Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Exporting replica firearms / Carrier for "prohibited goods"

:

Newbie Tank

Old December 27th, 2012, 15:26   #1
FirestormX

Exporting replica firearms / Carrier for "prohibited goods"

So a friend of mine (totally not me, of course) ordered a KWA pistol off an individual in the US via ebay, and obviously it got seized. So now his plan is to return it to the seller. He was told that he will need to make arrangements with a Canada Customs Bonded Carrier to export the prohibited goods, if he plans to do this.

I've found very little information about this on the boards (aside from this: www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=65228), so I thought I'd make a thread to ask for some courier recommendations. Between the damn filter bubble on google pointing me to Canadian import information, and my proxy here at work blocking me from visiting sites about weapons, I'm having a hard time finding out what needs to be done for exporting this gun back to the US.

* So the first thing, of course, is finding a courier that will meet the criteria. I've done a little research into UPS and FedEx, and from what I understand (UPS wasn't too clear though), they will not accept this sort of thing. My knowledge of couriers in Canada that will ship to the US is quite limited.
* What extra documentation is required for exporting? The information I found on this is not very clear on replica firearms. This is the closest information I was able to find on it: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/im-ex-eng.htm#f2 . According to this, a firearm being exported to the United States only requires an export permit if the firearm is prohibited. I remember from reading something in the past, that the ATF required documentation for replica firearms, but I can't recall where I read that, so I don't know how credible that is.

So in summary, I need some information on how to export a replica firearm that has been seized by the CBSA.
FirestormX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 15:50   #2
FirestormX

Bumping to see if anyone has any information to contribute.
After doing further research, I'm still fuzzy on this, as is my friend.
Old January 4th, 2013, 16:20   #3
Anthology

If the pistol was seized, isn't it in the possession of Customs and thus he does not have any say in what to do with it?

My friend had a cheap springer pistol seized in the mail and he had no authority over it.
I mean there is the option of having it chronographed (which is pointless as I'm guessing it shoots under 366 fps) but aside from that I'm not sure what else you can do.

Taylor
Anthology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 16:23   #4
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Cost to export.. is likely to exceed the value of the item.. probably easier to abandon the item and pay the wisdom tax
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 17:24   #5
FirestormX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthology View Post
If the pistol was seized, isn't it in the possession of Customs and thus he does not have any say in what to do with it?
He received a letter that gave him a few options, one of which was to export it. It still in their possession, so the courier would need to do the "pickup" from the customs office though.

Quote:
Cost to export.. is likely to exceed the value of the item.. probably easier to abandon the item and pay the wisdom tax
Do you know a ballpark number on what the cost might be to export it from the border (I assume the Buffalo border) to somewhere in the southern states (not sure exactly which state he bought it from)? Like "over $80", or "$200-$300".
Old January 4th, 2013, 18:23   #6
Danke

Probably about 1K if he can find a carrier. It's a massive pain in the ass so anything about it being small or light is irrelevant.

He's going to have to create the export documents and dig up tariff codes. Or pay the carrier to do that too.
Old January 4th, 2013, 19:17   #7
L473ncy

You need to find a bonded courier who can do prohib items. Then look up the tariff schedule and related codes found here;

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-com...-t2013-eng.pdf

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-com...3-2013-eng.pdf

Probably easier and cheaper to abandon the item for destruction TBH. Otherwise it's the cost of the courier plus likely a 15% restocking fee for the seller. Maybe look into TNT post or SwissPost?
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank