Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Advice on Aquiring Inexpensive Airsoft Guns for Film

:

General

Old November 29th, 2005, 22:28   #31
Plant

Send a message via MSN to Plant
Actually I have used flash, and I don't claim to be an amazing animator. Just because one doesn't know how to create something doesn't mean they know its bad. I've watched movies that I know are bad, yet I"m sure there was millions put into production. I've played videogames that I think are bad, obviously I'd never make one.
Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 23:04   #32
farfromsubtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant
I just watched one of your animations, and I can honestly say I want those 3 minutes or so of my life back.
Sorry, those three minutes are non-refundable. Your $0 will remain mine forever.

By the way, The Little Buzzers were on CBC, and yes, I was paid for it.
farfromsubtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 06:46   #33
Greylocks

I know you are trying very hard to appear professional, but... correct grammar and spelling, even here, would help a lot.

In general, until you have a production permit, you are screwed. Getting guns will be expensive (retail prices as mentioned). And until you go through the age-verification process (information on that is listed in these forums) you wont be able to get anything.

This does not remove the problem that these types of guns, even used as props, fall under several stiff legal rules.

You're trying to make a movie. No matter where you do that it WILL attract attention. Now I dont know what part of the world you grew up in, but if ANYONE sees guys with machine guns in a field they WILL call the police. That's why you better have the permits. It will make a difference between a temporary annoyance, or jail, or the morgue.

These things look real even down to close visual inspection. Never underestimate the nervousness of the public specially in these times of terrorism. No, we're not joking with you. We're killing ourselves trying to get you to understand that this may mean getting shot for real, and we're telling you over and over how to avoid that.

How else can I put this... do you have the right to carry a real machine gun? If like most of us the answer is no, it's up to you to follow advice or risk the same legal consequences.

Ok? We're not trying to bust your ass, but man... please listen? The resources are here for you to read, just read them.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 10:51   #34
farfromsubtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylocks
I know you are trying very hard to appear professional, but... correct grammar and spelling, even here, would help a lot.

In general, until you have a production permit, you are screwed. Getting guns will be expensive (retail prices as mentioned). And until you go through the age-verification process (information on that is listed in these forums) you wont be able to get anything.

This does not remove the problem that these types of guns, even used as props, fall under several stiff legal rules.

You're trying to make a movie. No matter where you do that it WILL attract attention. Now I dont know what part of the world you grew up in, but if ANYONE sees guys with machine guns in a field they WILL call the police. That's why you better have the permits. It will make a difference between a temporary annoyance, or jail, or the morgue.

These things look real even down to close visual inspection. Never underestimate the nervousness of the public specially in these times of terrorism. No, we're not joking with you. We're killing ourselves trying to get you to understand that this may mean getting shot for real, and we're telling you over and over how to avoid that.

How else can I put this... do you have the right to carry a real machine gun? If like most of us the answer is no, it's up to you to follow advice or risk the same legal consequences.

Ok? We're not trying to bust your ass, but man... please listen? The resources are here for you to read, just read them.

Do me a favor, and read my posts. I'm being very receptive to advice on airsoft, though, as you may have noticed, not on your advice about filmmaking (thanks for the spelling nazi moment, by the way).

Thank you to everyone who PM'd me with some very helpful tips, from you, I have gotten the information I was looking for.
Old November 30th, 2005, 14:04   #35
SKI

Uh oh!
Old November 30th, 2005, 14:14   #36
DuffMan

Send a message via ICQ to DuffMan Send a message via MSN to DuffMan
Quote:
I just watched one of your animations, and I can honestly say I want those 3 minutes or so of my life back.
I was personally highly entertained.

Your response to other may have been, but your response to Greylocks was not overly receptive. Trust me, he was very polite and patient with you. I understand if you are feeling frustrated, but it would be in your best interest to be polite and patient with him as well. He did have a couple valid suggestions.

"He resisted. I asked him to comply."
"Telling him to 'eat it, bitch' is not really a request."
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 15:06   #37
farfromsubtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_Man_in_CADPATs
Quote:
I was personally highly entertained.

Your response to other may have been, but your response to Greylocks was not overly receptive. Trust me, he was very polite and patient with you. I understand if you are feeling frustrated, but it would be in your best interest to be polite and patient with him as well. He did have a couple valid suggestions.
I'll take this opportunity to appologize if my last post seemed a little aggressive. Chalk it up to a groggy, grump morning.

Once again, I have gotten a wealth of useful information from the folks here, I am very grateful. Based on this info, I can make a reasonably more educated decision on these purchases than I would have been able to make before.
Old November 30th, 2005, 17:15   #38
Greylocks

No offense taken, I'm trying to save you from a huge world of grief. The kind of grief that can include a criminal record.
In a very weird way, you'd have better chances using real guns with no bullets. That's the insane part.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 17:23   #39
DuffMan

Send a message via ICQ to DuffMan Send a message via MSN to DuffMan
I'm not sure about this, but if this movie is being filmed outside of city limits, what's to stop him from saying that he's just playing a game of airsoft and video taping it? Phone the cops to tell them that you're going to play a small game of airsoft and jsut start taping?

Don't do this until verified by by men better than myself.

"He resisted. I asked him to comply."
"Telling him to 'eat it, bitch' is not really a request."
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 18:14   #40
Moderate

I have no advice for the movie biz, but those flash animations were awesome
Especially the dancing to the electronica...very well done!
Moderate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 22:44   #41
desiredtoe

Here are some guns you could look at. About $150 each, without shipping and junk. I wouldnt recommend them for playing too much, but they might work for your purpose.

http://www.canadianairsoft.ca/ShowCategory.php?CategoryID=28
desiredtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 00:57   #42
farfromsubtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylocks
In a very weird way, you'd have better chances using real guns with no bullets. That's the insane part.
I'm started to come to that conclusion. 8-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_Man_in_CADPATs
Phone the cops to tell them that you're going to play a small game of airsoft and jsut start taping?
Hmmm, is this to avoid the filming permit? Because, since I am outside Toronto limits, and Alliston doesn't have an organized film industry, I don't think any of that will be neccessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moderatesniper
I have no advice for the movie biz, but those flash animations were awesome
Especially the dancing to the electronica...very well done!
Thanks. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiredtoe
Here are some guns you could look at. About $150 each, without shipping and junk. I wouldnt recommend them for playing too much, but they might work for your purpose.

http://www.canadianairsoft.ca/ShowCategory.php?CategoryID=28
Thanks for the link.
Old December 1st, 2005, 07:04   #43
LucidFox

Send a message via AIM to LucidFox Send a message via MSN to LucidFox
Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromsubtle
"I wont even be purchasing ammunition, let alone loading it into the guns."
Try getting Spring stuff.The Spring Rifle and or Pistols on Canadian Airsoft go to about $100 and down.Cocking after each shot shouldn't be a problem if your not shooting anything.
LucidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 08:28   #44
yanhchan

Send a message via AIM to yanhchan Send a message via MSN to yanhchan
Just phone the cops to let them know that you will be filming using airsoft. So if someone calls the cops they will know that you are using airsoft. If you are too lazy to do that and would rather save a few mins and put your actors and yourself at risk then thats your problem

Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country ~John F. Kennedy
yanhchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 10:46   #45
GiordanoWC

Send a message via MSN to GiordanoWC
Farfromsubtle...

I'm a student filmmaker at Seneca college. Last year, i shot a short entitled "Pawns" wherein i used one pistol replica in a private residence in and around the wilson road and the 400. I called the local police detachment and let them know who i was and what i was doing and with what items, due to the fact that i'm a student, i'm permitted to use replicas in any capacity and don't require a peace officer with me, so long as the action stays on private property.

I sent a fax of my crew list, my props list, and my approximate time-ins and time-outs... never even had an officer drop by to see how it was going.

As for a small to medium budget film, if you need guns and need a field to use 'em in, go FAR up north and find a patch of land with no one in sight.

Left wing love for airsoft.

++A NOI!!!++
CAMPIONI DEL MONDO, 1934,1938,1982,2006

GiordanoWC is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General