Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

someone wanna explain?

:

General

Old July 30th, 2007, 22:29   #1
KylerSCXR7

someone wanna explain?

I've been reading on this board and can't find anything. Some of my friends and I have been into airsoft for awhile now, were not too heavy into but we each own a GBB and scrimage on private property and in winnipeg at XT from time to time. Is it true we have to join an assosication to buy guns and there's only 2 certifiend dealers in Canada? Luckly I'm only 45 mins from A&A. I've heard that there some bogus requirements to join this assosiation, things that us "once in a blue moon airsofters" cannot do, like participate in games regularely. Airsoft is not a cheap sport by any means, we don't have full fatigues and equipment let alone full sized AEG's and the whole 9 yards. I don't know anyone in the Brandon area that is into it anyways. I'm just asking all of this because I would like to purchase another GBB, and one in the states at that which I'm reading is more and more impossible to do. I'd just like to clearify all of this so I can proceed with buying some stuff.

Thank you, Kyler.
KylerSCXR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 22:31   #2
Ronan
Official Crybaby Chairsofter

You need to be 18 to buy and play airsoft in Canada.
Buying a gun in the states or anywhere OUTSIDE Canada will be seized and destroyed at customs.
Airsoft is an expensive sport/hobby to start.
Ronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 22:58   #3
Nik12

Send a message via MSN to Nik12
Really, if you arent going to go the whole nine yards, play only with GBBs and play only on occasion why not go to paintball?

Out of Sport. Have Fun!
Nik12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 23:08   #4
Skladfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik12 View Post
Really, if you arent going to go the whole nine yards, play only with GBBs and play only on occasion why not go to paintball?
cuz those stupid field refs charge you f*cking $10 for every 100 bullets?

its ridiculous, they wont even let us use our own bullets because they thin we put shit in it.

and they charge you twice of what the bullets cost in store to make extra $$ off of you.

fuckers.
Skladfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 23:12   #5
Nik12

Send a message via MSN to Nik12
yeah, but to go buysome crappy marker from CT (instead of another GBB) and then get paintballs during the every so often they play, it's not exactly ridiculously expensive. they can even use their own since they play on private property.

Out of Sport. Have Fun!
Nik12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 23:19   #6
surebet
Vicious MSPaint Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylerSCXR7 View Post
I've been reading on this board and can't find anything. Some of my friends and I have been into airsoft for awhile now, were not too heavy into but we each own a GBB and scrimage on private property and in winnipeg at XT from time to time.
Just a quick note on games on personnal land; not the nest idea. Ultimatly, you'll do what you want, but be aware of the risks and responsibilities of running games on your land.

If by private property you mean the backyard of your suburban home, be aware that you are inviting massive liability issues into your life, along with a criminal record and bad press for the rest of us.

However, if by private property you mean forested land somewhere in the middle of the woods, you should still research things like insurance and access control. Even if you play with friends, if someone gets hurt and claims something on their personnal insurance, you are liable to get sued.

Better to play at organised fields that know exactly what they are doing.

Quote:
Is it true we have to join an assosication to buy guns and there's only 2 certifiend dealers in Canada? Luckly I'm only 45 mins from A&A. I've heard that there some bogus requirements to join this assosiation, things that us "once in a blue moon airsofters" cannot do, like participate in games regularely.
You're confusing the club thing with a restricted PAL clause. You don't have to be a member of a "club" per se, although it doesn't hurt.

There are in fact only two regular importers at the moment, though there is also the classifieds. More on this later.

As for walking in on games, public games are exactly that, public. There are a lot of private events running at any point in time, but you only need to start networking with people to see these opportunities open to you.

Quote:
Airsoft is not a cheap sport by any means, we don't have full fatigues and equipment let alone full sized AEG's and the whole 9 yards.
Usually the requirements are not that high. Say green versus tan, you must at least be able to produce a decent set of BDUs that match the event. It kinda breaks the fantasy if there are a bunch of guys that pop up in blue jeans and sneakers.

You can muster a decent kit for only a couple of hundred buck. You don't need Gucci gear, though it's nice to have.

AEGs are a must though, at least from a personnal point of view. You will be seriously outgunned if you only have a pistol.

Quote:
I don't know anyone in the Brandon area that is into it anyways. I'm just asking all of this because I would like to purchase another GBB, and one in the states at that which I'm reading is more and more impossible to do. I'd just like to clearify all of this so I can proceed with buying some stuff.

Thank you, Kyler.
Your best bet right now would be to get age verified by a rep of the site. Check out the age verification forum for your local reps (it's in a stickied post, at the top of the screen). Instead of getting another GBB, you should look into getting an AEG, either a used one or a Tokyo Marui clone (JG and the likes) that can go for anywhere between 250$ to 450$.

The bare minimum investement needed to properly play airsoft is 400$-800$ depending on the deals you can find, anything less and you won't be on the same page as other players.

Hope this answers more questions than it raises...!

Stop American Censorship
surebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 01:20   #7
Towlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
You need to be 18 to buy and play airsoft in Canada.
Buying a gun in the states or anywhere OUTSIDE Canada will be seized and destroyed at customs.
Airsoft is an expensive sport/hobby to start.
coincidentally, I got an airsoft past customs by usps. Bought it at a novelty shop in south dakota, recieved it a month later in SK
Towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 01:32   #8
Cushak

Send a message via MSN to Cushak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towlie View Post
coincidentally, I got an airsoft past customs by usps. Bought it at a novelty shop in south dakota, recieved it a month later in SK
Coincidentally, I'm pretty sure that's smuggling, and still illegal. :P

What kind of gun did you get in?
Cushak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 01:45   #9
surebet
Vicious MSPaint Wizard

Quote:
Disregarding the fact that importing airsoft guns is illegal, if caught you will be added to a watch list in the CBSA database.

Consider this; if you import stuff even semi-frequently, instead of having say a 25% search and levy rate, you will now be promoted to a 100% search and levy rate.

That means that whatever you will import will be taxed to the full extent of the law, which hurts like hell.

Stop American Censorship
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:03   #10
Towlie

I had no idea of the laws then. The man in the shop said he would mail it to my Canadian address, and had been doing so for many Canadian customers for a while. It was a gas powered no name beretta, with orange tip.
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:05   #11
surebet
Vicious MSPaint Wizard

Just be glad that you beat the odds. Just like with any lottery, quit while you're ahead...

Stop American Censorship
Old July 31st, 2007, 09:20   #12
Cushak

Send a message via MSN to Cushak
Quote:
I had no idea of the laws then. The man in the shop said he would mail it to my Canadian address, and had been doing so for many Canadian customers for a while. It was a gas powered no name beretta, with orange tip.
I've found shops in the states will tell you anything to get you to buy. I was checkin out guns when I was in South Dakota, and they were tellin me "Oh yeah, we ship to Canada all the time. You just can't carry it across the border yourselves, mailing is fine."
Cushak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 09:32   #13
LyquidFyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cushak View Post
I've found shops in the states will tell you anything to get you to buy. I was checkin out guns when I was in South Dakota, and they were tellin me "Oh yeah, we ship to Canada all the time. You just can't carry it across the border yourselves, mailing is fine."

Buahahahah! LOL Wow, "carry it across the border yourselves" Oh and remember, don't declare it either or they might take it from you God I love retailers who see $$$ and nothing else.
LyquidFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 16:38   #14
Towlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cushak View Post
yeah thats the sad truth when it comes to merchandise
Old August 1st, 2007, 17:15   #15
sniperbay

Send a message via MSN to sniperbay
you dont even need a couple hundred to get decent stuff... I played for a whole year with just a GBB and did just fine... also, you can get old CF issued crap at a surplus store.. probably get the shirt and pants for $40 .. some goggles and maybe a mag/utility pouch for your belt.. and you are in business.. ghetto airsoft style.. I did that for my first 2 years.. it works just fine...
All religions (Christianity included) have been victim to corruption and greed and war. But the key is to acknowledge that the crimes and attrocities that some do in the name of religion are not the views of the religion itself, but the individuals.
sniperbay is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General