Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

are airsoft guns water proof

:

Newbie Tank

Old May 24th, 2009, 21:44   #1
comrade1
Post counts are important

are airsoft guns water proof

I saw these videos on people submerging there airsoft (VFC) guns in water and i wondered if all guns are capable of doing the same... do any of you have any knowledge of airsoft guns surviving water
YouTube - VFC SCAR water test

thanks
Old May 24th, 2009, 21:51   #2
Crunchmeister

No reason you can't do this with any other airsoft gun except a PTW. You'd kill a battery pretty fast leaving it underwater, but there's no reason you can't do this with anything from a Kraken to a VFC.

But after submerging it like that, I'd be taking it apart to dry out the water and relubricate to prevent steel parts from rusting.
Old May 24th, 2009, 21:59   #3
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Send a message via MSN to AngelusNex
you can do exactly what they did in that video with absolutely any non-paper weight guns (so systemas are a no go).
Why you would want to do this I don't want to know.

Last edited by AngelusNex; May 24th, 2009 at 22:02.. Reason: typo
AngelusNex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 22:02   #4
Crunchmeister

Personally, I see these videos as pretty pointless since any AEG can do it. Submerging a gun isn't good for the battery and will kill it quickly. And it's not good for the motor either, so it's not recommended to do it. But there's really no reason you can't do it with any gun.
Old May 24th, 2009, 22:17   #5
HeadlessChicken

I think the guy may have watched FutureWeapons a little too much, refering to the episode where they showed off the HK416.
"Hey I'm the first one to say its a great country but its a straaaaange culture. This is a place where gun store owners are given a list of stolen credit cards but not a list of CRIMINALS and MANIACS. And now they're thinking of banning toy guns...AND THEY'RE GONNA KEEP THE F**KING REAL ONES!"
-George Carlin 1937 - 2008 (RIP buddy)
HeadlessChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 22:35   #6
Lakonian
kos

I love how people do these pointless tests....
Lakonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 22:41   #7
Amos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kos View Post
I love how people do these pointless tests....
It works, It amazed a new player..

If these were widely available, that would be enough to amaze a new player into buying one

Aaaaalll about the marketing
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 22:54   #8
DarkAngel
* Age Verifier status suspended *

Send a message via MSN to DarkAngel
Why dont you try and stick a toaster into your bathtub and find out if it works under water?

This way you can find out how electricity works!

Unless you plan to strip down your entire gun, strip apart your gearbox, wipe it clean, replace the motor (Cause theres no way in hell ur gonna get into all the nooks and crannies of your motor to dry it off) and magnets are made of ferrite (which rusts like CRAZY). Doing this would be VERY stupid as many parts would rust.

If you submerge it (from hiding in a pond or whatever) The least you can do is tie a condom around the barrel grease up the interior of your receiver and between the cracks of body parts (grip, stock, ejection port cover) and put a waterproof bag or some kind of encasement for your battery, wiring and switch assembly.

This will help with the amount of water in the gun, but is still NOT recommended.
This is also why i refuse to work on water damaged guns.

Certified Sniper Clinic Instructor and Counter Sniper
Sentinel Arms Customs - Specializing In Unique, One of a kind guns

Last edited by DarkAngel; May 24th, 2009 at 23:01..
DarkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 23:03   #9
mcguyver

I wouldn't submerge a PTW, nor any gun with electronic controls (Trigger Master, whatever).

I wouldn't be too worried about rusting steel parts on any AEG, most have little more than the occasional screw being steel at best. The motor would survive fine, but it's life expectancy would be reduced as the arc damage from the brushes on the comm would be pretty good with water as an insulator. DC does not flow very well through water.

The switch might not like the water very much either.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 01:45   #10
sortie39
Banned

afterall,they are toys with extremely different internals!!but i do have the exprience of exploding a GBB(TM advanced G26) in a waterproof test.
sortie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:25   #11
SHÖCK
aka SNK or Shaniqua

If you want to play airsoft in your swimming pool or a Seals extraction team coming up through the waves onto a beach, go invest in some gas powered airsoft, either 1980s variety or the newer GBB ones.
Old May 25th, 2009, 03:42   #12
Cuddles

time to make an underwater field
Cuddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 07:31   #13
comrade1
Post counts are important

Ok thanks for the information guys... I was planing on trying it at some point but I just wanted to make sure that my gun didn't blow up in my face or pop out of the water to find myself staring down the barrels of 20 guys wile my gun decides not to shoot...

thanks
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:59   #14
incrediboy729

Send a message via AIM to incrediboy729 Send a message via Yahoo to incrediboy729
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade1 View Post
I saw these videos on people submerging there airsoft (VFC) guns in water and i wondered if all guns are capable of doing the same... do any of you have any knowledge of airsoft guns surviving water
YouTube - VFC SCAR water test

thanks
Could? Yes. Should it be done, no. You would have to spend hours ripping apart your gun and cleaning and drying and oiling EVERYTHING. Not to mention all the drying in the world wouldn't prevent damage from occuring to motor, maybe flashlights if you have them etc.

Wow, look how when he puts it together he lays it upside down and pushes the lower on while it's set on the scope! :O
Old May 25th, 2009, 20:26   #15
SHÖCK
aka SNK or Shaniqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade1 View Post
Ok thanks for the information guys... I was planing on trying it at some point but I just wanted to make sure that my gun didn't blow up in my face or pop out of the water to find myself staring down the barrels of 20 guys wile my gun decides not to shoot...

thanks
Don't - trying it with a live battery inside your gun is very stupid can cause you injury through electrocution or if it is a lipo, it can explode in your hands.

Mechanicals will be alright. Electrical could be very dangerous. Again, if you want to do this, use a gas powered gun.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank