Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Barrel Shroud question

:

Newbie Tank

Old October 23rd, 2012, 21:13   #1
Wolf427

Barrel Shroud question

Hey guys,
I was wondering how barrel shrouds mount on AEG's, is it universal on all guns of a specific model(i.e. M4's), or does it vary from brand to brand?
Thanks!

P.S. Sorry if "barrel shroud" is the incorrect name for what I am talking about.
Wolf427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 21:33   #2
redzaku

by shroud, you mean a can or aka a suppressor? most aeg can take them, i believe that the threads are 14mm standard, unless you get MK23 or B&T MP9, which you will need an adapter for it is bigger, well hopefully someone here is will give you better info, haven't research barrel shrouds on airsoft yet, just researching on how the make norc m4 to a honey badger .300
За Родину!
BRRRRRT!
redzaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 21:39   #3
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Suppressor, silencer, flash hider, grip, heat shield, rail system, etc. then yes they are all gun or thread specific (i.e. 14mm CW/CCW). Although most M4 airsoft guns are the same or to spec, some are not. Find something you like, or are looking for and we can put you in the right direction.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 22:17   #4
Wolf427

I think its also called an RIS, or handguard.
Basically I am looking at a Dboys M4 RAS II, and the RIS/barrelshroud has a riser built into it, which I dont mind, but plan on changing in the future. So I was wondering how they were mounted, and if I would have to buy a specific type to replace it.
Here's a pic:

So do they all work like that^, or is that manufacture specific.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 22:41   #5
-=ArchAngel=-

To avoid confusion, when you're on a paintball forum, its okay to call it a shroud. On an airsoft forum, call it a handguard.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 23:31   #6
Wolf427

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=ArchAngel=- View Post
To avoid confusion, when you're on a paintball forum, its okay to call it a shroud. On an airsoft forum, call it a handguard.
Ahha!
Handguard it is!
Old October 25th, 2012, 17:47   #7
Wolf427

Okay guys, so what do you think? Would I be able to find a replacement for the stock handguard on the Dboys M4 RAS II?
Old October 25th, 2012, 19:33   #8
HackD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf427 View Post
Okay guys, so what do you think? Would I be able to find a replacement for the stock handguard on the Dboys M4 RAS II?
Yes, in all likelyhood it's replaceable/removeable/changeable. The doohicky on top that extends rear-ward is to keep the RIS reinforced and aligned with the receiver. It does copy some real-world setups.
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 19:43   #9
Maethori

Send a message via Skype™ to Maethori
FYI the term "barrel shroud" is a firearm term and not just a paintball term. Also, it includes more than just rail systems or handguards.

Anyways...there are different brands and styles that connect in different ways. Many connect with the delta ring (the ribbed ring at the base of the RIS in the 1st pic) while others connect with their own barrel nut that replaces the delta ring.
M4s can take almost any brand of rail system or handguard...as long as it doesn't have a barrel nut with opposite threading as the upper receiver...

Last edited by Maethori; October 25th, 2012 at 19:46..
Maethori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 20:38   #10
Wolf427

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackD View Post
Yes, in all likelyhood it's replaceable/removeable/changeable. The doohicky on top that extends rear-ward is to keep the RIS reinforced and aligned with the receiver. It does copy some real-world setups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maethori View Post
FYI the term "barrel shroud" is a firearm term and not just a paintball term. Also, it includes more than just rail systems or handguards.

Anyways...there are different brands and styles that connect in different ways. Many connect with the delta ring (the ribbed ring at the base of the RIS in the 1st pic) while others connect with their own barrel nut that replaces the delta ring.
M4s can take almost any brand of rail system or handguard...as long as it doesn't have a barrel nut with opposite threading as the upper receiver...
Alright, thank you very much.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank