Newbie Tank

Old May 9th, 2012, 00:08   #16
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

I take that as a shining endorsement of the product. :P
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:08   #17
MultipleParadox

I'm starting to get interested in that product, from the few reviews I've read, but I'm not sure about a few things. From what I understood (and I doubt I understood correctly), this hopup involves modifications to both the barrel and the hopup arm is that right?

Are these modifications permanent and irreversible? How hard/long is it to mod and install?

If anyone cares to explain its functioning in better word than the site's too it'd be great :P

Thanks

GBBR- bang bang -- Giggle

AEG-- merrrzip merrzip -- meh
MultipleParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:27   #18
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

Only some barrels need to have the window enlarged. by far and large I think most aeg barrels don't need to be touched. The hop material is just cut to match the existing window.

To reverse it, you just remove the r-hop material and scrape off the glue you used to secure it to the barrel and replace your bucking with one that does not have a shaved mound (hur hur hur, that's right, I said it)

I am trying to determine if the hopup arm needs to be modded or not. I think it does not have to be, you can use a standard cylindrical nub, but using the block nub provides even more stability. Obviously you have to alter the arm if you want to use the block for full effect, so if you install one with a modded arm, you will need to replace the arm if you ever revert. And of course... the only thing you need to replace in the whole rig as maintenance would be the shaved bucking as the hop material is reputed to never wear out.
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:30   #19
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

The Z-hop kits are dead easy to use and requires VERY little tuning.

I've had success pairing them (ZIR kit) with SHS or Lonex hop rubbers on my scratch-built G&P M4s.

Last edited by Stealth; May 9th, 2012 at 10:45..
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:38   #20
Long_Bong

What about performance, worth it?

Bong
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:43   #21
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long_Bong View Post
What about performance, worth it?

Bong
Well it depends. If your gun shoots 400fps, do you think it's effective to be hit by a 50fps BB about 300 feet away?
The consistency is slightly improved over one of my tuned setups using a "normal" hop rubber.
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:45   #22
Long_Bong

Hum, i had a 500 fps tm l96 and a 450 fps m14 dmr in mind

Bong
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:59   #23
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Here is my personal recommendation: Unless your gun is shooting significantly over 450fps with 0.20g BBs AND you're planning on using heavier ammo (0.30 or above), the R Hops aren't really worth your time.

The 2 basic advantages of the R hop vs. traditional hop is increased hop to lift heavier ammo and increased range. But you have to factor in the impact velocity at those ranges.
http://mackila.com/airsoft/atp/
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:12   #24
Fuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
Here is my personal recommendation: Unless your gun is shooting significantly over 450fps with 0.20g BBs AND you're planning on using heavier ammo (0.30 or above), the R Hops aren't really worth your time.

The 2 basic advantages of the R hop vs. traditional hop is increased hop to lift heavier ammo and increased range. But you have to factor in the impact velocity at those ranges.
This makes sense that the heavier bb will be afforded better lift.

So, for say .25 bb at 360 fps, will the R-hop signicantly outrange normal hop ups?
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:16   #25
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

rhop isn't just about range, it's creating more consistency. By separating the mound from the bucking, the bucking only has to function as airseal, so this supposedly creates better consistency in fps and tighter groupings within the effective range of the gun. \

I find the range on my gun acceptable, more would be better, however if r-hop lets me hit a sheet of paper consistently at 40-50m instead of a mansized target, now we're talking more practical use.
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:21   #26
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
rhop isn't just about range, it's creating more consistency. By separating the mound from the bucking, the bucking only has to function as airseal, so this supposedly creates better consistency in fps and tighter groupings within the effective range of the gun. \

I find the range on my gun acceptable, more would be better, however if r-hop lets me hit a sheet of paper consistently at 40-50m instead of a mansized target, now we're talking more practical use.
With proper tuning, that is easily achievable with a standard hop setup.
Please don't take this as a snobby comment, but I see a lot of users just throw money at problems buying up trick hop sleeves hoping that it'll just work out of the box.

All hop-ups, the R-hop included does require some tuning and fiddling. Also, some hop rubbers are better than others.
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:23   #27
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
This makes sense that the heavier bb will be afforded better lift.

So, for say .25 bb at 360 fps, will the R-hop signicantly outrange normal hop ups?
How do you quantify significant? Double?

We're doing more testing with more "conventional" setups to determine the feasibility of bringing these in (namely the "gameability) and being a HS5 Canadian dealer, stay tuned.

Last edited by Stealth; May 9th, 2012 at 11:26..
Old May 9th, 2012, 15:15   #28
iKliiu

After ruining the installation of my first batch of R hops, I got extremely nice results.

If you want to experiment but are afraid of screwing up, I suggest picking up some silicone or rubber tubing off eBay.
It is the same material R hops are made of, but they come but the foot or meter, so you have many more chances to get a good install.
iKliiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 15:28   #29
Azathoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post

I disagree. Even at the energy levels that we game a 1.7j their is a significant improvement in consistency and range. I don't think anyone in The local area shoots anything less than a 0.30bb even at 1.7joules

R Hop is definitely worth your time as you will get far more effective range from you gun. G hop etc is still pretty popular in Japan and seeing 1joule guns shoot as far as a typical Canadian 1.7 joule gun with the same ammo is an eye opener
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 15:48   #30
Foxer2373

I had an Rhop made and installed by a local gun doc in my ASR custom build bolt action 475fps with .2's actually use .4's an my TM m14 semi only dmr with systema internalls shooting 420fps with 0.2's and I use 0.3's....

With both I can hit a torso target at 250' and without the R hop I was badly getting 150' I am sold on them my next project is my SR25 so we will see if they work with full auto and Burst fire of a raptor MOSFET.
Foxer2373 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank