Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Newb looking to buy first rifle...

:

Newbie Tank

Old November 11th, 2010, 14:09   #1
Master Chief

Newb looking to buy first rifle...

Hey all,

I'm lookin to join the ranks of airsoft but I'm having a dilemma as which type of rifle to start off with.

AEG or GBB? I like GBB cause it seems to prevent spray n pray and adds realism to the ammo dynamic (and from the videos I've seen they sound incredible), but I'm a nub so I could be horribly wrong.

Please help! and many thanks!
Master Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 14:13   #2
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
AEG. New people should always start with an AEG.
More reliable, can work in any weather, little to no maintenance as opposed to a GBBR which has a lot of maintenance.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 14:35   #3
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall

My vote goes in the AEG hat.

However, are we talking about GBB? as in a pistol or a are you talking about a GBBR as in a rifle?

Your point that a GBB can prevent spray and pray is interesting, I would like to counter that a good player does not have to rely on something like this as they have the discipline to not BB hose the area. Why give yourself braces when you dont have crooked teeth? Sometimes, despite how good a player is...you dont bring a knife to a gun fight.

If you enjoy the realism of realistic loading capacity you can load your AEG magazines to that of real life capacity as well.

Ultimately before you even begin to decide between AEG or GBB is you should figure out which make and model of gun you wish to have. As it stands AEGs pretty much come in every flavour while GBB pistols come in many models as well. GBBRs come only in a handful of models at this time but are quickly growing.

PS

If you would be so kind as to add your user location to your profile through your userCP that would be fantastic. Thanks.

"Its only a little bit on fire"
TokyoSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 14:38   #4
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

T7 is right, if you're concerned about spray and pray just don't do it! You can't control how other players play, only your own actions, unless you plan on buying guns to outfit everyone you play with.
Old November 11th, 2010, 16:05   #5
BoGrain
représentant officiel de
     WW2Quebec

AEGs are proven to work in any weather, they require very little maintenance, they are ultimately cheaper to operate. Beside if spray and pray is your concern, buy a bunch of low-capacity magazines (or real-cap if you go for a more common model). AEGs also have a much greater diversity in terms of brands and models to choose from.

GBBR are relatively new, they require more maintenance, the magazine are expensive, cold weather affects performance significantly. There is also a somewhat limited choice of models on the market.

Your better off starting with a good AEG (you should research and read - before making your first purchase since it will break or make your airsoft experience)
Old November 11th, 2010, 18:07   #6
Master Chief

Well Ive narrowed down my choices to 2 rifles

AEG: G&G M4 Carbine Max
GBBR: WE SCAR-L GBB

I've always loved both of these guns I just can't afford the SCAR's AEG counterpart(least what I've found so far)

And Tokyo, Agreed, discipline overules all I guess I just wasn't sure how to approach the topic because Ive read reviews on GBBR's and that seemed to be a common point that was addressed, also I had no idea there was low cap mags for AEG's...I fail lol.
Old November 11th, 2010, 18:12   #7
burningashes
cumpulsive masturbator

We at ASC encourage only people who are 18+ to buy airsoft guns. If you are 18+ then get age verified to get even cheaper aegs and gbbs than the retailers. You can save money on guns by talking to an age verifier.

And btw, your account was made in 2005??
burningashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 18:14   #8
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
Well Ive narrowed down my choices to 2 rifles

AEG: G&G M4 Carbine Max
GBBR: WE SCAR-L GBB

I've always loved both of these guns I just can't afford the SCAR's AEG counterpart(least what I've found so far)

And Tokyo, Agreed, discipline overules all I guess I just wasn't sure how to approach the topic because Ive read reviews on GBBR's and that seemed to be a common point that was addressed, also I had no idea there was low cap mags for AEG's...I fail lol.
I suggest not getting the WE SCAR, while this is not universal most of them I have sold have had problems very quicky. While the later versions of this model seem to do better I find that they still generally have more issues that other models. If you like the the SCAR many companies make an AEG version of it.
http://i.imgur.com/wBfBB.gif
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 18:18   #9
m102404
Tys

1. Get out to some local games and check out the differences between a gas rifle and AEG in person. It will make or break your decision.

2. While there...handle a couple of different rifles...does one type fit you better than others

3. While there...get age verified. Guys on this site won't nag you as much and you'll have access to the classifieds/retailers/etc... There are often some smoking hot deals in there.

4. While there...check out what else you'll need to play. Gear/goggles, batteries/chargers for AEGs, propane/adaptors/etc for gas guns. How many mags will be enough for typical play...how many more are desireable. Lights/optics/etc... Comms/gloves/slings/etc...

5. Revisit your budget...make sure you can afford the essentials before you sink it all into the rifle itself.

6. Scratch head a bit figuring out where to get a bit more money...'cause you got to eat and pay the actual game fee

7. By now you're AV has probably kicked in...shop around a bit.

8. Go for it.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 18:40   #10
Master Chief

Thanks for all the info!

Another imminent noob question...how do I get age verified? If I missed a topic about it somewhere I apologize in advance

And ashes, I joined then when I was 19 lookin for an airsoft community close by to me...but I soon found out that due to me being a bum and not having enough money for this sport decided to put it on hold lol now that I have steady cash flow I'm back.

Edit: nevermind found the thread, sorry for the dumb question, once again thanks for all the info everyone! Very appreciated!

Last edited by Master Chief; November 11th, 2010 at 18:59.. Reason: Lack of braincells
Old November 11th, 2010, 19:01   #11
Spike
Privateer Airsoft

Find the age verification rep in your area, there's a list of them somewhere, a quick search should bring it up. Just send one of them a PM and arrange a meeting, bring ID, and you're good to go (after it clears).
Old November 11th, 2010, 19:13   #12
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall

The info about age verification is located in the frequently asked questions area, also known as the FAQ. I suggest you review some of the threads in the FAQ as they hold valuable information.

Quick link to Age verification information.
http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=49408

"Its only a little bit on fire"
TokyoSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank