Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

IR laser sites

:

Accessories Discussion

Old November 4th, 2005, 01:34   #1
JohnnyDo

Send a message via MSN to JohnnyDo
IR laser sites

ok guys, i've looked and searched. has anyone in thier travels seen an online store that sell IR laser sites? I'm not looking to spend anything close to $400 US but $100 US I might consider it. specifically looking to spend less of course if anyone has any ideas on just the IR laser module etc.

I'm open to all comments or advice other then peopel flaming me for wanting to use a taboo laser site.

Thanks guys.
JohnnyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 03:29   #2
|2enegade

I've seen infrared laser sights on both WGC and Redwolf.
G&P makes them, though I doubt you'll get them for less than $200.

"And the Lord said unto John, 'Come forth and receive eternal life.' But John came fifth and won a toaster."
|2enegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 11:00   #3
Droc
ebay is your friend
but the IR lazer not much use without NVGs if im not mistaken.
Old November 5th, 2005, 11:07   #4
Digital_Assasin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droc
ebay is your friend
but the IR lazer not much use without NVGs if im not mistaken.
That is true, you will need NVG or an IR sensitive camera to pick up the beam. Also depending on their power they still pose a hazard to the eye, as they still are a concentrated beam of energy. Also since the beam is "invisible" they are only sold with momentary switches (in the US at least), you can probably mod it to be on/off, but that's probably not a good idea.

Surefire has them but will only sell to qualified law enforcement and military personnel.
Digital_Assasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 11:25   #5
Freedom Fighter

They are extremely expensive. I cool toy I was considering for use with my Gen2+ NV Scope but to be honest, it turned out to be one of those really cool gadgets that ends up being horrendously expensive and just as impracticle for airsoft. Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm honestly trying to prevent you from making an expensive mistake.
Old November 5th, 2005, 13:05   #6
DonP

If you have a small amount of electronics and mechanical skills, an Airsoft quality one can be made from one of those G&P or CA laser sights. Buy an IR laser (just the component - the high wavelengths can get very expensive, but the lower range is not so bad) and replace the laser unit inside.

I did this with a CA laser sight a few years ago. Works fine, but at the time I paid probably around 80-100 for the laser sight in the first place, and another 100 for the IR laser.
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 13:26   #7
JohnnyDo

hehe, well I do have NVG (thanks DonP) so I'm good to go. I actually found a canadian laser manufacture that is willing to sell me an IR laser module for around $60. Just gotta mod it into an actual laser site.

it's <1mw so very low powered and pretty cheap. I was mainly wondering if any of you guys have seen an already built unit for a resonable price other then the one listed on ebay for way too much. The reserve is over $200 US and shipping is like $50 US or something.

If you guys do happen to find anything, please feel free to let me know as I do not know how well the mod with the above module will work out. I'll post pics if I can when i'm done.
Old November 5th, 2005, 13:32   #8
Blastyman

Send a message via ICQ to Blastyman
Well G&P makes a PAQ-4 IR laser but I haven't seen it listed for sale anywhere.

I know the regular PAQ-4 comes in around 80 bucks or so not sure how much more the IR one would be provided you could find a place to order one from.

EDIT

WGC has this model in but not the PAQ-4 and yeah its pricey

Its says its barely visible to the Naked eye though??????

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper...378_cat_Lasers
Blastyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 14:08   #9
JohnnyDo

ya I just seen that site on their web site. $200 US is a bit much .. but i'm seriously thinking about it. Gotta talk to the powers that be and find out how much that would be landed after shipping, duty and exchange.

My magic price point is around $100 US ... less is better .. more kinda kills the idea and i'll just get a modeul for $60 and mod into a laser site
Old November 5th, 2005, 14:14   #10
-Skeletor-
Instead of getting something that shoots out a IR beam, why not buy a flashlight and get a IR lens cover for it? Might be cheaper, plus it'll be somewhat more practical than a beam.
Old November 5th, 2005, 14:34   #11
JohnnyDo

becuase of the way the NVG optics are ... I can only focus in on a limited range... ie focus on an object 20' away but if that object moves closer or further away it's all blurry. End result is I can focus on people walking at the end of a hallway, but when I look through my sites of my mp5 of hand gun it's all blurry. I'd rather point the gun and know exactly where the gun is supposed to land a shot and thus take aim and get my one shot kills. or be more stealthy.

It's not a matter of me having more light as I already have an IR illuminator built into the goggles as well a protable illuminator. it's a matter of not being able to sight in my targets when I shoot, basically shooting blind for the most part.
Old November 5th, 2005, 15:17   #12
Digital_Assasin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastyman

Its says its barely visible to the Naked eye though??????
It depends on what wave length the IR is. 800-850 nm is barley visible as a faint red glow. 900 nm on the other hand is not visible to the naked eye.

Remeber IR can cause damage to the eye, relative to the output power and the proximity to the source. So if you make a IR laser sight treat it like a visible laser safety wise.
Digital_Assasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 19:19   #13
JohnnyDo

anyone else happen to find a cheap IR laser solution in their travels? I did find a module for $60 and digikey sells IR modules for around $80 so i know I have that option.

i still prefer to buy an all in one solution of an IR laser site that is adjustable etc but still not break the bank.
Old November 6th, 2005, 19:31   #14
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

IR laser and bank integrity is 2 things.

Even real military grade red laser are expensive.

For what it's worth, a cheap Red replica laser work fine for what we do.
Mine costed 60$, have a remote momentary switch, can be ajusted and work damn well.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion