Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Difference Between Airsoft and Paintball

:

General

Closed Thread

Old January 10th, 2009, 07:49   #1
[]D[][]\/[][]D

Difference Between Airsoft and Paintball

I was hanging out with this old friend of mine from elementary school last night. I haven't seen this guy since then either. So he tells me that he plays paintball often and that I should get into it. So I tell him that I play airsoft and that HE should get into it. He's never even heard of the sport/game/term airsoft before and he starts telling me that it's for gay people and stuff. So me and him get into a heated debate about the difference between airsoft and paintball. He's kind of a hard headed guy, so our debate never really went anywhere. I always grew up thinking that airsoft was way better than paintball from a very young age and I have always thought like that. I don't even know paintball too well because I thought that way and just never bothered to look into it. The only thing I know about paintball is when I see it on extreme sports channels on TV with those guys wearing MotoX gear and playing in tournament games like speedball. But being a guy who's really into military stuff, that stuff really never got me interested in it. So besides the type of guns and ammo we use in airsoft compared to paintball, what is the main difference between the 2 sprots?
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:00   #2
Bowers

Send a message via MSN to Bowers
Quote:
Originally Posted by []D[][]\/[][]D View Post
I was hanging out with this old friend of mine from elementary school last night. I haven't seen this guy since then either. So he tells me that he plays paintball often and that I should get into it. So I tell him that I play airsoft and that HE should get into it. He's never even heard of the sport/game/term airsoft before and he starts telling me that it's for gay people and stuff. So me and him get into a heated debate about the difference between airsoft and paintball. He's kind of a hard headed guy, so our debate never really went anywhere. I always grew up thinking that airsoft was way better than paintball from a very young age and I have always thought like that. I don't even know paintball too well because I thought that way and just never bothered to look into it. The only thing I know about paintball is when I see it on extreme sports channels on TV with those guys wearing MotoX gear and playing in tournament games like speedball. But being a guy who's really into military stuff, that stuff really never got me interested in it. So besides the type of guns and ammo we use in airsoft compared to paintball, what is the main difference between the 2 sprots?
sounds like a logical argument for something hes never heard about
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:30   #3
pipefitter316

Most paintballers also have a big mouth , always saying airsoft is gay and is for kids. But i know a few paintballers who have tried airsoft and now there hooked. There a ton od difference airsoft is milsim to the max, instead of hiding behind a inflatable square i would sooner be under an old moss covered tree trunk waiting to lay down a 6 mm fusilade.
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:31   #4
zone 69

Besides the difference's in the guns ammo and gear there seem's to be a difference in a player's additued.
I have played both panitball and now airsoft and in airsoft I find more comradery and Honesty in peep's.
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:43   #5
Azuki

Apples and oranges IMO.

I've played paintball for years before coming to airsoft. The sports going down though due to unsportsmanly conduct/immaturity etc. It's become too competitive and over-diversified. I still have my equipment, but I gave up fast shooting speedball type setups and went pump. Pump paintball still has it's charm intact (luckily) and the community is awesome. I never really saw paintball as a mil-sim sport (I was actually somewhat against mil simmers in paintball and, to this day, I still am to an extent). In terms of force on force game quality, paintball is more fun due to the faster paced games and less "tactical" feel of things. The type of pain from getting hit from a paintball is different (hurts a wee bit more) but in some ways that fear of pain makes things more fun. Of course, thats just my humble opinion.

Basically, if you're comparing mil-sim aspects, there isn't much of a difference between the two IN GENERAL. However the age restrictions on paintball are obviously lower, and in terms of the community I've noticed more maturity on ASC. If you're comparing speedball to airsoft matches, its completely different. From what I've noticed, the percentage of people coming into paintball seeking the mil sim side of the sport over the speedball side has been steadily growing (it's now well into the majority). Speedball (the type of game I like play) is somewhat like your typical fast paced league sports like basketball/lacross etc. instead of being like a military simulation. But at this point equipment/over competitiveness etc. have begun to wear at the integrity of the sport . Due to these little problems many older speedballers will often opt for a relaxing mil-sim game now and then to get away from buzz. (Immature kids/big kids aside) Many scenario games are actually quite well orchestrated and are very comparable both in atmosphere and intensity (but not cleanliness) to airsoft games.

Basically if I had to sum it up... if you like mil-sim, stick to airsoft. BUT if you want to try something new give paintball a shot as, unto itself (despite the few problems), it's a great sport.

Hope this helps dude .

WA SV Infinity 5" Classic

Last edited by Azuki; January 10th, 2009 at 08:46..
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:14   #6
HGI

I used to play on a paintball team doing speed ball tournaments, really fun but as soon as you head into the bush to do any milsim type of game it just doesn't cut it. I never even heard or see airsoft in my life until I went to my buddies house who him and another friend came home with a glock 17 and a m9 gbb. I was instantly sold on airsoft. Both sports are fun, and the thing about paintball is if your buddies birthday it's not hard to rent a bunch of pantball markers and have a great afternoon where it's not quite like that for airsoft. Like Azuki said, I enjoy the more mature audience at airsoft games than paintball games.
Old January 10th, 2009, 11:49   #7
NovaKaynE

I've said it once before: Paintball is the special olympics of airsoft.

Humor aside. You don't have to worry about paint ruining/staining your gear. Although running around in the mud seems like a logical 'other side of the fence' argument against that, it's what our gear is made for. Get it dirty.

Our game isn't as popular as paintball so in my view, it doesn't get as much negative feedback from morons shooting moving cars or pedestrians. There have been a few occasions where this has happened with airsoft guns, but not as many as paintball. That's why I kind of like how it's harder to get AS into Canada.

It's far more realistic than paintball. Having played both games, airsoft is by far a more enjoyable game.
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:10   #8
L473ncy

I enjoy airsoft more because of the more mature player and the community that we've built ourselves around.

I can pretty much go anywhere in Canada and meet airsofters who are cool guys. Hey, it happened here in Alberta, I pretty much didn't know anyone before I came to school here and now I'm great friends with one of the other players here. It's like a fraternity except the thing that holds us together is our love of "playing army man" on the weekend.

I have played paintball too but I think it's nice to throw it into the mix to keep things interesting. Airsoft is fun but sometimes if I'm feeling like it I'll play a few rounds of paintball instead.

I wouldn't consider myself a "true milsimmer" though, I prefer a more woodsball-scrim style of play but having said that a milsim isn't too much of a deviation for me, I might as well try it out and see if I like it.

I don't like ripping on paintball but the times I did play (public session) I found that it's 75% "extreme man, yeah dude totally hardcore" asshat kind of guys and 25% guys who are chill. The time I played in private session (cousin's friend booked a field and we all played) it was great, just like airsoft except with paint.

I don't think there's too much difference, really it's just the composition of people, and the style of play that's different.
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:28   #9
[]D[][]\/[][]D

I also remember reading somewhere that airsofters don't really get along with paintballers. I guess that was the case with me and my friend.

Paintball never really got me interested in it because of how the guns have huge CO2 tanks on the back and a tube barrel on top to hold the paintballs. It just doesn't look like a real gun. The whole reason what brought me into airsoft is how real the guns look and being a military/gun nut from a young age.

My friend was telling me though that they do have similar mil-sim type of games in paintball. I just don't see it as a true form of mil-sim when you're using paintball guns and wearing MotoX gear.
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:41   #10
Moderate

Compared to the paintball I played...it's the exact same thing except our guns look cooler, ammo is cheaper, and I don't have to wash my gear after every game...well...I should but I'm just gross.
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:55   #11
Daviday

Send a message via MSN to Daviday
Airsoft has a more real feel to it then paintball.
besides who the hell want paint crap all over your gear.
Personally I’m not a fan of the cyberspace guns and huge hoppers in the corner of my right eye.Most paint ballers assume Airsoft is way too expensive, but in the long hall it's some much cheaper then paintball.I like the realism of a milsim is one of my definitions of F.U.N, but it's next to the real deal only in really life there no Re-spawns.
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:59   #12
[]D[][]\/[][]D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviday View Post
but it's next to the real deal only in really life there no Re-spawns.
Wouldn't it be cool if you could respawn though! LOL
Old January 10th, 2009, 13:03   #13
Daiviet
Captain Sunshine

Airsoft all the way. When I was younger I wanted to get into paintball, but when I discovered airsoft I was hooked. My buddy is actually into paintball but I'm not sure what aspect of it. His markers are shaped in the form of an MP5k and an M4. Not bad actually, looks close enough. I asked him why he didn't get into airsoft and he told me because with paintball, whenever he gets the itch to play he can just head to the local field and start shooting. Doesn't have to wait for games to show up on the boards for local stuff etc.

To that end I agree. Paintball if you have an itch to shoot somebody and you can just go with your friends for a night and have fun, but thats just to settle. Airsoft all the way.
Old January 10th, 2009, 13:08   #14
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Alrighty

Here is in this debate one of my principle complaints.

The activity of using an object to hurl a projectile to register a "hit" on an opposing player in the context of a competative game is 100% the same regarless of what you are using to hurl the projectile.

Playing " paintball" is exactly the same game as Playing "airsoft" arguing that they are different is like arguing that one glass of water is wetter than another.

The only departure is that paintballs leave a visible mark on the hit person.. wheras airsoft pellets rarely do meaning in one game the scoring is by visual observation.. in the other it is by tactile acknowledgement ( though clearly paintballs enable one to "feel their hits" better than airsoft guns )

Other than that .. its the same game .. you could play it with tennis balls if you wanted.. its essentially "tag at a distance"

Airsoft guns are markedly different .. in that they replicate real guns in form and in some ways function. which allows one to replicate the appearance real world shooters enabling more immersive simulations. Meaning "airsoft" play often takes the fofm of more structured scenarios. Though very many people like unstructured "skirmish" games that differ not at all from typical paintball games.

Personally I detest the term "airsofting" or playing "airsoft"

I prefer "tactical Simulation" or TACSIM or "military simulation" or MILSIM which is something that you really can't do with most paintball markers as they generally do not replicate the form of real weapons ( though some do )

Demographically Paintball is different than airsoft , as often children play paintball and adults participate in TACSIM or MILSIM ( though they don't always behave as adults )

ok.. that was a rant...
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Old January 10th, 2009, 13:11   #15
Daviday

Send a message via MSN to Daviday
Quote:
Originally Posted by []D[][]\/[][]D View Post
Wouldn't it be cool if you could respawn though! LOL
Aparently in the US Army you do!.....joking, but ya it would be.
Closed ThreadTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General