Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Tokyo Model Company Reputable?

:

General

Old August 1st, 2008, 00:49   #1
Nick_273

Send a message via MSN to Nick_273
Tokyo Model Company Reputable?

I was wondering if anybody has had experience with the TokyoModel Company. I want to purchase some replacement parts and a metal slide/barrel, but haven't heard of this company so im a little wary of purchasing from them. Originally i wanted to order from RedWolf but they are currently out of stock on the items i was looking for.

Heres a link to their site: http://www.tokyo-model.com.hk/ecshop/index.php
Nick_273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 00:52   #2
The Saint

I think you're thinking of Tokyo HOBBY, McGuyver. Tokyo Model is legit for the most part.
Old August 1st, 2008, 00:52   #3
mcguyver

Yep. I R confuzd.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 03:13   #4
Nick_273

Check out the link. I'm pretty sure they are two different companies.
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:21   #5
Ace of Spades©

Tokyo Hobby = Japan
Tokyo Model = Hong Kong

Quote:
My gun is like a Land Rover, when it works, its great. Problem is, its a Land Rover, so it never works...
Ace of Spades© is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 13:03   #6
Nick_273

Ok, thanks. My question remains; Are these guys reputable?
Old August 2nd, 2008, 10:48   #7
ayze

hey there nick,

i'm in the same boat you are trying to find out how reputable they are. hope this helps...

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/revie...cat/all/page/1
Old August 2nd, 2008, 14:16   #8
Nick_273

Thanks man, i was looking around last night too and found that. Looks like they are just like any other major international retailer. What worries me is that i havent found anybody from Canada who has bought from them and don't know what they do to avoid import taxes/duties.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 16:45   #9
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

I've dealt with them in person in Hong Kong. Although the store front looks like it's being run by a bunch of really young guys, the web site and international distribution operation looks a bit more advanced than even some of the larger distributors in Hong Kong.

It's not what THEY do to avoid import taxes/duties - you as the importer hold the sole and legal responsibility for correct declaration of your shipment and your broker is the one who processes the shipment. If you do not have your own broker, one is automatically assigned to you by your carrier.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 23:59   #10
Nick_273

Ok, that makes sense to me. I've heard that retailers such as Redwolf declare some shipments as "toys" which will help prevent taxation at the boarder (so i assume).
Old August 4th, 2008, 03:11   #11
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_273 View Post
Ok, that makes sense to me. I've heard that retailers such as Redwolf declare some shipments as "toys" which will help prevent taxation at the boarder (so i assume).
Don't kid yourself, that doesn't do squat. They can declare them as "pineapples" or "spare tires", but customs REALLY isn't that stupid. They know who most retailers are, especially if they deal in items that are prohibited and get seized on a regular basis.
I can assure you that Redwolf Airsoft is on their list. On that matter, ANY company with "toy", "model" and "airsoft" in the name is on put under scrutiny, especially once they take a look at what's on the packing list.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what's generally inside a package. Every single one of my transactions has been declared as "Toys" over the past 6 years using tariff classification number 9503.90.00.89, toys/nes / Jouets - NDA and 30% has gone through a customs inspection and the shipment has been re-classified as "Sporting Goods" or "Firearms Accessories", which are subject to an additional 3.5% duty.

Last edited by ILLusion; August 4th, 2008 at 03:17..
Old August 4th, 2008, 08:25   #12
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
Don't kid yourself, that doesn't do squat. They can declare them as "pineapples" or "spare tires", but customs REALLY isn't that stupid. They know who most retailers are, especially if they deal in items that are prohibited and get seized on a regular basis.
I can assure you that Redwolf Airsoft is on their list. On that matter, ANY company with "toy", "model" and "airsoft" in the name is on put under scrutiny, especially once they take a look at what's on the packing list.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what's generally inside a package. Every single one of my transactions has been declared as "Toys" over the past 6 years using tariff classification number 9503.90.00.89, toys/nes / Jouets - NDA and 30% has gone through a customs inspection and the shipment has been re-classified as "Sporting Goods" or "Firearms Accessories", which are subject to an additional 3.5% duty.
Hmm... wonder what would happen if you declared something as "dog shit"...

Probably get siezed for trying to import biological matter.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 13:03   #13
Nick_273

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post

So what sort of taxation am i looking at when i order parts/accessories around $200 USD shipped with EMS?

I know its getting a little off topic but i bet theres alot of people who want to know about the risks involved when shipping from abroad.
Old August 4th, 2008, 13:10   #14
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_273 View Post
So what sort of taxation am i looking at when i order parts/accessories around $200 USD shipped with EMS?

I know its getting a little off topic but i bet theres alot of people who want to know about the risks involved when shipping from abroad.
$10 for 5% GST + $8 brokerage fee = $18 total
Old August 4th, 2008, 13:16   #15
Nick_273

Ok, that seems manageable Ill get my order in as soon as possible then. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, ILLusion.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General