Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

KWA LM4 for a Lefty!?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old September 7th, 2012, 10:05   #1
djKail

KWA LM4 for a Lefty!?

So I am itching to get a new GBBR Rifle.....My KWA MP7 has served me well so I am thinking about trying the LM4. However, I am a lefty and can not seem to locate any information about adding an aftermarket ambi magazine release. Does anyone here have one installed or know if it can be done?

If I can't get an ambi magazine release I will probably have to wait for the AK! Who knows how much longer it will take KWA to get them out to retailers.
djKail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:11   #2
Strelok

Is it that difficult to use your other hand to release the mag? Lol.
Strelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:14   #3
MultipleParadox

Look at KWAUSA's forums, they have a section for the LM4 and a whole bunch of modification threads are available. I think I recall seeing this kind of mod with details, not too sure.

That being said, the LM4 is mostly milspec so chances are that most RS parts will fit with no to few modifications

GBBR- bang bang -- Giggle

AEG-- merrrzip merrzip -- meh
MultipleParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:33   #4
djKail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultipleParadox View Post
Look at KWAUSA's forums, they have a section for the LM4 and a whole bunch of modification threads are available. I think I recall seeing this kind of mod with details, not too sure.

That being said, the LM4 is mostly milspec so chances are that most RS parts will fit with no to few modifications
I remember that thread but their forums have been down for a few days now. I will keep checking back.
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:43   #5
kullwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultipleParadox View Post

.....about that....

LM4 can use RS parts that every other GBBR system also can use.
Handguard, Stock, Pistol Grip, Sights, and Delta Ring

It can't use RS selector (WE, Prime, Inokatsu can)
It can't use RS magazine release (KJW, WE, and ALL WA system can)
It can't use RS receiver extension plate (All other GBBR system can
It can't use RS charging handle (WE, Prime, and Inokatsu can)

The gun is like KJW, barely any RS parts will work.

For the gun, you won't find a lefty version (there isn't a lefty GBB M4)
You can't fit RS selector, charging handle and mag release. I think you might be able to use a RS AR-15 latch, WA selector though.
Old September 7th, 2012, 11:00   #6
djKail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kullwarrior View Post
.....about that....

LM4 can use RS parts that every other GBBR system also can use.
Handguard, Stock, Pistol Grip, Sights, and Delta Ring

It can't use RS selector (WE, Prime, Inokatsu can)
It can't use RS magazine release (KJW, WE, and ALL WA system can)
It can't use RS receiver extension plate (All other GBBR system can
It can't use RS charging handle (WE, Prime, and Inokatsu can)

The gun is like KJW, barely any RS parts will work.

For the gun, you won't find a lefty version (there isn't a lefty GBB M4)
You can't fit RS selector, charging handle and mag release. I think you might be able to use a RS AR-15 latch, WA selector though.
Yeah, that is what I thought. Thanks for the info....looks like I will be waiting for them to get the AK series out!
Old September 7th, 2012, 11:24   #7
Kos-Mos

You might want to try installing an AEG M4 mag release... if it fits, King Arms makes an ambi one.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 16:38   #8
Huron
GabeGuitarded

AR15 based guns are known for being pretty lefty-friendly as it is... Just takes practice like it would if you were new to it and right handed. You would have to remove your fire control hand to charge the gun and release the bolt though. The only gun I can think of that'd be better if you want something purpose built for left handed operation is the G36 series, because the bolt release is in the trigger guard, instead of on the left side of the receiver.
Old September 7th, 2012, 19:13   #9
mr_nuts31

I'm a lefty and I've used ARs both RS and airsoft. You don't really need an ambi mag release because you can use your right thumb to hit the mag release while gripping the magazine. As for the fire selector you can manipulate it with your trigger finger with a bit of effort, may feel weird, but you get used to it. The bolt release can be reached with your trigger finger unless you have short fingers. You can use the charging handle by using two fingers on opposite sides of the charging handle and pull, I wish I could show you pics of what I'm talking about.

I also understand your want for an AK because I use a WE AK74UN and it actually feels less awkward with your left hand. So overall it depends on your playing style, personally I can use either or, but I'm more familiar with an AR so I lean towards it.
mr_nuts31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 19:40   #10
Kos-Mos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeGuitarded View Post
AR15 based guns are known for being pretty lefty-friendly as it is... Just takes practice like it would if you were new to it and right handed. You would have to remove your fire control hand to charge the gun and release the bolt though. The only gun I can think of that'd be better if you want something purpose built for left handed operation is the G36 series, because the bolt release is in the trigger guard, instead of on the left side of the receiver.
Wrong on both...

The "official" way to cock the charging handle of the M4s is with the control/trigger hand. That lets you look for a failure to chamber and inspect the chamber while preventing you to "ride" the handle back.

The button the the G36s trigger well is the bolt LOCK, not release. You have to pull back the charging handle to unlock the bolt.
Old September 7th, 2012, 20:31   #11
Huron
GabeGuitarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kos-Mos View Post
Wrong on both...

The "official" way to cock the charging handle of the M4s is with the control/trigger hand. That lets you look for a failure to chamber and inspect the chamber while preventing you to "ride" the handle back.

The button the the G36s trigger well is the bolt LOCK, not release. You have to pull back the charging handle to unlock the bolt.
Then there's no reason for the CF to have put ambi latches on all of our charging handles, right? The original design was made before much practical thought was put into combat operation of the gun.

I'll admit I don't know much about G36s though. That's strange only to have a lock and not a release.
Old September 7th, 2012, 20:48   #12
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nuts31 View Post
I'm a lefty and I've used ARs both RS and airsoft. You don't really need an ambi mag release because you can use your right thumb to hit the mag release while gripping the magazine.
+1

Did this in the reserves with my C7 and still do this with my airsoft M4. I find it smoother to release the mag anyways.

Just saying. I realize it's personal preference but you might like different methods and hand positions if you practice them (can be said for many things in life haha)
Weps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 23:35   #13
Kos-Mos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeGuitarded View Post
Then there's no reason for the CF to have put ambi latches on all of our charging handles, right? The original design was made before much practical thought was put into combat operation of the gun.

I'll admit I don't know much about G36s though. That's strange only to have a lock and not a release.
Yeah, there is a very good reason, so that you STILL use your control hand to do the jam drill.

BUT when done properly, you can do it just fine with an A1 (one finger over each side, pull back with the arm, not the wrist, all the way to your cheek).
Old September 8th, 2012, 20:15   #14
djKail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nuts31 View Post
I'm a lefty and I've used ARs both RS and airsoft. You don't really need an ambi mag release because you can use your right thumb to hit the mag release while gripping the magazine. As for the fire selector you can manipulate it with your trigger finger with a bit of effort, may feel weird, but you get used to it. The bolt release can be reached with your trigger finger unless you have short fingers. You can use the charging handle by using two fingers on opposite sides of the charging handle and pull, I wish I could show you pics of what I'm talking about.

I also understand your want for an AK because I use a WE AK74UN and it actually feels less awkward with your left hand. So overall it depends on your playing style, personally I can use either or, but I'm more familiar with an AR so I lean towards it.
Yeah, I have operated an M4 as you describe before. I don't mind the fire selector, or the bolt release as I just use my finger to hit it as I did with my SCAR system. I just find that using my thumb to hit the mag release is awkward. Going to hold out for the AK
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion