Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Gsg-522

:

Newbie Tank

Old December 29th, 2011, 21:26   #1
mikey007

Gsg-522

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?page...=1387&ID=32134

I just picked up this gun for a good deal. Has anyone ever used one and have a review on it? I have searched and haven't found much info on it other than specs. Is much of it upgradeable? I don't think I want to upgrade for the moment, I am just curious. Thanks!
mikey007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 21:48   #2
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Pretty sure it's a standard V2 gearbox, so yes everything can be upgraded.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 21:55   #3
mikey007

It is a full-metal gearbox, correct? What are the advantages of upgrading an already full-metal gearbox?
Old December 29th, 2011, 22:06   #4
Styrak

It says it's a metal gearbox in the link you gave, yes...

A metal shelled gearbox (which is standard on any decent airsoft) has nothing to do with what's inside. So you're going to have to do some research before you even ask about upgrades.

Old December 29th, 2011, 22:17   #5
MaciekA

Your best bet is to run this gun hard like a champ until it turns to dust. Leave it stock.

Most of the experienced folks on this forum (like the answer above) will probably tell you the same thing. You could upgrade this gun but you would be wasting your money because you might not get much out of it and might find it hard to make your upgrades really work properly.

To be specific, you might have to spend a sizeable chunk of what you've already spent to do any serious upgrade work on it, driving up the price of your cansoft gun to the price of a more serious, full-metal midrange AEG.

Instead, I suggest you run this gun nice and hard, saving your money over the months, get age-verified, and then buy a full-metal King Arms M4 for $350 through ASC retailers, or any of the other numerous high-quality, non-cansoft AEGs that are now dropping near the $300 range. By the time you're ready to do that, the price point for high end stuff will have likely dropped by a bit and there will be absolutely no reason for you or anyone else to ever buy a low-end un-branded cansoft AEG at Cabelas again.

Hope that helps

Now you know

MaciekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 23:08   #6
mikey007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaciekA View Post
Your best bet is to run this gun hard like a champ until it turns to dust. Leave it stock.

Most of the experienced folks on this forum (like the answer above) will probably tell you the same thing. You could upgrade this gun but you would be wasting your money because you might not get much out of it and might find it hard to make your upgrades really work properly.

To be specific, you might have to spend a sizeable chunk of what you've already spent to do any serious upgrade work on it, driving up the price of your cansoft gun to the price of a more serious, full-metal midrange AEG.

Instead, I suggest you run this gun nice and hard, saving your money over the months, get age-verified, and then buy a full-metal King Arms M4 for $350 through ASC retailers, or any of the other numerous high-quality, non-cansoft AEGs that are now dropping near the $300 range. By the time you're ready to do that, the price point for high end stuff will have likely dropped by a bit and there will be absolutely no reason for you or anyone else to ever buy a low-end un-branded cansoft AEG at Cabelas again.

Hope that helps
Thanks for the info! How does the 522 compare to an ICS mp5? I am just trying to get a grasp of the quality of my gun.
Old December 29th, 2011, 23:11   #7
MaciekA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey007 View Post
Thanks for the info! How does the 522 compare to an ICS mp5? I am just trying to get a grasp of the quality of my gun.
Hard to say since I don't know who really made your gun, the easiest way to find out would be to take a detailed look inside the gearbox

Now you know

MaciekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 23:16   #8
mikey007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaciekA View Post
Hard to say since I don't know who really made your gun, the easiest way to find out would be to take a detailed look inside the gearbox
Hmm, I'll leave taking it apart for another day. As far as I know, though, it was distributed by cybergun but manufactured by ICS. I would assume they are similar in terms of internals?
Old December 29th, 2011, 23:51   #9
theshaneler

in terms of quality ICS is mid range and cybergun is low

i would put this gun solidly in the low quality range.
a great backup or rental gun, but i would not want it as a main gun.

as far as upgrading it goes, i would say its not worth it. to get upgrades working nicely and making a noticeable difference, you would more than likely have to replace everything, which would cost more than the gun itself.

as said earlier, run it into the ground and then look into getting a higher quality gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curo View Post
Look at all the fucks no one gives Miles, look at them. There is a lot of fucks not being given.
theshaneler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 00:06   #10
Styrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshaneler View Post
in terms of quality ICS is mid range and cybergun is low
You're confusing apples with kiwis.

That gun is an ICS, rebranded by Cybergun.

Old December 30th, 2011, 00:20   #11
theshaneler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
You're confusing apples with kiwis.

That gun is an ICS, rebranded by Cybergun.
whatchew talken bout willis? im saying ics guns are middle of the road and cybergun low end in terms of quality. had nothing to do with the gun he bought, just making a general statement of the brands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curo View Post
Look at all the fucks no one gives Miles, look at them. There is a lot of fucks not being given.
theshaneler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 09:00   #12
wildcard

Send a message via MSN to wildcard Send a message via Yahoo to wildcard
Quote:
whatchew talken bout willis? im saying ics guns are middle of the road and cybergun low end in terms of quality. had nothing to do with the gun he bought, just making a general statement of the brands.
Cybergun don't make guns they rebrand them from different manufactrer they can be as cheap and horrid as those cansoft or they can be as high quality as King Arms, they do have rebranded King Arms and Classic army in their stock selection
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 09:11   #13
GRIM
PMC84X - AV Status Revoked.

Exactly! Cybergun has a good selection of guns, my G&G F2000 was a rebranded Cybergun, basically they make a pretty box, and get Trademarks on the guns.

Nothing wrong with high quality Cyberguns.

BTW that Mp5 is a ICS Mp5, its the same quality as the tinted one sold at Mach1Airsoft.

So IMO, its as good as any ICS Sold at Mach1... only issue is that clear bodys tend to crack more, so if you wanna do any upgrades get a metal upper.

Def not a bad gun.
GRIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 10:21   #14
kalnaren

The Mechbox will probably hold out fine the way it is. ICS's halfbreeds aren't as high quality internally as their full metal offerings but they work.

You'd probably be better off going with inexpensive upgrades -like a hop-up rubber, T/N barrel, etc.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 20:33   #15
Styrak

Quote:
Again you're saying his gun is middle of the road, then saying his gun it's low end.

It has everything to do with the gun he bought.
In this case, Cybergun = ICS. It's an ICS product with the Cybergun name on it.

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank