little bit on fire"
TokyoSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 13:15   #5
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Send a message via MSN to AngelusNex
Buy a new battery, The stock JG one suck ass and die fast, your problem is most likely just your battery being too weak. (and fully charging is no help when a battery is in this state)
AngelusNex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 13:21   #6
Ed Carvalho

Thanks, ya'll!!! I'll try new batts and report back!
Old November 10th, 2009, 13:25   #7
incrediboy729

Send a message via AIM to incrediboy729 Send a message via Yahoo to incrediboy729
I also vote battery.
I highly recommend cheapbatterypacks.com. You can make a custom pack for very cheap and out of high quality cells (elite). Very fast service and the quality is extremely good.
Hope this helps.
-Brett
Old November 10th, 2009, 14:02   #8
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
I've seen the piston locking back thing in semi, and needing full auto to unjam it......... often times it's from only pulling the trigger halfway then releasing. Try cycling the gun in semi by pulling full strokes on the trigger and see if the problem still happens.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 08:53   #9
Ed Carvalho

BINGO!!!

Thank you all!!! It was the batteries! As soon as I've connected a set of Kings Arms 11.1 V 1100mAh batts, the thing just flew!!! The remaining question is why haven't I replaced the batts before? Because I'm a newbie! Hahahahahahahahaa! Do you bestow "duh" awards in this forum?
Again, thanks to all who took their time to help!

Ed
Old November 11th, 2009, 16:32   #10
incrediboy729

Send a message via AIM to incrediboy729 Send a message via Yahoo to incrediboy729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Carvalho View Post
Thank you all!!! It was the batteries! As soon as I've connected a set of Kings Arms 11.1 V 1100mAh batts, the thing just flew!!! The remaining question is why haven't I replaced the batts before? Because I'm a newbie! Hahahahahahahahaa! Do you bestow "duh" awards in this forum?
Again, thanks to all who took their time to help!

Ed
No problem haha. So did you buy the King Arms battery? If you did, be careful in full auto with that strong of a battery. That is too much juice for a stock JG, and you eventually end up stripping your piston. I have a friend who has a JG 614, and even with a 8.4v battery (the stock battery), his piston is taking wear.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank