Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Reliable Tactical Boots

:

Gear Discussion

Old July 3rd, 2012, 22:21   #16
dutch13

Save your nickels and buy converse...most comfortable boots I've ever worn and I buy at least two pairs of work boots a year.
dutch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 13:47   #17
Poopapoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzaku View Post
never mind, good ones are at least 100 plus, condor is a hit and miss on their, just go surplus
If I change my budget to 100, what advice could you give me.
Poopapoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 13:54   #18
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

You can't play this sport on a budget - can't be done.

Your best bet is to get a pair of surplus mk3 or GP boots (CF issue) from a surplus store. Jeroon @ Army Issue should be able to kit you out.

In my personal experience, I've had the following experience with boots;

(keep in mind when I am talking about how long a boot lasts, I'm referring to deployment/field conditions, you will get more wear playing airsoft / mooching around on your Mom's couch)

Original Swat - Cheap, fall apart within 2-3 months. Fine for garrison but not field worthy;

Danner - My personal favourite, built like a brick sh!t house, last forever but out of your price range unless you can find a good used pair;

Converse - Good build quality, comfy has hell but a bit on the hot side;

CF Mk 3 - Good basic boot, usually the cheapest option and due to being all leather somewhat water resistant without the need for a goretex liner;

CF GP - The worst boot ever, nicknamed "cripplers" commonly, a lot of people have problems with fit especially in the toe box, but if you are one of the few people who can wear them comfortably, then they are a good boot with a nice vibram sole.

Altama Jungleboot / exospeeds - Fair price, poorly built will not last long in temperate / wet conditions. Great desert boots though.

That being said, what sized boot are you looking for?

Last edited by Kokanee; July 4th, 2012 at 14:00..
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 14:09   #19
Poopapoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post

Your best bet is to get a pair of surplus mk3 or GP boots (CF issue) from a surplus store. Jeroon @ Army Issue should be able to kit you out.

In my personal experience, I've had the following experience with boots;

(keep in mind when I am talking about how long a boot lasts, I'm referring to deployment/field conditions, you will get more wear playing airsoft / mooching around on your Mom's couch)

Original Swat - Cheap, fall apart within 2-3 months. Fine for garrison but not field worthy;

Danner - My personal favourite, built like a brick sh!t house, last forever but out of your price range unless you can find a good used pair;

Converse - Good build quality, comfy has hell but a bit on the hot side;

CF Mk 3 - Good basic boot, usually the cheapest option and due to being all leather somewhat water resistant without the need for a goretex liner;

CF GP - The worst boot ever, nicknamed "cripplers" commonly, a lot of people have problems with fit especially in the toe box, but if you are one of the few people who can wear them comfortably, then they are a good boot with a nice vibram sole.

Altama Jungleboot / exospeeds - Fair price, poorly built will not last long in temperate / wet conditions. Great desert boots though.

That being said, what sized boot are you looking for?
10 or 11
Old July 4th, 2012, 14:40   #20
MultipleParadox

The thing is (at least, that's my opinion on this), you cannot buy boots and such online, unless you are ready and have certitude that you can return/exchange them.

Boots, especially for airsoft or similar activities, have to fit you well and you have to be comfortable in them or you'll swear your day away and not enjoy anything.

All makers don't make their boots the same way and all, so even if you'd have certitude you normally use size 10 boots, company A's boots might fit better for your with 11, or you might be better size 10 for company B's boots, or 9 in another's. Then you sometime have width measurements. Some makers will make the same sized boots in different width to accomodate different feet. Which one you take? Take a guess and find out you can't wear them? Bad idea in my opinion.

Also, one guy might swear only by Swat Original because they're the most comfortable, but you could find out that for you they're more like a torture apparatus, and vice versa.

If I have a recommendation to make, it's this one:
Go to your local outdoor store, or surplus store, and try them all. When you fell really comfy, buy them and enjoy.

Of course, make sure you buy quality if you want them to last. Vibram soles are often recommended (they got a lot of attention recently as I recon; It doesn't mean that non-vibram is not good, it might be the same or better or not). Goretex membranes or similar is a great plus, as it'll keep you dry if you get in water and such.

GBBR- bang bang -- Giggle

AEG-- merrrzip merrzip -- meh
MultipleParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 11:12   #21
Armyissue
Administrator of Pants

Send a message via MSN to Armyissue Send a message via Skype™ to Armyissue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post

Armyissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 17:21   #22
The Crippster

Sorry to mildly threadjack, but I've got a somewhat similar concern.

I'm also looking for good boots, and I don't want to order online, especially since reading this thread.

The problem is my shoe size is 15 EE. Budget is preferably under 200 dollars. Any ideas, guys?
The Crippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 17:31   #23
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippster View Post
Sorry to mildly threadjack, but I've got a somewhat similar concern.

I'm also looking for good boots, and I don't want to order online, especially since reading this thread.

The problem is my shoe size is 15 EE. Budget is preferably under 200 dollars. Any ideas, guys?
yes.. take up swimming
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 20:32   #24
The Crippster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
yes.. take up swimming
Thanks, I used to do pentathlon for team ontario, but I'm thinking boots.
The Crippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 21:12   #25
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippster View Post
Thanks, I used to do pentathlon for team ontario, but I'm thinking boots.
Your feet are "off spec" cheap is not in the equation, neither is buying online unless you find a make you have tried on before and see a deal online.

But then you knew that already
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 22:31   #26
Six By Ten
2tall2brawl

Original SWAT makes 15s and wide sizes, and authorised SWAT retailer would be able to order them in for you.

If you're looking for something a bit higher quality, I wear size 14 Blackhawk Black Ops boots, I have a wide foot but the medium fit me very well, size 15s are available if I'm not mistaken, MD Charlton carries Blackhawk and can do special orders I believe. I'm trying to source Converse Boots in my size, but haven't found a place to try them on yet.
Six By Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 01:56   #27
Poopapoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six By Ten View Post
Original SWAT makes 15s and wide sizes, and authorised SWAT retailer would be able to order them in for you.

If you're looking for something a bit higher quality, I wear size 14 Blackhawk Black Ops boots, I have a wide foot but the medium fit me very well, size 15s are available if I'm not mistaken, MD Charlton carries Blackhawk and can do special orders I believe. I'm trying to source Converse Boots in my size, but haven't found a place to try them on yet.
the only problem is that I propably won't be able to find it in my area.
Old July 6th, 2012, 05:17   #28
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

You know what, my $15 US issue Desert Storm-2006ish surplus desert boots have been running strong with a moderate amount of care for about 6 years now. They ABSOLUTELY NEED an aftermarket insole and some breaking in though.

I wouldn't buy them used, but if you can buy them new I'd absolutely recommend them, but that's all good advice or any surplus boot.

Don't buy used (you need to break them in yourself to match YOUR foot), if you do buy used try that motherfucker on first, take care of the boot, buy a goddamn suitable supportive insole (cushy gel shit is not good; but an insole which supports the arch and leaves no room for movement of the heel).

A boot which flexes and moves the way your foot wants to move is what you want. What you DON'T want is a boot which allows your ankle and arch to move in an uncontrolled way. Your boots are your boots, and your feet are for life. All the brand advice in the world can't help you if you don't buy boots which don't work WITH (not for) your feet.

An absolute must with any boot is to wear it under heavy regular strain (walking, running, standing etc) before you field it, so that you can get used to the weight, feel, and dynamics of the boot vs. feet so that you don't have to think about them during a game.
Boots are helping you, or hurting you. There's no middle-ground.
I will support previous posters, though, by saying that you should be prepared to drop heavy coin on a boot regardless, and the difference between a good boot and a dead boot is the level of care which you apply to it.

Nike runners should die in a year or two because they're built that way, for that purpose.
If a boot dies in a year or two, it's because you fucked up somewhere.
If a boot dies in a year or two even though you've done all you can to treat it well, you still didn't do enough, or they were shitty boots and you learn from the prchase and moved on to a better boot.
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:02   #29
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopapoo View Post
the only problem is that I propably won't be able to find it in my area.
R Nicholls carries Blackhawk boots, they would be able to order you in a set no problems;

http://www.rnicholls.com/en/index.php

They have a store in Mississauga

That being said, I'm breaking in a new set of Danner's right now for work and they are sweeeeeet; like I'm wearing slippers

http://www.danner.com/dannerr-rat-te...ots-24039.html
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:55   #30
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

converse are REALLY comfy
altama exospeed are great for ankle support and wet ops
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion