Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Private Parts G36 Magwell Conversion

:

Reviews

Old January 16th, 2007, 23:29   #1
Darklen
Administrator

Private Parts G36 Magwell Conversion

The Private Parts G36 Magwell conversion allows TM/CA/STAR G36 users to convert their AEG's to a more commonly available, cheaper (and usually more compatable with your teammates) Armalite M4/M16 magazines. I ordered the part from Redwolf, $36 USD, about $50 CDN shipped, I got a bunch of other items so that's a roundabout figure.

Installation is a snap. Remove the one pin that holds the original magwell, press in the mag release, swing the magwell forward and off. Reverse to install the new part. The original mag release stays put, but no longer functions as such. The color blends in fine on my TM.

In testing I used a TM low and hi cap, a MAG 100rnd midcap, an AE hicap, and an ICS low and hicap. While there was a fair bit of wobble with all the mags (about 1/8" side to side, 1/4" front to back) none of the mags came out of the magwell, even with a fair bit of force. I've read the newer versions will deal with the wobble issue. All mags fed flawlessly, except for the AE hicap, it misfed quite a bit. All mags inserted and released fine. The P.P. magwell has the release on the left side only, so your mag changes are still two handed. I can't see an easy way to convert it to right hand or ambi. There may be some concern with the mags releasing if the gun hits your gear, but I didn't have a problem on gameday.

In actual use, I only used the MAG mags. I played in -17°C for several hours. I had zero problems, loading, unloading or feeding other than I'm used to the flap mag release and forgot to bring a dump pouch.

It definately changes the look of the G36 though. But like it or not, it provides another option for those who don't want an armalite, but are stuck with armalite based gear.

Pros
- Ease of installation
- Allows use of easier to obtain and cheaper mags
- Allows for more gear choices for mag storage
- Allows for more mags to be carried

Cons
- Left hand release only
- mag wobble (possibly only the original version)

Last edited by Darklen; January 17th, 2007 at 19:00..
Darklen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 10:10   #2
Amazing KG3

Send a message via MSN to Amazing KG3
Ill take the pretty G36 mags anyday, but this is a nice alternative. good review by the way.
Amazing KG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 18:14   #3
Mud Gunner

Send a message via MSN to Mud Gunner Send a message via Yahoo to Mud Gunner
I think it will attract a lot more users to the G36 because of the resolved mag issue. if i still had my G36, this would be a must have part!

Nice review Darklen!
Old January 17th, 2007, 18:18   #4
thephenom

I like it especially since I have tons of M4 mags, this would lower my overall cost of getting a G36.
thephenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 15:29   #5
Hortons Heros

using G&P mags they will not feed sometimes if the mag is pulled back, pushed forward they feed fine. It is a little tricky and sticky getting the mags in as they must go straight up into the magwell or they will not seat properly will fall out. I am impressed overall with the adaptor and was glad to ditch my G36 mags.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 23:15   #6
Amazing KG3

Send a message via MSN to Amazing KG3
i want this for a masada conversion.
Amazing KG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 14:48   #7
LUTNIT

Old thread but I wanted to add these comments but figured it wasn't worth starting a whole new thread.

Just got mine from Jugglez, no idea if its a new model or not but with STAR realcaps there is absolutely no wobble and with a CA hicap and STAR hicap there is very little. Unlike some earlier reviews I've read all my mags drop out when the mag release button is hit, no need to have to pull the mags out, again I don't know if its a newer version or not.

One downside is that previously my hopup would eat 4 BB's that would drop out with the mag and not fire (CA36) but now it eats 6. So a STAR realcap loaded with 30 rounds will only fire 24 rounds unless flipped upside down (I'm currently leaving my mags loaded to work them in so I can fit 32-34 rounds instead of 30.) Another minor problem is the front edges are very sharp. When I brought my hand back to remove the mag I cut myself on the nylon it is so sharp, cut the skin and almost drew blood. A little sand paper fixes this problem though.

Overall I'm very happy that I can use armalite mags instead of big bulky G36 mags. Personally I don't think it effects the aesthetic appearance of the gun either way, I liked it before and I still do but thats all opinion.
LUTNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 15:38   #8
happytit

Send a message via MSN to happytit
i would like to get something like this ... now that i already boght 7 TM g36lowcaps at 45 - 55 $ a pop.

it would deff make your life a whole lot more simple if you can use M4/M16 mags. plus i would be able to carry more mags in my vest.. may think about this mod for the summer ... thanks for posting it..

[MTX]HappyTiT Recon rifleman
Primary Weapons // G36c, HK416
Secondary Weapons // Glock 18C
happytit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 18:04   #9
tomsoderman

any pics with a vietnam mag?
tomsoderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 18:08   #10
LUTNIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytit View Post
i would like to get something like this ... now that i already boght 7 TM g36lowcaps at 45 - 55 $ a pop.

it would deff make your life a whole lot more simple if you can use M4/M16 mags. plus i would be able to carry more mags in my vest.. may think about this mod for the summer ... thanks for posting it..
Yeah, when there is a long period between games and I forget how big G36 mags are I laugh when I see someone with some at a game. I can't believe I used to use something so big, bulky, awkward, and expensive that has its tabs get caught on everything. I had second thoughts about the switch at first but theres no way I'm going back now, its just way too easy now (mag pouches, mag changes, maneuverability to some degree, etc. etc.)

I don't have any VN mags kicking around to take a pic with, sorry. But wouldn't it be possible to photoshop (or mspaint) the pics above to simulate a VN mag?
LUTNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 20:01   #11
dontask

Send a message via MSN to dontask
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsoderman View Post
any pics with a vietnam mag?
+1
I would like to see one too
dontask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:03   #12
Itsahak

Send a message via AIM to Itsahak
I have these on both of my G36's. It allows me to be compatible with the rest of my team (using M4 variants). Another team mate also has this and his VN mag won't feed through it. Not sure why, but it does look good!
Old April 1st, 2007, 17:58   #13
Daes

(not mine, image has been circulating)

I have tried with both mid and VN G&P, no problems to report.

-Daes

Daes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 18:54   #14
tomsoderman

not bad
tomsoderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 17:41   #15
kalnaren

eek... I can't think of anyreason I would convert a G36 away from the standard G36 mags. Of course, I can't think of any reason I would own and armallite either

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews