Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Long game Question

:

General

Old February 23rd, 2009, 18:31   #31
Conker

"-Hey CO, do you know where our boots are?
-In the ennemy base.
-WTF?
-Guards were sleeping.
-OMFGIBTHOOT*"
*OMFGIBTHOOT = Oh My Fu*** God I'll Beat The Heck Out Of Them

Lol^^

One thing I'd add is strict camo rules. As not green vs desert, but something along the lines of ACU & MARPAT vs Russian Flora vs solid colors (PMC)...

Last edited by Conker; February 23rd, 2009 at 19:06..
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 18:56   #32
Darklen
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklen View Post
It was over 150 to start. I think most were still there at the end. I think I have some group pictures still somewhere.
The final group shot from Wescan 2004

Old February 23rd, 2009, 19:04   #33
Turnbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
"-Hey CO, do you know where our boots are?
-In the ennemy base.
-WTF?
-Guards were sleeping.
-OMFGIBTHOOT"
Oh my god. Thats so epic
Old February 23rd, 2009, 19:18   #34
Sha Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnbull View Post
Oh my god. Thats so epic
Dude....you have no idea!! Not to jack the thread, but the best was when Wildcard started cooking breakfast for the American forces. Poncho and Morb hopped on the radio, calling for an unscheduled 1 hour cease fire... so they can they can eat undisturbed.
We were like, WTF do you mean, cease fire!!.....as five of use crawl out from our hiding spots in side of the American base.
Oh mann...the looks. priceless...
The real annoying thing is that Wildcard was cooking them eggs and serloin for breakfast.....

SHA DO
Sha Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 20:50   #35
Krusty

In my experience most players don't last 8 hours let alone 24 hours without a break. At BWIII this year we go 8 hours non-stop and break for 3 hours to let it get dark for the night scenario which is another 3 to 4 hours. Shut down the op over night and start up the next day.

Last year at BWII I watched the players coming and going from the UN Safe Zone and after 4 hours people were dropping like flies on a flat wooded area like Harms Way. Imagine running up and down stairs for 8 hours at the Hospital in Picton carrying all your gear.

Now for those guys in the reserves and in good shape they can handle 24 to 36 hour of non-stop pounding but for the average airsofter a 24 hour non-stop game equals injuries especially knee and back.

Anyways just my two cents.

Last edited by Krusty; February 23rd, 2009 at 20:55..
Krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 21:07   #36
Turnbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha Do View Post
Dude....you have no idea!! Not to jack the thread, but the best was when Wildcard started cooking breakfast for the American forces. Poncho and Morb hopped on the radio, calling for an unscheduled 1 hour cease fire... so they can they can eat undisturbed.
We were like, WTF do you mean, cease fire!!.....as five of use crawl out from our hiding spots in side of the American base.
Oh mann...the looks. priceless...
The real annoying thing is that Wildcard was cooking them eggs and serloin for breakfast.....

SHA DO
Thats awesome man. I can just see it in my head haha. I'm hoping something like this will go down. As for me, I need to get in a few games, to get the feel for it all before I hop on the bandwagon. Come to think of it, I need to buy some new Camo haha.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 21:40   #37
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha Do View Post
As you already have contact with LT.Poncho, ask him about the OP:CT evets he ran back in the days. 26 hour events with organized on and off field sleeping areas. Each teams base was set up with people bringing their our tents etc, with a strick googles on at all times rule. The only time that your goggles could come off is while you were in your tent with the "door" zipped secure. Tents were not to be intentionally targeted by enemy fire, so goggles had to be worn while you were cooking, etc.

There was also the off field safe zone, which held the usual safe area rules such as barrel plugs on, mags out, etc... This allowed players a safe haven to relax and replenish their supplies that they did not want to drag out onto the field (spare rifles, parts, tech tools, coolers, spare clothes). Each "off field" safe zone was at oppisite ends of the field, which help keep intel on how many enemy forces (for example) were on or off the field off the record. During the second OP:CT, each base was set up with only one safe zone....the on field safe zone. This was a strick no fire zone, no shots in, no shots out. It worked, but with the large amount of new players getting into the sport, I'd advise avoiding this type of set up. The other problem with this set up was that we had to walk the entire length of the game field and right past the American base camp to get to our cars.

As for the potential night operations during these two events.....oh mann, just as RUGGER and Stuart about the incident with the night shift security detail guys whom Stu had provided NVGs to...what a laugh. Then there are the raids on the bases followed by morning radio calls from game command asking if we had "acquired and American equipment" through out the night. Boots, AEGs, and almost teh American flag were borrowed from right out of the American base. And then there were the Recce guys who took turns sleeping on overwatch of the enemy bases, the snipers such as Raven (team Bad Karma) who kept tabs on the comings and goings out of our base all night, reporting everything back to the American CO.

There is a lot of potential in a multipul day event, but you'd need to hold it on a very large field in order to keep it from turning into just a really long scrim.

SHA DO
I was not at this game, but I saw all the pictures and eard about it. I was sad to miss it at the time, and I still remember it.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 21:47   #38
Sha Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
In my experience most players don't last 8 hours let alone 24 hours without a break. At BWIII this year we go 8 hours non-stop and break for 3 hours to let it get dark for the night scenario which is another 3 to 4 hours. Shut down the op over night and start up the next day.

Last year at BWII I watched the players coming and going from the UN Safe Zone and after 4 hours people were dropping like flies on a flat wooded area like Harms Way. Imagine running up and down stairs for 8 hours at the Hospital in Picton carrying all your gear.

Now for those guys in the reserves and in good shape they can handle 24 to 36 hour of non-stop pounding but for the average airsofter a 24 hour non-stop game equals injuries especially knee and back.

Anyways just my two cents.
Agreed. LT.Poncho ran the senarios for OP:CT one and two, like a flow chart (whom ever won the last objective would set up the next objective down their side of the flow chart). He controlled the tempo of the game so there were several hours of enguagements on a couple of fronts which led to one big objective, then would give the team that one the objective a chance to rest up by defending the objective. Then the next mission would allow the other team to defend and rest up.
Lots of things going on during day light hours, and then slower, "optional", objective missions through out the evening. After dark was left to recce patrols and rogue units scrimming it out for control of strategic parts of the field, but no point based missions. This gave the rookies and noobs a chance to rest and recover for the following mornings' missions. Team sign up was set up so that there were set roles (garrison, recon, assault) and each of these units were also cycled so they could have a chance to rest if they wanted.

One of the keys to a longer event like two / three days would be to stagger missions/objectives and allow for optional "bonus point" missions through out the slow periods (time where the majority of the forces would be sleeping or eating), this way the vets or die hards could get in the extra field time that they are accustomed to (or to challenge themselves) with out running everyone ragged to the point of exhaustion (which a Krusty pointed out, leds to injury), and yet allow those noobs (or out of shape fellows like myself) to contribute to the point missions and potentially make a difference, but still enjoy the experience of the event.

The other big factor is for all the players to be prepared for something like this (the proper gear and kit), and don't push themselves beyond their limits.

SHA DO
Sha Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 22:07   #39
Turnbull

That sounds really awesome! I like the idea of having different fronts and staging smaller battles in the down time, it would be interesting to see how long you could go for. I'm really interested in the night ops, to be honest, I think it would be alot of fun.
Old February 24th, 2009, 00:21   #40
The Lettonian
a.k.a. FNG_13

Send a message via Skype™ to The Lettonian
I'd be 100% down for something like this barring work schedule conflicts. I'm no vet on the field, it's true, but I think I should be able to manage. Went through all of Humanity's Hammer and BWII and was left wanting more at the end of the day. So you got at least one in for cadpat if you run with this
|: Nos habebit humus! :|
Raug, draugi, kā šī kanna mirdz, kā puto alutiņš? Dievs zin, cik ilgi līksmo sirds, lai baudām drīz!
The Lettonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 01:36   #41
PaganThunder

I personally think that one/two/three day events would be a blast. Perhaps have a series of smaller events stretched over the weeks/months leading up to the "big game". Sort of an ongoing game, I think if people knew that they were part of an ongoing "conflict" and that they could get in on the final big "end game" and the smaller games could even be used to slowly work up to a multi day event, start with a couple 8 hour games, then a 12 hour game, then build to the 24 or 48 hour games.

Now don't get me wrong I can see that this would be a planning nightmare. But a series of games would give groups time to learn to work together, squads and teams would grow out of the continued series of play. That and someone that might not be able to attend the "big day" could still participate by playing in some of the lead up days. If a running total of points were kept it may encourage people to come out to make sure there "team" stayed in the lead or to help bring them from behind.

I know this is a bit of a ramble, but its late and my body wont sleep (my brain seems to be napping, but the body is awake).

Hope that this made some sort of sense.
PaganThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 03:57   #42
AS92-RD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaganThunder View Post
I personally think that one/two/three day events would be a blast. Perhaps have a series of smaller events stretched over the weeks/months leading up to the "big game". Sort of an ongoing game, I think if people knew that they were part of an ongoing "conflict" and that they could get in on the final big "end game" and the smaller games could even be used to slowly work up to a multi day event, start with a couple 8 hour games, then a 12 hour game, then build to the 24 or 48 hour games.

Now don't get me wrong I can see that this would be a planning nightmare. But a series of games would give groups time to learn to work together, squads and teams would grow out of the continued series of play. That and someone that might not be able to attend the "big day" could still participate by playing in some of the lead up days. If a running total of points were kept it may encourage people to come out to make sure there "team" stayed in the lead or to help bring them from behind.

I know this is a bit of a ramble, but its late and my body wont sleep (my brain seems to be napping, but the body is awake).

Most sense I've heard all day.
AS92-RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:12   #43
15thKnight

Send a message via MSN to 15thKnight
I agree with bryan on the whole if you hold the front you have a safe zone.

but i like the idea of this. screw this everyone sleeps time i want to take a team of the best sneakers and rush em while they sleep. (put post it notes saying your dead for when they wake up)

im in if it happens lmao
Gas Revolver.
15thKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:01   #44
Conker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaganThunder View Post

This makes a lot of sense, but I see one problem: while people from outside the area can work to travel to the field, they can't do this that for three, four, etc linked events.
Or, those "preparative" events could be some kind of "simultaneous" battles organised let's say at Rawdon, for eastern players, and another at *place a western field name* for western players.

Now again it's a nightmare for organisation, but a cooperation beteen two teams could make it quite feasible. But still hard.
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:10   #45
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

From a Command standpoint

Managing resources over a long game would be a challenge

Pulling units out to force rest .. making sure everyone is fed and watered..

This coupled with the fact that commanding airsofters is like herding cats...

logistical.. battle managment worst case scenario

When do we go?
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General