Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Tight Bore question

:

Newbie Tank

Old February 28th, 2009, 18:32   #1
vfr86

Tight Bore question

If I buy an M4 CQB with a 6.035 tightbore, will it be just as accurate as the non-CQB counterpart? Obviously the only difference in the gun is the barrel length, but does having a tightbore compensate for overall length?
vfr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 18:48   #2
Donster

length of a tightbore determines range and accuracy. while at close range, the CQB gun with tightbore might be more accurate, it wont be able to reach out to the longer range as the standard M4. now based on the fact that you are talking about two different M4 models, the difference is almost negligible. however, if you had say a tightbore MP5 and a stock M14, then the difference will become obvious. hope that helps.
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 18:52   #3
Skladfin

Tightbore increases range? really?

Tightbores don't make as much difference in Range/Accuracy nor Groupings as a Hop up rubber does.

Think about it, Hop up rubber covers up about 1~2mm of the inner barrel, it will affect your accuracy more than ANYTHING ELSE in the barrel(Such as dust, dirt, anything).

Last edited by Skladfin; February 28th, 2009 at 19:11..
Skladfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 18:53   #4
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw

Location: Mississauga, ON -- The Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep
Hes not really asking the differance between barrel length and TB, he wants to know if a shorter barrel with a tighter bore will perform as well as a longer but wider bore barrel.

To be honest, I wouldnt see how one could get to that conclusion, but whether or not it is true I have no idea. I too would like to know the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
This is the equivalent to knocking on deaths door and blowing his head off with a shotgun.
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 18:54   #5
Amos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skladfin View Post
Tightbore increases range? really?

Tightbores don't make as much difference in Range/Accuracy nor Groupings as a Hop up rubber does.

This about it, Hop up rubber covers up about 1~2mm of the inner barrel, it will affect your accuracy more than ANYTHING ELSE in the barrel(Such as dust, dirt, anything).
... Tightbores do increase range.

If the BB's bouncing around in a non-consistent bore the range will suffer greatly.

It's not really the tightness that matters (that's more for tuning FPS) but the consistency of the bore through-out.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 18:57   #6
Conscript
AKaholic

Don't get a tightbore for a gun with less than a 250mm barrel. Try getting a Tanio Koba twist barrel, those are much better for shorter barreled guns vs normal tightbores. You'll see an impressive difference.
Conscript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 18:59   #7
vfr86

I'm asking the question to find out that if I buy a CQB with a tightbore, I'm just concerned that it wont be as effective outdoors as the same gun, with a longer tightbore. I'm probably going to be getting far more outdoor usage with the gun, but I like the look of a CQB M4.
Old February 28th, 2009, 19:03   #8
Capt.Flan

I swap the 6.08 280mm stock to a prometheus 6.03 280mm inner barrel in my CQB M4 and grouping is a lot better and gave me a very small FPS increase. About 5-10 fps.

But HOP UP is definitely an important factor for accuracy and range.

P.S. Not sure about the range. CQB games did not gave me enough space to check long range shots. I believe it did not change much.

Now I believe that you will not be happy whit a CQB carabine for long range outdoor shots. A tight bore on a small length barrel will not give you the range precision needed for outdoor games that is for sure. Longer the barrel is the more long range accuracy you will get.

Last edited by Capt.Flan; February 28th, 2009 at 19:09..
Capt.Flan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 20:09   #9
m102404
Tys

I'm just getting over the flu and haven't eaten much in a couple of days....so this might be completely wrong...

Traditional non-tightbores are 6.08mm...a lot of clones were coming out anywhere from 6.08-6.10mm. I have no idea what a new CA is spec'ing now.

A tightbore (6.03 or 6.04) will increase muzzle FPS...a little (5-15fps)...vs. a non-tightbore (i.e. 6.08mm).

A tightbore will increase your effective range vs. a non-tightbore...but heavier bbs still have a much more dramatic effect.

A longer barrel will increase your effective range vs. a shorter barrel...bore diameter being the same

In some setups...a longer barrel will result in a significant FPS boost vs. a shorter barrel....mechbox & bore diameter being the same. I've setup several M4's this way, where they shoot 385fps with a M4 length barrel and 345fps with a CQB barrel.

So...in your CQB rifle...don't expect to get "long gun" accuracy with such a short barrel....but you do your part, you'll be fine in the field. A tightbore & heavier bbs (i.e. 0.25 min...better yet 0.28) will dramatically improve your effective range.

Cheap and easy upgrade...go for it. Replace the hopup rubber at the same time.

Best of luck...

Tys
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 21:19   #10
vfr86

Thanks guys, its my first gun that I'm talking about buying here, and i guess i can always buy a new receiver set for it in the future.
Old February 28th, 2009, 22:04   #11
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw

Location: Mississauga, ON -- The Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep
Its not one of those G&G cansoft guns is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
This is the equivalent to knocking on deaths door and blowing his head off with a shotgun.
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 01:11   #12
vfr86

Yeah, it is. I'm just starting out, and i don't want to spend $500+ on a gun. I've heard good things about the G&G cansoft AEG's. Should I look elsewhere?
Old March 1st, 2009, 01:17   #13
Amos

The clear G&G stuff is decent entry level from what I've heard, but the great thing about black rifles are that they retain their value...

If you spend 500 or so on a used black rifle you'll really save a bit of money in the end... G&G's normally go for what, 380 or so? Add another 250 to 350 on for a decent metal body (don't bother with Dboys... those bodies are awful) and you're over what it would cost you for a good name brand used gun.

Black rifles also retain their value alot better than clear guns... you may play the game only to find you don't like it... If you're gonna go clear I'd suggest a cheap Kraken from Cabelas (I think they're only like 115 bucks or something right now)

But if you're set on an M4 and don't mind the clear lower, go right ahead and buy one... But when in the future you want to upgrade the body, just sell off your clear G&G and buy an all black gun (It's cheaper that way)
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank