Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Is This Normal?

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old August 7th, 2009, 11:56   #1
[]D[][]\/[][]D

Is This Normal?

I installed a bunch of Prometheus parts in my SIG 552 gearbox, including a cylinder head, aluminum piston head, hard piston, MS110 spring, and smoother spring guide. I probably didn't even fire more than 500 rounds with the new setup, but when I took my gearbox apart the other day, I noticed that some of the rubber on the pad on the cylinder head had been chipped away or rubbed off extremly hard. Is this supposed to be normal? I did fire most of the shots dry, cause I was testing my MOSFET switch. Could that be the cause?
[]D[][]\/[][]D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 16:53   #2
mirrage

If by "dry" you mean that you didn't lube the cylinder head then I think that this is the cause of the damagef rubber.
To be 100% sure wait for others with greater experience to answer as well cause I play for only 6 months.Although I think that they will say the same.
Old August 7th, 2009, 16:53   #3
dpvu

Send a message via MSN to dpvu
Where is the rubber coming off? Near the outside edges or near the center edge?

Also, avoid dry-firing. It puts heavy strain on the mechbox shell, piston, piston head and cylinder head. Without any resistance from a BB or muzzle cap, your piston is free to slam full force into the cylinder head and that energy is transferred to your mechbox shell.
Old August 8th, 2009, 13:22   #4
Con Murder

What kind of piston head and nozzle? I have heard that alluminium will do damage at high velocity.
Con Murder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 13:29   #5
Mitchell12
vision impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpvu View Post

Also, avoid dry-firing. It puts heavy strain on the mechbox shell, piston, piston head and cylinder head. Without any resistance from a BB or muzzle cap, your piston is free to slam full force into the cylinder head and that energy is transferred to your mechbox shell.
It's not THAT bad, There is still resistance, it's pushing all that air through a little few millimeter hole. Avoid it yea but it shouldn't be overly feared.
Mitchell12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 13:54   #6
Amos

When Marui says "Dry fire" they equate it to roughly 50 dry shots.

A couple dry-fires to clear the chamber is just fine... but don't go walking around with your finger holding down the trigger in auto.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 14:29   #7
[]D[][]\/[][]D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrage View Post
If by "dry" you mean that you didn't lube the cylinder head then I think that this is the cause of the damagef rubber.
To be 100% sure wait for others with greater experience to answer as well cause I play for only 6 months.Although I think that they will say the same.
No, I lubed the entire inside of the cylinder, piston head o-ring, and sides of the piston where the grooves are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpvu View Post

The rubber is coming off the outside edges of the cylinder head rubber pad. There's even six dot impressions left on it from my piston head vents.

Like what Amos said, I only dry fired to check if the chamber was clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Murder View Post
What kind of piston head and nozzle? I have heard that alluminium will do damage at high velocity.
I got a Prometheus Aluminum Piston Head and a Prometheus Air Seal Nozzle. I know that aluminum will do damage at high velocity as well, but I only have a 110 spring installed.

I think it's because I had a lot of problems installing my MOSFET switch. Because I was testing it out a lot in dry fire mode. I did this because I wanted to get it right before I completely put the AEG back together. I just didn't know that a 110 spring could be so harsh.
[]D[][]\/[][]D is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications