Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Newbie needs advice

:

General

Old February 26th, 2006, 16:54   #16
Bokster

Well I'm tryin to get a gun that is as accurate to the real steel as possible, and has enough power to actually shoot holes through cans while plinking. The KJW is a good contender, but how is its upgradeability? Is it easy to find high flow valves and springs for them? And are there grips with the berreta logo on them to replace the KJ ones?
Bokster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 21:22   #17
Greylocks

If you want a gun for plinking, airsoft is NOT for you. I think you have the wrong idea about what they are capable of doing.

If you want to shoot accurately and punch holes in cans, you need an air pistol. If you want an airsoft gun to do those things, expect to lay out a LOT of cash.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 21:34   #18
Bokster

I have looked into air pistols, but the thing is I still want to play little wargames with my buddies, and air pistols could literally kill, so for now I'm just looking for plinking until some of my buddies get their weapons as well. The holes through cans bit was just cause I saw a review at redwolf that said it could be possible with minimal upgrades. The thing is that last year I bought an EBB desert eagle cause I was pretty strapped for cash, but I really wanted to do some indoor target practice without running the risk of dammaging anything. This year its time to go for more power!
Old February 26th, 2006, 23:18   #19
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylocks
If you want to shoot accurately and punch holes in cans, you need an air pistol.
Actually that's one thing I love about plinking with airsoft; I put a plastic bottle on a a pole and i can shoot at that thing for half an hour before i need to replace it. More shooting, less, lining cans up! woo! Err, i mean, Yee-Haw.
Old February 27th, 2006, 00:12   #20
Rumpel Felt

Send a message via MSN to Rumpel Felt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokster
Well I'm tryin to get a gun that is as accurate to the real steel as possible, and has enough power to actually shoot holes through cans while plinking. The KJW is a good contender, but how is its upgradeability? Is it easy to find high flow valves and springs for them? And are there grips with the berreta logo on them to replace the KJ ones?
You still thinking in the expensive 'don't get what you pay for' world of TM. The KJ comes with all the upgrades you want and the mags are better and do not leak at all, ever. Like I said, try and find one of the KJ's with trades or put other grips on it to cover KJ trades.
Rumpel Felt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 02:34   #21
Bokster

I'm confused between the M9 Full Metal and the M9 1A Full Metal though, is one more powerful than the other? Is one a better skirmisher than the other? Is it just the look? Upgradability?
Old February 27th, 2006, 06:30   #22
Greylocks

Quote:
I have looked into air pistols, but the thing is I still want to play little wargames with my buddies, and air pistols could literally kill, so for now I'm just looking for plinking until some of my buddies get their weapons as well. The holes through cans bit was just cause I saw a review at redwolf that said it could be possible with minimal upgrades. The thing is that last year I bought an EBB desert eagle cause I was pretty strapped for cash, but I really wanted to do some indoor target practice without running the risk of dammaging anything. This year its time to go for more power!
You dont get it do you?
Airsoft guns are NOT accurate.
If you want one to punch holes in cans, the upgrades will be expensive. Like, in the hundreds of dollars extra.
If you then want to play against folks with that gun, you put them at risk of injuries (want to shoot someone with a gun that goes through cans???).
Is there a reason why you want to risk hurting people?
Did you read through the Information section yet?
Have you gone to a local game to see what folks use?
Old February 27th, 2006, 12:47   #23
Dracheous
Lego Head

Quote:
I'm confused between the M9 Full Metal and the M9 1A Full Metal though, is one more powerful than the other? Is one a better skirmisher than the other? Is it just the look? Upgradability?

Its just a different model gun, thats all. One is the G.I. one is the Elite. Just look at the two guns beside each other and you'll see differences, most noteably and the only one that really stands out; is along the barrel there is a round kind of rise in the slide frame.

But Greylocks is right, you're looking for the wrong thing here. Because an airgun can punch holes in cans is because of two things; 1. The power behind the projectile 2. The weight of the round because its metal. If you were to stick a plastic BB ((if you could find one in .177 cal.)) in an airgun with it weighing .20g chances are that the round will still not penitrate the can. A cylinder is one of the strongest shapes (ever wonder why light houses are built like cylinders, its because when an on coming wave crashes against it, the weight of the blow is tranfered evenly around the structure, dissappating((sp?)) the brunt of the blow)), so you need to have a good punch to actually put a hole in the can.

Airsoft is designed for one thing and one thing only, war game simulation. They were not designed to punch holes in cans, or were they designed to most acurately recreate the gun they look like. But, people do use them to "plink" things as for target practice and such. If you want to put holes in something, get a peice of stryofoam from your local Home Depo ((go for the blue insulant stuff)) and staple it to the wall in your basement, and staple a paper target sheet on it. Once you do this, your EBB will even put holes in it. And the Foam should let the round stick in, or just fall to the floor.

Hey Greylocks, this is part of the reason I got out of competitive airgun shooting. Now its all about how much money you can spend on your gun. It used to be simple. Weight, Barrel Length, and Caliber. Now its... tightbores, and speed cockers, and jimmijawhozits... people seem to have been awed by this "upgrade" ability so much that they forget what they're playing with.
Dracheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 16:35   #24
Greylocks

I understand. Personally I find few things more accurate than a really good air pistol. And by good, I mean far FAR better than Canadian Tire offerings.
Old February 27th, 2006, 17:04   #25
Dracheous
Lego Head

Hey now... not all the stuff C.T. sells is bad... I bought my Walter P99 Nighthawk about 5 years ago, its pretty god damned accurate. And I bought it LONG before C.T. started selling them... :P..

-.- god I am so upset that my favorite airpistol is now with the likes of... C.T!...
Old February 27th, 2006, 19:27   #26
Greylocks

By good I mean guns that shoot in the same hole at 25 yards, consistently.
Old February 27th, 2006, 19:30   #27
Moderate

Did C.T. take off their "soft air" line up? They don't appear on the website any longer, and I don't regularly vist C.T. unless i need a lightbulb or a hammer.
Moderate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 20:21   #28
Dracheous
Lego Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by moderatesniper
Did C.T. take off their "soft air" line up? They don't appear on the website any longer, and I don't regularly vist C.T. unless i need a lightbulb or a hammer.

Yeah, they're cutting back on their soft air side of things. Too many kids using them to get in trouble. And now with them using pellet guns too, who knows what that will mean for C.T. being the once great place to get your young ones a god damn daisy...

Its sickening, it really REALLY is. You wait all your damn summers to finally get your FAC, and now you have to fight to keep your guns. And its just more and more shit being shovelled in your face. What happened? Thats what I want to know. What happened to the good ol' days of fathers being able to trust a kid with an airgun and the most he'd ever kill is a squirell!
Old February 27th, 2006, 20:24   #29
Valkyrie

Send a message via MSN to Valkyrie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracheous
Its sickening, it really REALLY is. You wait all your damn summers to finally get your FAC, and now you have to fight to keep your guns. And its just more and more shit being shovelled in your face. What happened? Thats what I want to know. What happened to the good ol' days of fathers being able to trust a kid with an airgun and the most he'd ever kill is a squirell!
Well, clearly the issue is violence in movies and video games!

Or gangs. I think its gangs.

*ponders*

Must be.

[vulnerant omnes, ultima necat]
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 20:40   #30
Dracheous
Lego Head

Alright... let's say it is the violence in games and movies, we'd better go back in time to undo all the mental damage that was done to kids by old westerns. Maybe we should outlaw cowboys and indians, or cops and robbers! There was just as much violence back then as there is now, only now its in colour! And with new super cool toys out there that have lables 18+ on them.... hmmm... yeah... must be the gangs... -.-
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General