Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Starting up - need some tips

:

Newbie Tank

Old November 17th, 2015, 01:18   #1
PenDdraig

Question Starting up - need some tips

So, me, a 21 year old guy and a few of my friends decided recently that we would like to get together and try out airsoft. We've all done paintball before in the past, but we'd like to give a go at something (based on what we've gathered) more mature.

I'm not really sure where we/I should begin.

I'm from the Sarnia, Ontario area and I am looking for fields in the area. We've done some quick searches and have found a couple fields in London, ON. But we're curious if there is something a little closer. Basically, I'm asking if there were maybe some little known fields closer to our location. If not, London is fine, it's not a huge issue for us to go there.

Second thing is, what exactly would we need to get started, besides the obvious, an airsoft gun. From my understanding, different fields have different rules on fps, protection, etc. So, I've been hesitant on purchasing anything, in fear of buying things i won't need or can't use. Money isn't a huge problem, but since we're just starting out I'd like a list of things that would be necessary vs things I may need later on, but not necessarily right away.

Anyways, any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

EDIT:

One last thing, I'll probably be purchasing a gun from Forest City Surplus, in London.. This is a link to their current stock, if you could take a look at what they have, and what you may suggest as a good first gun. That would be awesome.

Again, thanks.

Last edited by PenDdraig; November 17th, 2015 at 02:24..
PenDdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 01:45   #2
Handsonic
"I like syrup on my blue waffles." #diseasedvagina

Welcome to the wild and wonderful world of airsoft!
The first few things you need to know when starting up this hobby/lifestyle are:
1. It's expensive
2. Getting age verified on this forum is a great idea
3. Do LOTS of research on Youtube, Google and with the search function on this forum

The things you MUST bring to an airsoft game are a gun (preferably an AEG for new players), a battery for that gun, a smart charger for that battery, high grade BB's from an actual airsoft store (none of that Walmart or Canadian Tire crap unless you want to break your gun), and of course, eye/face protection.

Before making a single purchase, I highly recommend renting equipment and seeing if you even like the sport. You don't want to spend $500+ and then find out it's not for you. Doing this will also allow you to see what equipment you want to buy for yourself. I personally made the mistake of buying stuff before playing airsoft, and when I went to my first game, I realized that I would have to replace a few things that I bought.

Though some people may say otherwise, I think full face masks are lame. They usually fog very easily, they offer minimal head protection (I have been shot in the top of the head, where masks don't usually reach, and they don't protect the back of your head either), they make it really hard to get ear gear, and your customization/sizing options are limited.

Every field I've been to/looked at has only required the full-seal eye protection for adults (with varying requirements for minors).

My personal choice for a starting setup would be:
- Full seal (NOT MESH!) goggles
- Mesh mouth+ear protection (you do not want to lose a tooth and I've heard getting shot in the ear hurts like crazy)
- Helmet (even a bike helmet will do for your first few games, getting shot in the head is the worst pain I've experienced in airsoft so far)
- PADDED gloves (my first pair of gloves were not padded, I ended up getting shot in the fingers and knuckles 5+ times on my first day. Didn't play airsoft again until I got padded ones)
- Boots with good ankle support
- A scarf or some other form of neck protection
- An AEG + compatible battery + compatible SMART charger (DO NOT use standard wall chargers that sometimes come with your gun. They will destroy your battery!)
- 0.20g BB's

When selecting your first AEG, the best option is an M4 of some kind. M4's have the most customization options, the most replacement/upgrade parts available on the market, and are very effective in almost any scenario (unless you get a super duper long one). For prices, I have been told never to buy cheaper than $250, and to aim for at least $350 AEG's. In airsoft you get what you pay for. You should also consider what you intend to do with your gun. Do you want to put accessories like red dot sights, scopes, flashlights, lasers, grenade launchers, grips, bipods, etc. on it? Do you want it to have a folding and/or extending stock? Do you want the burst-fire option?

Now, I can't tell you WHERE to get these guns, since you are not age verified yet, which is a good reason for why you should go through the age verification process.

All the best!

Last edited by Handsonic; November 17th, 2015 at 01:56..
Handsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 02:16   #3
brock0

I would suggest you check out all the other threads where the gear question has been asked and answered numerous times.

You need good eye pro, an AEG with a battery, some hi cap magazines, and some cargo pants to start playing - that's it.

The FC surplus stock is trash for the most part. Anything ICS or G&G would be the best of the worst there.

Last edited by brock0; November 17th, 2015 at 02:21..
brock0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2015, 12:17   #4
double-0-newb

As a fellow noob, thanks for the link to the retailer; so far it's one of the few that carries the very interesting GSG® G14.
Old November 18th, 2015, 16:33   #5
w1lp33

Unforunately there aren't many fields near Sarnia. I'm also from Sarnia, and can say be prepared to commute and carpool to events :-) The closest you'll likely find will be FlagSwipe in London, Adrenaline in London, TFS in Thamesville, and there are a couple of private fields around, but usually their members will want to play with you a few times at other fields first before inviting. Oh, and there's HighlandStorm airsoft somewhere around Southern Ontario, but I'm not actually sure where their field is.
w1lp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2015, 19:27   #6
Zfurlong

The bare minimum is eyepro, gun, battery, mag, and bbs.
Here's what I recommend.
Locust style goggles with foam removed
Metal mesh lower
Gloves of some sort (preferably padded or hard knuckle)
Good boots
A basic g&g m4 platform
Red dot sight
.28g bbs
A speedloader
7.4v lipo battery (or two)
Smart charger

When you go to a game, don't be hesitant about talking to some of the more senior players (by that I mean most of the guys decked out in full gear) and ask them about their gear and guns, some of them may be willing to let you handle their guns to see if it's something that feels comfortable to you. Stay away from anything bolt action for your first gun. If you show up with your own gun already bought, go and ask the senior guys to show you some of the key features on your gun. (Hop up, adjusting sights, etc).
Find out who some of the gun docs/techs are in your area ASAP so you will know who to contact if your gun stops working.
Old November 18th, 2015, 20:54   #7
NoGear
likes being humiliated

Don't buy a Sniper~.

In all seriousness just go out and play a few games (rent) and if its fun then figure out a budget to play. I suggest trying to manhandle as many willing player's weapons as possible so you can get a good feel for the type of gun you want.
NoGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2015, 21:00   #8
w1lp33

I'd say but up a Friday night firefight or Sunday game at flag swipe paintball, talk off the ears of everyone there, we all love showing off our guns and gear, and you can rent any equipment you may need if you haven't already gotten stuff.
w1lp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank