Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

G&G UMG, Good Buy?

:

Newbie Tank

Old October 18th, 2009, 05:00   #1
ExpertAdviceMan

Send a message via MSN to ExpertAdviceMan
G&G UMG, Good Buy?

Hey everyone, I'm a n00b at Airsoft but have Canadian Army Reserve training. I'm wondering if the G&G UMG is a good buy? for $500 with an extra mag and a 9.6V battery upgrade http://www.mach1airsoft.com/web/search.php?search=UMG It better be a good buy. I LOVE the UMG look but I don't know if my friend getting a GR16 R4 Carbine would beat me head to head. Good or bad buy? Thanks for any help

Also my friend and I are starting up a team in Durham, looking for people. Anyone interested?
Old October 18th, 2009, 05:21   #2
lawldragon

For longer woodland games the GR16 might get better range than the UMG. For short range CQB games, the UMG would give you an advantage since it is smaller and therefore more maneuverable. That is not to say that the UMG is a bad choice - I've seen an upgraded UMG EASILY outshoot an M16 at 150+ m (no extended barrel).

Honestly though - getting AV'd is also a good idea. Not only do you get a great selection at pre-upgraded guns but you also get some more new guns to pick from. Getting a pre-upgraded gun also offers another advantage - you save the money and labour down the road, not to mention that upgraded parts should last longer than stocks.
lawldragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:12   #3
MoreToasties
Art affectionado

I was getting ready to buy it until I found out how hard it was to get magazines.

The included magazine is also very flimsy, at least in the model I tried out.

Overall it's a nice gun though, comfortable to hold but a bit light/

MoreToasties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 13:51   #4
ExpertAdviceMan

Thanks for the replies guys,

Lawldragon I know what you mean about CQB which is why I like the gun, I like the close range and getting up close and personal with all the action... as wrong as that may sound, I mean shooting each other :P

MoreToasties, your probably right about the mags, they are rediculously large for a gun, but you gotta love the style of the gun. About the weight, I would rather have a gun with a more realistic sense of weight, I'll look more into that.
Old October 18th, 2009, 13:52   #5
Skladfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawldragon View Post
For longer woodland games the GR16 might get better range than the UMG. For short range CQB games, the UMG would give you an advantage since it is smaller and therefore more maneuverable. That is not to say that the UMG is a bad choice - I've seen an upgraded UMG EASILY outshoot an M16 at 150+ m (no extended barrel).

Honestly though - getting AV'd is also a good idea. Not only do you get a great selection at pre-upgraded guns but you also get some more new guns to pick from. Getting a pre-upgraded gun also offers another advantage - you save the money and labour down the road, not to mention that upgraded parts should last longer than stocks.

lawl 150m

you mean feet haha
Skladfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 13:57   #6
scurvythepirate

Although UMG's can look "cool" the reason a lot of people don't use them is because its almost impossible to find magazine pouches for them. That's if you want to carry extra magazines, which is highly recommended.
Remember if you get a UMG that it will have shorter range and magazine pouch acquiring problems.
If I were you I'd get a M4 to start. Just because of ease of use.
Old October 18th, 2009, 14:29   #7
MoreToasties
Art affectionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpertAdviceMan View Post
MoreToasties, your probably right about the mags, they are rediculously large for a gun, but you gotta love the style of the gun. About the weight, I would rather have a gun with a more realistic sense of weight, I'll look more into that.
Yeah, theres an odd juxtaposition with it. It feels very high quality, but at the same time, lightweight and thin.

Especially the magazine, I would much prefer an all metal one, but tracking one down would be extremely difficult.

MoreToasties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 15:22   #8
stealthy1

May I suggest maybe a compromise? Perhaps an MP5 variant with a foldable stock might be a better choice? Mag acquisition usually isn't a problem, but you might still have that mag pounch problem, albeit you could measure the dimensions and see if you can't improvise using M4 mag pouches.
Old October 18th, 2009, 15:28   #9
Mitchell12
vision impaired

Get AV'd and stop ignoring the topic.
Mitchell12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 18:21   #10
ExpertAdviceMan

Ya, so Im guessing Ill get a GR16 R4 or something with accessories. Pretty much the same price for a UMG and it might last me longer in skirmish. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old October 18th, 2009, 18:51   #11
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

lol extra HICAP mag = extra fail
Old October 18th, 2009, 20:04   #12
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw

Location: Mississauga, ON -- The Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurvythepirate View Post
Although UMG's can look "cool" the reason a lot of people don't use them is because its almost impossible to find magazine pouches for them. That's if you want to carry extra magazines, which is highly recommended.
Remember if you get a UMG that it will have shorter range and magazine pouch acquiring problems.
If I were you I'd get a M4 to start. Just because of ease of use.
Just wanted to clarify some misconceptions from this post.

First off, its not "impossible" to locate mag pouches for the UMP/P90. Yes they are unconventional but they just require looking a little more. A simple search of "UMP P90 mag pouch" in Google will yield a wide range of sites to purchase mag pouches in a number of styles, colors etc...

Second of all the mags. Again their not "impossible" to find, again it just takes a little more effort which some people here seem to be allergic to. "G&G UMP UMG magazine" in Google will give you a number of places to order from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
This is the equivalent to knocking on deaths door and blowing his head off with a shotgun.
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 21:41   #13
Gunny_McSmith
a.k.a. Palucol

lol you just missed a deal... jsut sold mine for 280$ shipped (with hicap, and 9.6V battery) XD

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank