Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Potential damage from airsoft.

:

General

Old October 19th, 2014, 19:10   #1
siggypoo

Potential damage from airsoft.

This is a really difficult question to ask, but my niece brought it to mind after I called her for advice this evening.
You see, Katie and I often foster rescue dogs, and twice now a foster has mauled a random animal in our back yard.
The first time was with one foster and a squirrel. When I found the squirrel it was still alive, but eventually died on its own while I was trying to get Animal Services to come get it.
I had a Dan Wesson CO2 airsoft revolver, and remember wondering if it would suffice to end the squirrel's suffering. I didn't try it in case all it did was cause more pain.
And just now another foster ravaged a bunny who is still very much alive, but badly mangled. Again, Animal Services is apparently on their way to take it from me.
But this poor thing is in a world of pain!
While talking with Shayla, my vet tech niece, she asked if any of my airsoft guns would end the bunny's pain. I replied that I'm sure it wouldn't, as these guns are designed to be safe to use, and not cause injury.
But now I'm wondering, might it work?
All my ammo is .20, and the guns have never been chronod.
Any advice?
And please hold back the insults and flaming. That this is happening has me close to tears. If Animal Services doesn't come soon, I dunno.
With the squirrel, they never did actually come.

Last edited by siggypoo; October 19th, 2014 at 19:12..
siggypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 19:23   #2
-Shade

I'm sorry about your situation. My cat can be an asshole and has mauled and left plenty birds barely alive to die. As hard as it was for me, I've put them out of their misery with a shovel. Probably one of the hardest things I've had to do in the past.

I doubt that an airsoft gun, even a CO2 revolver would have enough power to kill something that big - even at point blank. If I were in your position I would probably use a shovel again. Whatever you use, just be sure that it could kill it and not make it suffer more.

Last edited by -Shade; October 19th, 2014 at 19:25..
-Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 19:28   #3
HackD

If you are sure it is mortally wounded or animal services is questionable in actually getting the animal, I would suggest not to experiment with airsoft .. i doubt that it would be immediately lethal, and would likely not cause the animals demise - it could even extend the animals suffering. Breaking the animals neck, would be the more effective, immediate, humane solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2O4iiPNeu8
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 19:28   #4
jordan7831
will always be Mike Litoris in our hearts

You could just buy a pellet gun with the correct pointed varment rounds to put the animal out of its misery. I doubt our airsoft guns, even highly upgraded ones would do anything but cause more pain for the animal.
jordan7831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 19:35   #5
Derpystronk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackD View Post
The amount of people in the comments section saying "Can you do it again but with a living rabbit" is really making me WTF
Derpystronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 19:38   #6
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

I would also vote for a pellet rifle with proper ammo, they work, you know they work, not expensive, quiet, and then you have another plinking toy!

Another option would be real guns, 22 shorts with a long barrel are pretty damn quiet, providing you don't live in the suburbs...
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 19:40   #7
Jo_Canadian

I don't think even the steel .88g bb's I've seen around would have the impact required.

One swift stroke with a shovel is much more humane, but wait and see if animal control shows up first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
RULES

Give your friend the benefit of the doubt and SHOOT HIM AGAIN.
Jo_Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 19:44   #8
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Hunting (Varmint) ammo works, it's in the name...
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 19:52   #9
Mirodasc

Send a message via MSN to Mirodasc
I don't think it's a good idea.
I have a mouse problem in my apartment, and I decided to take matters into my airsofty hands after the traps weren't catching them.
Nailed the sucker 3-4 times, but it just skidded along the floor while running.
Mirodasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 19:54   #10
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Do not use an airsoft gun. I've been in similar situations, and the best thing, if you have to kill it, is to do it as quickly as possible. It's never nice, but if you cannot reasonably save it, and if you have the stomach for it, a quick stomp will do the trick. When I was younger I tried killing a rat we had caught with a pellet gun, it didn't turn out well. The bugger was resilient, and took nine rounds, it was messy. Anyways, it seems cruel, but you'll feel better ending it quickly. Don't do it in front of the kids obviously.
Old October 19th, 2014, 19:58   #11
L473ncy

It kind of is in their nature to maul random animals, working dogs are what they do they do a job like chasing and killing rabbits, chasing out ducks, or herding animals or whatever. My ex's cat would bring back "presents" or "offerings" for her all the time (all dead thankfully).

A 495 FPS air rifle with Varmint ammo point blank should do the trick. Or of course a shovel if you can stomach it.
Old October 19th, 2014, 20:06   #12
Aper
E-30

I got shot several times at point blank in airsoft and managed to survive, I you see what I mean

West Coast EOD Supporter. // Bang One, Bang Em All ! // In war, it's not who's right, but who's left.
Aper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 20:15   #13
SuperHog

495fps pellet gun with .22 will kill at point blank, .177 would may not and cause more inhumane pain.

Rodent kills are normally done with 1000+fps pellet guns.
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 20:29   #14
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

You're more likely to just injure it even more. Be a man, break it's neck.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 20:57   #15
Sequential

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHog View Post
495fps pellet gun with .22 will kill at point blank, .177 would may not and cause more inhumane pain.

Rodent kills are normally done with 1000+fps pellet guns.
Not too sure if a 495 FPS gun with a .22 at point blank will kill it... And will probably put the animal through much more pain. To end a living beings life, a real firearm would be needed. I doubt the BB will even go half way through the animal at point blank. Sorry using an airsoft gun to end an animals suffering sounds just plain stupid.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General