Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

fps help

:

Doctor's Corner

Old May 4th, 2012, 22:45   #1
rcd67

fps help

I have an echo l mtc that i put an m120 spring In and was shooting 400 fps average now it's shooting 360 . Don't under stand what happened any suggestions greatly appreciated. Shooting with .20 bbs)
rcd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:48   #2
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Nothing wrong with 360fps, it's actually the ideal velocity to shoot at. Be more concerned if it continues to drop.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:19   #3
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

If your gun is stored with the spring compressed it can weaken the spring. Always shoot your gun on semi before storing it. This will assure the best chance of the spring being fully "relaxed" while it sits between games.

Check your compression. My Echo1 had brutal compression, a few parts fixed her up right nice. There are countless benefits to having good compression.
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:55   #4
rcd67

thanks guys for the replys, havent been storing it without shooting it in semi to relax the spring, learned that from the first spring i ruined, trial an error i guess. i thought maybe it had something to do with compression, was wondering if the o ring on the piston head wasnt expanding enough on the piston head and maybe affecting my fps. saw that on a couple of reviews on the airsoft sites people changing them out for a #14 o-ring, any truth to that? want to upgrade to a m130 spring would like to shoot 400fps with a .25 going to upgrade motor and piston head, any other suggestions would be great. thanks for the help so far.
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:04   #5
slink182

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcd67 View Post
thanks guys for the replys, havent been storing it without shooting it in semi to relax the spring, learned that from the first spring i ruined, trial an error i guess. i thought maybe it had something to do with compression, was wondering if the o ring on the piston head wasnt expanding enough on the piston head and maybe affecting my fps. saw that on a couple of reviews on the airsoft sites people changing them out for a #14 o-ring, any truth to that? want to upgrade to a m130 spring would like to shoot 400fps with a .25 going to upgrade motor and piston head, any other suggestions would be great. thanks for the help so far.
That fps and weight combo will disallow the gun from most games that chrony. Chronying is usually based on a max of 400 fps with 0.20g BBs. Sniper rifles are the exception.

If you were previously referring to 360 fps with 0.25, then you should just leave it alone.
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
Stalker stays where he is.
His BB's fly across the country to hit their target.
slink182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:34   #6
rcd67

at our field 400fps is the limit doesnt matter what wieght, yes snipers are diff, trying to figure out why i lost an average 40fps from 400 to 360fps average on a .20 want to upgrade to a m130 to shoot .25s at around 400fps looking for advice on what else i should upgrade so i dont have any problems ie. {motor, piston, ect} i guess rules are different between canada and usa... thanks
Old May 5th, 2012, 16:09   #7
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

400fps on .25's is NOT at all the same thing as 400fps on .2's. A heavier bb carry's more energy (joules) than a lighter bb travelling at the same speed. So although they may reach the target at the same time, the heavier bb will hit "harder" with more stored energy causing more damage. It's the whole reason for setting a speed to cronny to. There's no point having a limit if it doesn't matter what bb weight you're cronnying with? All proper fields will have a set fps limit with a specific bb weight that you must not exceed, it doesn't matter what country you're in as the laws of physics are a constant all over the planet.

The extra fps you're trying to achieve won't give you any real benefit on the field, you may achieve a bit of extra range but you will pay with your accuracy. It's not worth the extra stress on your mechbox shortened battery life etc for no real benefit. If you're looking for better range and accuracy you're far better off upgrading you compression (from piston head all the way to hop rubber) and getting a good TBB. 380ish fps on .2's is what you want to be shooting.

Last edited by Kozzie; May 5th, 2012 at 16:13..
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 20:02   #8
rcd67

ok my original ? was how come i lost so much fps? what i can do to correct it there has got to be a reason, i have been in this sport for a little less than a year so i obviously have a lot to learn, gun sat all winter without use took it out last week and cronod it and was shooting 390-400fps on .20, then the next day it was very inconsistant, averaging around 360fps sometimes will drop to 320fps thats a big difference from 390-400fps so there is a problem, my fault for getting off topic with the spring upgrade getting ahead of myself...thanks
Old May 5th, 2012, 21:01   #9
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Compression issue, it's because you bought an echo1
You'll need to regrease everything with proper grease to ensure you're actually getting a proper seal from your piston.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner