Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Game scenario with quadcopter

:

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old January 12th, 2015, 20:50   #1
Ustasca

Game scenario with quadcopter

Hi, does anybody has any scenario using multi-rotor or Airdrone slutions in place?
Old January 12th, 2015, 21:51   #2
SuperHog

As long as you have a player that owns and flys a quad, you can get great coverage of that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQVCakie1_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lgOjLiv1Ts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKsjLBLrna8

Last edited by SuperHog; January 12th, 2015 at 21:55..
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 22:12   #3
Ustasca

Thank you for movies. This is just amateurs videos of the game. But what about the real scenario - to use flying machine as real tool during the game? Any experience?
Old January 12th, 2015, 22:20   #4
naminator

I see one major problem with this. Either you have a quad copter thats too high to provide a tactical advantage (most games are in forested areas) or the thing is too low and players will want to shoot he drone. Then your 1500$ drone is trashed.
Were you maybe expecting 1+1 = donut?
naminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 22:25   #5
Danke

The whole drone thing opens an entire can of worms.

Let's start with this one. Can the other side shoot at the drone?

You can say no; it's too expensive and you don't want it wrecked. Does that mean if I show up at a game with an expensive optic or NVG can I also get a mulligan for not getting shot at because my stuff is expensive?

Do I get to gain an advantage without any risk?

Or you can say no: it's too dangerous if it gets shot it can crash and hit a player. So then it's like pyro. Fun for the guy throwing flashbangs but not so much for the guy who looses body parts.

I'm sure that given the way drones are exploding they will turn up at games but if you want to be the guy with one make sure your playbook is balanced so you don't look like a sore winner.

For me; I"m going to wait till they get more popular. Then I'll just start hacking them mid flight.
Old January 12th, 2015, 22:30   #6
Ustasca

My proposition is to think about the scenario(s) with several drones in use with specific rules about this devices. And specific tasks for this drones, not just make a video of the game, but to use this devices in a game as a Tool.
Old January 12th, 2015, 23:08   #7
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustasca View Post
My proposition is to think about the scenario(s) with several drones in use with specific rules about this devices. And specific tasks for this drones, not just make a video of the game, but to use this devices in a game as a Tool.
If you can find 7 people willing to put their 1500$+ pieces of equipment in harms way.
its not just players purposely shooting them, its accidental.
Most people who run NVGS have ways to protect them in field.

There is no way to protect a quadcopter aside from a rule.

I just dont see them being viable in combat.

and what specific tasks and scenarios? what can they be used for other then video? unless they're huge its not like they can support a lot of weight.
also the player controlling them wont be really playing either, it takes a fair bit of concentration and skill to fly these things. especially in a combat situation.
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 23:59   #8
Ustasca

Different quadcopters can do a lot of things, like in real battle: from communication to observation, find the way, delivery some messages or ammunition, for example. What you think about "a lot of weight"? I know different models what can fly with 1 or 10 kg during 30 min. of flying time. And come back to the price - it's not ness. to buy this quad - you can rent it or lease with acceptable payment per month.
Old January 13th, 2015, 01:28   #9
Danke

Can we shoot it down?
Old January 13th, 2015, 10:12   #10
Ustasca

With specific protection and qualified pilot - it will be very hard task. Do you want to try?
Old January 13th, 2015, 10:27   #11
naminator

Long Answer:

Until someone loads up a saw and unleashes a hose of .28s at it. All it takes is a 1 round to take down the copter if it hits the right spot. Then that 1500$ quad copter smack the ground.

Who the hell would rent these? I work in equipment leasing. 1500-2000$ multiplied by lets say 6. That's $9000 on the low end. At 4.9% APR, FMV buyout (which would be about 900$) on a 60 month lease you will be paying $170 a month. Now that doesn't sound like much for a field owner to purchase.

HOWEVER.

You need pilots. You need maintenance performed on these units. You will need replacement batteries because nobody has made a reliable Nitro quad yet. Most fields that would have use for quad copters are larger outdoor fields that service both airsoft players and paintballers. Would you want your 1500$ drone covered in Rainbow Splooge?

So that leaves you with lets say on the high side 8 games a month that can utilize quad copters. Most fields aren't massive cash cows, but 20$ a game isn't horrible but that's just to break even on the lease. One of the copters goes down and suddenly you have the time and frustration of fixing it.

Short Answer:

Yes it is possible to arrange something with quad copters. Yes you could potentially have them do more than video tape a battle. But it is like fucking a brick. You might find a hole if you try hard enough but the pain and frustration will not be worth it in the end.

You can try to shoehorn this idea into the community all you want. But until quad copters are cheaper, easier to use and more powerful you won't be calling in a quad copter ammo drop any time soon.
Were you maybe expecting 1+1 = donut?
naminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 10:29   #12
Danke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustasca View Post
With specific protection and qualified pilot - it will be very hard task. Do you want to try?
Everyone wants to try.
Old January 13th, 2015, 11:46   #13
waylander

I've done RC for 10 years including some quads and there are a ton of them out there. Every thing from a small micro that is basically for fun right up to real drones used by the military controlled by satellite.

The only real tactical use we could find in airsoft is the same as cops use it for... find the enemy. Then the person running the quad has to lug equipment around or sit at base. Sure it would help but I certainly wouldn't do it. Maybe a team could chip in for one.
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 16:35   #14
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
Can we shoot it down?
You can try to shoot my DJI F550 multirotor or Trex 700 heli down. Doubt you can do it.

You are talking about a pocket sized or those made of foam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHFSiEvUwek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuT0UMSTXQQ

Last edited by SuperHog; January 13th, 2015 at 16:46..
Old January 13th, 2015, 17:01   #15
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by naminator View Post

You need pilots. You need maintenance performed on these units. You will need replacement batteries because nobody has made a reliable Nitro quad yet. Most fields that would have use for quad copters are larger outdoor fields that service both airsoft players and paintballers. Would you want your 1500$ drone covered in Rainbow Splooge?

Old days they used nitro helis. Today, its all electric multirotors.

You can not rent a mulitrotor. They are all custom built and owned personally or by companies that used them commercially for business (they have staff that can fly them).

Mine is full PFV and I do not loan it out. Unless I know that person can actually fly it.

Last edited by SuperHog; January 13th, 2015 at 17:06..
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures