Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Discovering Airsoft - A Noob Story

:

General

Old July 24th, 2006, 00:20   #16
Pip

Send a message via MSN to Pip
Well in my opinion i got my webbing from a surplus store in DT montreal, and it's great, prolly replica, and it's old but in good nick....like i said it's good for me, but to each his own, get what suits you best, try things out, who know what you might end up with. Personally i'm not bothered if it's the latest swish fancy crap that costs half a grand, if it does the job, and stays together then it's all good.

I don't remember how i came across airsoft, i think i was on utube or something like that and there was a vid of some guys in portugal or spain playing. I was instantly interested, so google was my next stop, and then asc was right there...spent a good year and a bit just reading before i got out to a game, man that was back in the days of the Rigaud field just outside of mtl...good few games up there.

Anywhoo just my 2c
Smelly troll is smelly.
Pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 00:45   #17
Red_Star

Send a message via MSN to Red_Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by thephenom
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedeSChink
Hey, i live in the GTA and have a couple of friends that live around aurora. I notice that there are a lot of forests in peoples backyards. For example, my friend pretty much has a forest in his back yard, perhaps you can just rent out some guys backyard or something and play there. Not sure if its the bet idea, but before i got into actual airsofting, thats pretty much all i did to prepare myself with some other friends. Anyways, I've been told its a stupid ideo, but i think why not use a perfect piece of land if theres no one around. This is IMO.
It is a stupid idea, you'll keep getting told about it, so STOP suggesting it.

Airsoft is a sport to be played in a controlled environment AWAY from public's view. Unless he lives in the middle of nowhere and have 0% chance of anyone seeing them, then you can play given you have notify and authorized by the right authorities that you are playing with airsoft (guns that looks REAL).
I can picture the SWAT team and the RCMP comming already hehe
Red_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 00:59   #18
quick90

Send a message via MSN to quick90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamWolfpack
Stay away from Tiger Tactical

What is a matter with Tiger Tactical? I find their gear to be good quality...
quick90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 06:39   #19
z0ng

I've got two people right now I'm waiting for a response from RE field use. I basically gave them both the info about airsoft and then directed them to some websites, did a brief rundown of the safety issues and the 18+ age restriction rules. Just waiting to see what they have to say about it at this point.

I've also been checking out information about insurance for a field. Lawfully is this required even if you are just running a private operation? The few people I know locally who would be attending with me are all trustworthy friends so we've got no fears of sueing each other or anything like that. As a LAN event organizer I've looked at event insurance before, but I have a feeling that's going to be rather different compared to an insurance policy for an airsoft field.

Bottom line, I've got two potential locations I'm working on right now. If the owner(s) are ok with their use I want to make sure that I'm also taking care of any legal requirements while it's a private field. One day in the future provided the field owner is OK with it and that the cost of insurance isn't astronomical I'd definately be interested in openning up something for local use by people from the ASC community too (got a lot to learn before that's going to be possible though).

For now though it looks like I've got to "bite the steering wheel" so to speak and make a 2 hour drive to the closest nearby fields if I want to do anything seriously. Hopefully I'll be able to get my feet wet this coming weekend at TTAC3, then I was thinking about checking out the games at FR on the August 5th/6th weekend.
z0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:05   #20
MadMorbius
Quote:
Originally Posted by quick90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamWolfpack
Stay away from Tiger Tactical

What is a matter with Tiger Tactical? I find their gear to be good quality...
*Some* of their gear is good quality. *Some* of it falls apart. It's a question of quality control, it seems. I believe the original comment is based on pesonal experience, a modular assault vest that basicaly self-destructed after using with combat loads. Considering it's supposed to be built for real-world operations, it just didn't cut it.
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:06   #21
MadMorbius
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0ng
I've got two people right now I'm waiting for a response from RE field use. I basically gave them both the info about airsoft and then directed them to some websites, did a brief rundown of the safety issues and the 18+ age restriction rules. Just waiting to see what they have to say about it at this point.

I've also been checking out information about insurance for a field. Lawfully is this required even if you are just running a private operation? The few people I know locally who would be attending with me are all trustworthy friends so we've got no fears of sueing each other or anything like that. As a LAN event organizer I've looked at event insurance before, but I have a feeling that's going to be rather different compared to an insurance policy for an airsoft field.

Bottom line, I've got two potential locations I'm working on right now. If the owner(s) are ok with their use I want to make sure that I'm also taking care of any legal requirements while it's a private field. One day in the future provided the field owner is OK with it and that the cost of insurance isn't astronomical I'd definately be interested in openning up something for local use by people from the ASC community too (got a lot to learn before that's going to be possible though).

For now though it looks like I've got to "bite the steering wheel" so to speak and make a 2 hour drive to the closest nearby fields if I want to do anything seriously. Hopefully I'll be able to get my feet wet this coming weekend at TTAC3, then I was thinking about checking out the games at FR on the August 5th/6th weekend.
We've got places to play out your way.
Old July 24th, 2006, 12:32   #22
MercedeSChink

Just to clear things up, he owns the forest, and there is 0% that the public can see becuase its 10 acres+ of forest that he owns. Sorry for posting this, if there was any misunderstanding. Don't try this, its stupid. :salute:
MercedeSChink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 16:46   #23
Greylocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedeSChink
Just to clear things up, he owns the forest, and there is 0% that the public can see becuase its 10 acres+ of forest that he owns. Sorry for posting this, if there was any misunderstanding. Don't try this, its stupid. :salute:
That, legally, does not matter at all. Unless you get all the right permits, insurance, etc.
Insurance is the killer.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 17:37   #24
z0ng

Woo, looks like if all goes well I'll be at FR August 6th, possibly 5th too (not sure if my noob ass is ready for a night op as my first real game :P).

As for field stuff, from what I gather whether it's a public or private field you pretty much need insurance to play there legally. Is there anything else (you mentioned permits Greylocks) that one requires? I'm just looking to get an idea of what it costs to have your own place to play, whenever you like with no costs attached and without the risk of horrible legal issues. As far as I can understand here I basically have to go to an insured field to even fire an airsoft gun outside.
Old July 24th, 2006, 17:52   #25
BloodSport
Traveling Man

well the local field way out here in boondock land gets charged about $15/day/person from his insurance company, and thats before he has to fiqure out employee costs, taxes, improvements and the all important profit. And one little incident and that all can go bye bye, so hence the reason some fields are super strict about what you can or can not do.

I'd imaging costs would be higher out in Ontario.

So unless you have a couple hundred acres of land that you already own and are looking to do something other then raising piglets and cows with the odd chicken or two running around. It's best to just go to established fields.
Old July 24th, 2006, 18:10   #26
Greylocks

The last time I was told of insurance costs by a field owner, they were around $600 per month.
You may face municipal bylaws too, and those bite.
Old July 24th, 2006, 18:18   #27
z0ng

Yeah right now I don't own any kind of land myself, however one of my friends has a relative who's willing to allow us to use their land to play on. Large forrested area and and also some open field.

We're not looking to set up a pay-for-use field, but just more something for some local friends to go do target shooting and practice. As mentioned the land owner is willing to let us use the field at no cost as long as it doesn't cause him any grief.

Would a private field like this still require insurance or any other kind of official permit? I'm wondering more if it's required to have it if in case someone trespasses and gets shot accidently for example.

As compared to LAN events, when I host an event at my house I don't need any insurance, permits or anything (then again this is a LAN tournament and not some guys firing off airsoft guns), however when running the larger public events insurance is pretty much mandatory, otherwise if some kid sustained an injury from just tripping over a step or falling off his chair we could be sued.
Old July 24th, 2006, 18:21   #28
z0ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylocks
The last time I was told of insurance costs by a field owner, they were around $600 per month.
You may face municipal bylaws too, and those bite.
Although $600 a month is a lot it's not too unreasonable if you divide it up between 5 `or 6 people (about $30 or $25 a week to have somewhere within a 15 minute drive to game whenever you like).

Ah bylaws The research continues...
Old July 24th, 2006, 18:30   #29
Greylocks

In a nutshell, a good example is what it takes to have a real gun range on your land. It's pretty much as complicated.

Remember that Joe Public only sees terrorists with machine guns, and that the laws and permits required have to cover that eventuality.

If you cant shoot machine guns, or even normal real guns, on your land, then you most likely cant shoot airsoft either.

I know, it's an extreme example, but it's pretty much true and the consequences you face are about the same.

The BEST thing you can do is to go play at local fields (or as local as possible) for a good year. Then you'll probably know what it takes and if it's worth it.
Old July 24th, 2006, 18:40   #30
z0ng

Well, the land isn't going anywhere anytime soon so no rush. That and I think it's going to be a lot more entertaining anyways to go to a larger field with props and lots of other people as compared to some empty field/forrest with 5 other friends. Too bad I didn't live in Cambridge or something, least the drive wouldn't be so annoying then.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General