Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

How to be Prepared for a Milsim?

:

Newbie Tank

Old January 19th, 2012, 10:32   #46
tygr701
"Back to you, Bob!"

Send a message via MSN to tygr701
Cs the zombie game runs before Rhino and it runs for 12 hours instead of 24 at the Picton complex if you try that one out. It's not a 100% milsim like Rhino is but it should give you a good idea where your at.

TEAM MSF CHANNELS:
YouTube - Facebook - ASC - Instagram

Si vis pacem, para bellum
tygr701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 11:12   #47
B@K3R

Now everyone is basicly talking about moordernday gear...what about someone like myself that is gearded towards the WW2 aspect but would like to take part in say Rhino?

Beside getting a radio everything else would work out?

How many people use MREs, and do alot of people take in the Chef?

Cable Splicers Have Bigger Conductors
B@K3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 11:46   #48
m102404
Tys

Quote:
Originally Posted by B@K3R View Post
Now everyone is basicly talking about moordernday gear...what about someone like myself that is gearded towards the WW2 aspect but would like to take part in say Rhino?

Milsims...are simulations. As such, you have an obligation to play the part that you've signed up for.

If you're a partisan...you should not be kitted out as an SS commando
If you're a modern day infantry grunt...then kitting out as a civilian contractor is probably not helping (although there may be a contractor component...see command and team structures)
If you're a WW2 Airborne...kitting out as a COD/MW3 future fighter is not cool

If you can't kit out for the role...then either sort yourself out...or find an role where you can fit in.

It's not really about the game/OP accomodating the needs/particulars of any one person...the baseline expectation is that each person is fitting themselves into their role/task/etc... of the OP.

There is typically a partisan/civilian/insurgent component to many games...gear/kit requirements may be specific, but generally low cost/fuss and easily accessible.

Rhino is/was a milsim set in current times.

There are specific WW2 milsims.

Injecting one into another is a spoiler and not generally appreciated by anyone.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:00   #49
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cs View Post
I have to say that all of this is very stellar advice. I never gave much thought to how the game will continue on even if its raining or windy and cold and how it would really effect me. I have to remember that these games go whether its rain or shine.
The game goes on.. the question is .. do you?

Committed milsim players are all weather fighters.. kitted and ready and capable to do it.

many players are what I call "fair weather fighters"

these players .. wont play.. or quit early if.. it's too cold, it's too hot, it's raining, It's windy, there are bugs, they get muddy, the hills are too steep, it's too long a walk to the spawn point, there are ammo limits, it's dark, people are playing with night vision equipment and they don't have it, Or any other reason that gets them out of the field and back behind their computer where they are comfortable.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:04   #50
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by B@K3R View Post

WWII is a tiny subset of Airsoft in this community.

if you are going to play in the wider community, you need to kit up to do it.

it's not hard.. pick up a modern belt rig.. and you will stay in familiar territory to your historical rig.

OPERATION WOODSMAN

Old January 19th, 2012, 12:11   #51
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

Olive Drab (OD) is probably your best bet for multi-timeline BDU. It was used in WW2, Nam, and is still in use (its much rarer and not generally an issued BDU) today.
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 13:13   #52
Cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
many players are what I call "fair weather fighters" .
How do players make the transition from "Fair Weather" to " Seasoned"?

Is it just commitment coupled with decent gear or is it all mental?
Cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 13:15   #53
ShelledPants

Quote:

he means that they don't play when it rains, or windy, or hot or anything other than a mild day with a light breeze and a beer in the cooler.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 13:59   #54
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:

Lots of "seasoned" long time players are still fair weather fighters.

The difference is ... when the temperature drops 10 degrees, and it starts raining.. Some players will head for their car.. While others will put up a tarp and keep digging while their buddy mans the gun.

The difference between those two people is Mindset.

it's 100% fine to be a fair weather fighter.. for some people cold wet and hungry is not what they call fun.

the problem comes in where people represent themselves as one thing but end up being another.

OPERATION WOODSMAN

Last edited by Brian McIlmoyle; January 19th, 2012 at 14:01..
Old January 19th, 2012, 16:55   #55
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

Quote:

With reference to Shelled and Brian, if you show interest in the muddy stuff a good group will jump on the opportunity to encourage that interest.
Get in contact with some guys who do the 'all weather' milsim thing and see if you can tag along at a mixed interest-level event (like a big game) and see if you can keep up. They won't expect you to be %110 super awesome, but they'll be looking to see if you have any guts, and if your personality clicks.
A good attitude to have is one that is humble, but confident.

If you have those two down, they will likely be interested in hanging onto you, as long as you show an interest in listening, observing, and improving.
#1 way to show that you're committed is by improving your fitness level on your own time.

That's my top priority right now, because I definitely know what kind of game I like the most.
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 17:17   #56
McKee
Merica'

Send a message via MSN to McKee
Quote:

There is no correlation between gear and hardness. If anything, it's a negative correlation. Charlies idea of good R&R is cold rice and a little rat meat.

Commanding in Airsoft
McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 21:03   #57
Kimbo
formerly pivot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
the problem comes in where people represent themselves as one thing but end up being another.
This is constantly the problem with Milsim. Some players will say that they are good to go regardless of what happens, but bail at the slightest inconvenience. It makes it very hard for organizers to keep the game going and balanced when half of the other team basically stops playing.

Honestly it's really not hard to play for 24hours. Lots of people who finish their first one say that they thought it was going to be alot harder. Just come out with a good attitude, prepare as best you can, and try to be an asset to your team as best as you can.
Kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 21:23   #58
Cortex
Has a life outside Airsoft

I like to place myself into a situation where it's actually more convenient to stay in the field. As in, take everything you need with you. That way it's either stay out there or make the (likely) long trip home.

That's a good way to get into the correct mindset as well. Take wimping out away from your available options. Or take enough shit so that wimping out in the field is bearable.
Old January 19th, 2012, 21:46   #59
Trev140_0

I find this discussion of all weather fascinating. I am putting on games but have a clause in there "depending on weather". Only for the winter.

It appears there are some here who claim they will play in ANY weather and the game will be going on regardless.

I wonder how this is possible if the game happens to fall on a day of -23 and a 40km wind which brings on a wind chill of -34, but apparantly in "true" milsim games this is irrelavant and when you sign up you are in.

I tend to look at the winter games differently as, well, if you are not prepared for the elements you could get severe frost bite, be on the hook for someone becoming exposed to the elements etc. Heck, in the one game we are putting on we had to walk a running river that goes in all winter and figure out the points where people cannot aproach. Obviously milsim, and the real deal would be "go ahead-fall in", hope you have dry clothes.

I agree with the spring summer and fall games, but winter? I guess there are some who are more hard core than others and I suppose power to them.

I just think when it comes to a place that has certain levels to the insurance of implied common sense, the waiver needs to be pretty robust to insure you are not promoting an potentially hazzaradous situation.

Last edited by Trev140_0; January 19th, 2012 at 22:40..
Trev140_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 22:08   #60
Kimbo
formerly pivot

You could run a winter 24 hour milsim and it'd probably be fun for the 4 guys that turn out.

As a game organizer, you always have to keep safety in mind. During the summer months its more difficult for people to get hypothermic, unless they are completely unprepared.
Kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank