Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

G&G MP5 (HK markings, EBB version)

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old January 30th, 2017, 06:37   #1
FUBAR_444

G&G MP5 (HK markings, EBB version)

Hi guys,

Im thinking about getting this gun and am planning its upgrade path and just want to know something:

- Can I use an 11.1v lipo with it? (The gun details says 8.4 and 9.6 nimh)
- Would it be a bad idea to upgrade the spring? I want to get it on 400fps, 11.1fps if possible)
- Will upgrading the spring mess with the EBB response?

If you have any advice/feedback it would be really appreciated, I haven't bought this gun yet but will very soon.

Thanks
FUBAR_444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 08:54   #2
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

the upgrade path on all guns is pretty similar, the guts can be swapped out, but the gearbox shell is junk. all g&g shells will crack even with a sorbo pad installed. It's just a matter of when.

the ebb gearbox shell is a pain in the ass to work on PLUS the system saps fps from the spring so you need a stronger spring to get the same fps as a basic v2 gun without the system. 400 is a limit, not a goal. the 11 fps doesn't magically get you 500ft or something magical. You won't even notice the velocity difference or the range difference. The shell is also not replaceable with a standard v2 gearbox without losing parts of the gun, the shell is proprietary to g&g and must be sourced once it breaks. A few vendors have it or you can get it direct from g&g but it costs as much as a nicer standard v2 gearbox and has no benefit aside from having gimmicky blowback that's just a piece of metal that flaps around.

A stronger spring is harder to pull so the load on the motor will be that much more, more strain on the battery, an 11.1 lipo will give you higher rate of fire, stronger arc at the trigger contacts that causes damage without a mosfet. The ebb is usually the cause of all piston failures on g&g,s, since it it can mess with the piston on the stroke. If it jams, the piston can slow down and get stripped in addition to the standard issue of a bb compression jamming that causes piston failure.
Old January 30th, 2017, 09:24   #3
FUBAR_444

Thank you, that was good advice

Seems EBB in general is a bad idea? Even other vendors/models? I have quite a few guns and was looking for something different this time around.
Old January 30th, 2017, 09:31   #4
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

If that's what you want, it can be worked around, but ebb is pretty gimmicky. They're all metal plates or weights that get moved around, it's actually not recoil of any kind. Even the KWA erg is not really a blowback, it shakes when you shoot it.

If you want a gun that's easy to repair when it breaks, simple is better. The closer it is to true v2 or v3, the easier it will be to source parts for. Also for availability of upgrades, there are more parts available to you, but g&g's system is pretty self contained. Everything except the cylinder and gearbox shell is regular v2.

If you want the gimmicks, and there's nothing wrong with that either, just realize it will have it's own share of issues in addition to the other issues basic guns have.

I charge more to work on oddball guns in terms of hours because it takes that much more time to take it apart and put it back together, and in the process of fixing and diagnosing sometimes it has to come apart several times to test things.

My perspective is that of a high end performance gun tuner. You can get high end performance out of it, but it's just more trouble than say a cyma mp5 or ics mx mp5 or CA or src. But each one has it's issues to work around.
Old January 30th, 2017, 13:55   #5
JohnnyBoy

I have this gun currently. Worked great until the GB cracked....twice. First time, had it replaced no problem, second time, just swapped it with a standard V2, disabled the blowback.

I'd stay away unless you're prepared to do some major techwork.
JohnnyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 23:38   #6
dpvu

Send a message via MSN to dpvu
If you want blowback and you want an MP5 go the gas route. EBB is pretty gimmicky and the "recoil" isn't substantial enough to increase the "fun factor" enough to justify the extra hassles.

I haven't run V2s in a long time but as others have pointed out be prepared for a lot of maintenance at around 400+ FPS. I think I cracked 4 or 5 shells in a span of 2-3 years. I admit I'm hard on my stuff and some of those were cheap JGs and other pot metal shells but some were quality manufacturers. It's just hard on them at 400 fps and Lipo batteries.
Old January 31st, 2017, 00:32   #7
devbro

is blowback option mandatory? if you like playing around with your internals, avoid it, they are nice but not worth the repair if they break.
VFC M4 MK18
CYMA AK47
TM MP5 First gen Rare find
TM MP5A5 with swordfish 2004
devbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 08:53   #8
FUBAR_444

Thanks, I have an MP7 GBB so I guess il get my kicks from that instead. Keep reading the EBB is more hassle than worth so have changed my mind

Much appreciated*
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications