Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

[Noob] my first AEG, WE M4 CQBR.

:

Newbie Tank

Old June 16th, 2015, 21:26   #1
Vladou

[Noob] my first AEG, WE M4 CQBR.

Hi,

New to the forums, and to the sport. I'm from Montreal, Qc. Looking to buy my first AEG went to one of the local airsoft shop. What they suggested me for my first gun was a WE M4, either stock or build a gun from scratch starting with the body of a WE M4 adding whatever parts i'd like.

I've done most of my research now and need last bits of informations or opinions from more experienced players. Do i need to upgrade internals right from the start or is the stock gun already good as is. I was maybe planning to upgrade the hop up, plastic to metal, and was wondering if i need to upgrade most of the piston parts aswell.

Since i'm taking a M4 CQB one of the salesman told me they'd change the original brass barrel (6.05mm, if i'm not mistaken) to a shorter stainless one (6.03mm).

They suggested that i take nunchuks battery (Lipo 7.4v 1100mah), but from what i've read on the forums most players go straight for 11.1v Lipo batteries. They also told me that doing so might damage the stock internals (gears) and that, since i'm just starting, 7.4v lipo batteries would be fine. Now i haven't read the post on batteries yet, and they showed me what a 11.1v lipo did vs a 7.4v one. Question here is, should i go for a battery in the mid range like a 9.4~.6v. I'm looking for the best response time that i can get on the trigger, for a starting player. I know the 11.1v would be the best, but in auto it might damage my gearbox, and i don't think i need to upgrade them now.

From what i can remember, they're mostly carrying WE tech for their quality/price range, they've got some Cyma AKs aswell, but i'm not looking for AKs, they told me most players in Montreal had M4s and going for that type of gun could help me in games for various reasons. I like the M4 anyways for my starting AEG.

The gun would cost me around 500$ without touching the internals and just customizing the exteriors and adding an Aimpoint M2 or ACO sight.

Thank you for taking the time, pardon my mistakes and looking forward for your expertise.

-Vladou
Vladou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 21:59   #2
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
For $500 for a WE AEG M4? LOL.

You are getting ripped off, the gun retails for $200 USD from asia, cheaper prolly else where.

For $500 go straight for VFC and G&P. Google retailers in Canada, you'll find a bunch of prices you can compare with.

I'd stay away from WE AEG'S, their only decent lines are their GBB's.

Edit:

If you can get AV'ED you can probably pick up something on the classifieds here with your price bracket, a lot of nice guns come out of QC players.

Last edited by BioRage; June 16th, 2015 at 22:01..
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 22:29   #3
ccyg8774

Starting from a M4 is a good idea. The price they offered is not so good. WE is not really know for being good, more for being cheap instead.

Don't change the hop-up chamber unless you have to. Metal does not always mean better. If your aftermarket parts have difference dimension/tolerance issue, that will be a pain in the ass. Change the hop-up rubber if you feel the need.

Most people just start on a stock gun and replace parts as they broken. Sometimes you need to replace the spring (if the local field need a lower FPS), the hop-up rubber (if the stock one is low quality) first but that depends.

For your battery, make sure you distinguish the NiMH and LiPo. As LiPo have lower internal resistance, a 7.4V LiPo roughly have the performance of a 8.4V (or more?) NiMH. When it comes to 11.1V LiPo, yes, it will wear your trigger contacts faster, unless you install a MOSFET. But other than that, 11.1V don't cause any additional damage alone. 11.1V LiPo "damages" your gun because you shoots more with 11.1V.

11.1V is also not "better" than a 7.4V. 11.1V makes higher round per seconds and faster trigger response, if you are looking for those, then a 11.1V is better to you. But if you are fine with the performance of 7.4V, then 7.4V is fine for you. This is about having fun, not a match of upgrading your gun to the top on every aspects. I run 7.4V on my rifles while 11.1V on my LMG.

If you get LiPo, make sure you buy a balance charger, and if you can afford it, buy a computerized charger like the iMax B6. They are great and you will like it. Also don't buy LiPo and chargers from airsoft store, buy them from RC hobby store, offline (your local area) or online like Hobbyking.

Last edited by ccyg8774; June 16th, 2015 at 22:33..
ccyg8774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 18:07   #4
Slodin

$500 for a WE M4..wow..that overpricing is real...
with that money just get a VFC LOL...one of the top brand..
you should go online to check some prices before dealing with anyone

The thing is upgrading is not something to do right off the bat. Unless you have a shit ton of money or extra parts to spare then sure.

with 11.1 you need a mosfet, i run a 7.4, and I like it..so i stick to a 7.4 ever since. I'm also cheap, so I don't upgrade my guns unless it has broken parts. The 7.4 trigger response is fine with me..

don't forget you still need your GOOD protection eyewear, a vest, a pair of GOOD boots, to get started..if u play midcaps then some money on those cause you would need like 3-6 of them. those are like 300-400 dollars...
Old June 17th, 2015, 20:08   #5
Vladou

Wow, way to burst my bubble there! Thanks alot for the infos and opinions, you probably saved me some money, and i'm sure you did.

I plan on getting safety gear as i go before playing my first game, i work in construction, i already have some boots (STC made from Goretex retails at about 300$), maybe not some light ones, but they'd do at first, and i don't think it would impact my gameplay. While looking for guns, i'm also looking at safety materials aswell and plan on getting goggles and face protection.

The things is, i live in the city and every summer, a bunch of friends and i get together at another friends house 5 hours away from the city in a small farm town and we shoot cans with our old BB rifles. In the beginning i had planned on getting a handgun just to shake things up. Then i started to look on the net for what was available around me (Local Airsoft Shops), seems like there is only 2 in Montreal, looked for reviews about them, one was getting constant bad reviews, so i went to the other, and they told me instead of getting a handgun, to get an AEG if i was planning anyways to get into Airsoft... then i went back to get some more knowledge on AEG and this it where i am at now...

I've been looking at the newbie tank's stickies about most of the info, but never quite found any post on what to get as good gun for beginners, and to post on here was pretty much my last resources before getting an AEG, glad i made the post btw.

So now, with no real budget, what would you vets suggest me to get? Keep on the path for a M4 and look for a VFC? I don't mind getting any other kind of models, i just need a compact assault rifle like a M4 CQB. i've been looking at one or two other post and saw some suggestions like Bio's VFC SR635 or a 416 CQB.

Again i was told that getting an AEG vs a GBBr was the way to go since it was a little cheaper, had less maintenance and carried more ammo, AEG were les realistic in those terms and maybe some others i skipped. I'm pretty manual so i am looking forward to fix broken parts/ upgrade my gun as the years go. I see most vets playing with GBBr, should i stick to AEGs or could i start with a GBBr. What i'm looking for in airsoft is something that will work efficently, not really looking for realism and not looking to do competition, but am competitive, so i'd be looking for nice trigger response and efficency, while been compact enough for CQB.

And about mags and BBs, what brands of mid cap mags and BBs do you suggest. Local store here have their own brand of BBs, i assume they'd be the same as Bastard's BBs...

Sorry if this is getting too long, just looking for info, not wanting to be spoonfed or anything, just wanting to know what choices i have. again sorry for my english, tired and going to bed now...

Edit: as i'm looking to compare prices for the WE M4 CQB, i can't seem to find any, most stores carry the katana series and mine is 1 notch lower. I'll probably end up with a VFC, still looking for some feedbacks, thanks all, it is really appreciated.

Last edited by Vladou; June 17th, 2015 at 20:18..
Old June 17th, 2015, 22:11   #6
Datawraith

Hey there, and welcome to the community .

Glad to see you're doing your research and taking the opinions of the forum vets here pretty seriously.

I made a post a little while back, but it's still not complete. I do wonder what other search terms I can put in there to make it a little more visible and accessible. Please take a look and let me know how I could possibly improve the guide as well.
http://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=170942

VFC's are pretty pricey, but I think most people's opinions are if you can afford them, they are among the best AR platform AEGs you can get. If you are thinking of saving for a VFC, they have several lines; DX, E, and VR. Their DX series has engraved trademarks and are the most expensive. The details are supposedly made of slightly better materials as well (charging handle, bolt release, mag catch) but I have no way of confirming. The E series is the economic line of VFC. They have white laser-etched VFC logos instead of real trades, but the internals and the finish are identical to the DX line. The VR line is the newest and is similar to the E series, but have engraved VFC logos and use a rotary hopup instead of the standard M4 hopup. The general consensus is that the rotary is a big improvement over the original M4 hopup design and is about on par with aftermarket hopups.

Based on your parameters, and since this is your first airsoft gun, I'd stick with an AEG. You hit most of the points of why AEG>GBBR for a beginner, but all you need is a LiPo battery (7.4V) or if you want even an more responsive trigger, get a mosfet and an 11.1V LiPo.

VFC's feed with most mags. I run PMAGs, but it's personal and budget preference. BB's just buy higher end ones (NOT Walmart crap ones please). If you play indoors, .25 would probably be sufficient. Outdoors, .28 or .30 should be fine. Do NOT assume the local store BB's are equal to BBBastard's. Ask who supplied them and if you're still wary or see defects, go out and get a pack of name brand BB's.

If you don't really care about trades and don't feel like shelling out the extra cash, just get a VR series. I personally have a E-series Quake and although I love it, I honestly wish I had gotten something just a teensy bit longer for the rail space. Go on VFC's website (I can't post it, but you should be able to google VegaForceCompany and get it. It's a bit of a sketchy URL though.) and browse through their catalogue. For some reason, they don't have VR16's on their website, but meh, you can go on other retailer sites and look through those.
Datawraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 22:17   #7
ccyg8774

BB gun/pellet gun is very different from airsoft guns.
They are meant for different activities, and the performance is different.
Airsoft gun (AEG or GBB) is for shooting your friends.
BB gun/pellet gun is for shooting with your friends.
Old June 17th, 2015, 22:44   #8
Datawraith

I think OP knows that lol. Unless WE makes pellet guns in AEG form...
Old June 18th, 2015, 17:48   #9
Vladou

Thanks again for your knowledge people.

@Datawraith, i have read your thread and made my mind on an AEG, i couldn't remember why i was stuck on getting an AEG, then i found Ricochet's post (http://airsoftcanada.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=20). I share the exact same philosophy as this guy.

I'll probably get a VFC, still looking though.

@ccyg8774 Yes i know what the difference is

Getting Age verified on tuesday too, so i'll be looking at the classifieds.

Thanks again for your help, looking forward to meet you if ever it happens.
Old June 18th, 2015, 17:52   #10
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

just a word of the wise, never build a gun if you don't know what you're doing. As mentioned previously airsoft tolerances are shit, so changing out stock parts for aftermarket or other brands WILL cause headaches and waste money.

This is not real steel where assembling a gun from scratch can be cheaper.. this is airsoft. Buy the gun configured the way you want from the start.

Also a short barrel can be made to perform as well as a long barrel. Conversely, a long barrel can be made to perform as shit as a short barrel. This is airsoft, projectiles are not gyroscopic ally stabilized by rifling. BBs are lofted with backspin. So your precision is a factor of the consistency of air seal, backspin application, spherical trueness of the projectile, consistency of weight and consistency of balance of the projectile.

Barrel length has less to do with it than most would suggest.

Last edited by lurkingknight; June 18th, 2015 at 17:56..
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 23:20   #11
Vladou

Hey everyone,

I'm at a loss now, I was thinking of getting a VFC M4 CQB(Defender or Dagger, adding a red dot), then i've been told i could spend less (200-300$ range) to get something equivalent to a VFC M4 CQB like an Ares, King Arms, Cyma, ICS, G&G. I was told that any AEG are made to break, i don't mind having to repair my AEG, in fact i am looking forward to it, except not right off the bat. My question is, can i get something equivalent to a VFC and still get good accuracy, distance, consistency and reliability? Because those are number one criteras for me.

And should i get something cheaper then a VFC to begin with? Budget isn't really tight, i was looking in the range of 500-600$ for an AEG. Just looking for a good AEG with the qualities mentioned before, that could last me 1-2 years or more before i have enough experience to get a better gun.

Edit: While i'm at it, if you have any other rifle you'd want to suggest, that looks like a M4 CQB, i'm open for any suggestion. I've handled a Cyma MP5, which was nice, but feel it might be too compact and mags are longer and slimmer (which, i could change for "baby" mags?) . The lenght of the M4 CQB feels right to me, the looks too, but haven't put a cross on the MP5, yet. I was thinking of the Umarex UMP too, but then again was told to think twice about my decision. I'm just looking for options i might have. From what i've seen the M4 looks like a solid choice from most of the posts on the forums.

Last edited by Vladou; June 21st, 2015 at 23:29..
Old June 21st, 2015, 23:36   #12
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
You pay for externals, is why we told you to get VFC, since they make the best externals ont the M4 platform.

All AEG internals will require work no matter what, just depends on what you want later.
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 23:54   #13
Vladou

What i want later? For externals?
Old June 22nd, 2015, 10:52   #14
Datawraith

First gun - go for an M4 AEG. It's simply the most universal platform and therefore lots of people can help you out for troubleshooting, maintenance, or upgrades.

As Bio said, any AEG will break (eventually). The reason why we recommend VFC is because more often than not, when that happens, people take the time to upgrade instead of just do a straightforward part replacement. Therefore you might as well invest in a good quality external shell that also has high quality internals.

VFC's should last quite a while stock if you don't abuse them. They are also at the top of the list for your criteria of "something equivalent to a VFC and still get good accuracy, distance, consistency and reliability". Stock, they're pretty good. Upgraded, they are beasts that look really nice.

MP5's are pretty common but... a Cyma MP5 vs a VFC M4? No contest, VFC hands down. VFC also makes awesome MP5's but are really hard to find. Honestly, the only brands that should be ranked together with VFC are KWA and G&P (maybe G&G Toptechs). I explained the differences in the thread I linked. Still, for a starter, an M4 should be your first gun, and if you can get a good quality gun like a VFC, why not? The investment is well worth it in my opinion.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 15:22   #15
mrfister
AV Revoked

classic army m4 you get get for about $300. good starter i found and now i use it for a rental. never had any issue. but what i recommend if you buying your gun as one to last a long time is read the dr corner and see what brands are bringing in what complaints

you should think about a cheaper gun first to see if you really are going to make this a long time hobby
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank