Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Real names on the forum?

:

General

View Poll Results: Would you like to see real names used on this forum?
Definitely. Being anonymous doesn't help the community - we should be using real names. 29 7.97%
Yes, but only show it in my profile, or under my username - I want to keep my callsign! 105 28.85%
Yes, but only as an option - I'll post my real name if I feel comfortable sharing it publicly. 106 29.12%
Not really, but I'd go along with it. 32 8.79%
No, definitely not. 51 14.01%
Yes, but only my first name and initial of my last 41 11.26%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 13th, 2006, 23:59   #31
Gryphon

I'm not comfortable giving out my personal info except to those I do business with. I certainly don't think this should be mandatory at all. If it goes that way, my name is John Doe. Or Joe Smith. Take your pick.
Old May 14th, 2006, 00:14   #32
attack-beaver

i'm more leaning toward aqua and gryphon on this if we do have to go real name some where i would hide mine from the publie of the use of john doe and joe smith or something along those lines would be used the only time my info should be put out is between another member during a deal.
Old May 14th, 2006, 00:47   #33
aZn_triXta07

I think we should leave the names to verified members only and be disclosed in trade/buy & sell purposes on the forum. Even with that first name and initial sounds good to me. I personally do not like people parading my name around openly as to me it's quite an intrusion of privacy. It's actually quite creepy. I like the alias's and avatars, it gets to the point where I refer people to it rofl XD
Old May 14th, 2006, 00:51   #34
conrad

Send a message via MSN to conrad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftonius
But....Deftonius IS my real name.

...I'm....Polish?
Haha yeah go Polaks! I also use my real name although I converted the Polish spelling with K to a C...but I do like my initials beeing after a cheesy noodle food

KD :salute:
Old May 14th, 2006, 00:54   #35
firemachine69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon
I'm not comfortable giving out my personal info except to those I do business with. I certainly don't think this should be mandatory at all. If it goes that way, my name is John Doe. Or Joe Smith. Take your pick.

I get dibs on James Bond!
Old May 14th, 2006, 03:12   #36
Deftonius
Troll

Send a message via ICQ to Deftonius Send a message via AIM to Deftonius Send a message via MSN to Deftonius
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftonius
But....Deftonius IS my real name.

...I'm....Polish?
Haha yeah go Polaks! I also use my real name although I converted the Polish spelling with K to a C...but I do like my initials beeing after a cheesy noodle food

KD :salute:
Okay, I lied. I'm actually Dirka Dirkastani.
Old May 14th, 2006, 04:07   #37
johnnyrico

I am afraid that I have to agree with not giving out that info.

I do not believe that having real names posted on the WEB for just anyone to see is a good idea at all, and I would be against the idea.

For deals / transactions I give out my first name all the time, and quite frankly they get my bank account / address if they deal with me anyway so people do have recourse if a deal goes sour.

I would not want my full name posted under any circumstances. First name with last initial for transactions MAYBE.

But again I don't think that it should be mandatory.

Just my two cents.

"When just seconds can mean life or death, the police are just minutes away"

"If you can read this, thank a teacher... Since it's in English, thank a soldier"
Old May 14th, 2006, 04:29   #38
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Miles I would think this would be best as an option. Although the manditory display of names may promote the perception of more accountibility, scammers will, in the end, always scam.
Old May 14th, 2006, 04:42   #39
Shugart

Why not just put the name everyone calls you by?

You really can't get much info outta one name. Mike, Bob, Frank, Fuzzy...

Now, all communication is a lot less awkward cause you know the actual name of the person your talking too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah Arendt
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thucydides
The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:00   #40
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to Yeoman
ha already light years ahead of you!
my last name IS my call sign (has been for the last 21 years, damn having 3 other Greg's in you class growing up sucks)
though having first name under the call sign does sound like a good idea like grim stated, because really, I hate using nicknames. I'd much rather use first names.
Greg
Old May 14th, 2006, 08:45   #41
Greylocks

I just voted, but now to think of it; if the moderators/admins want my real name, they can get it IF it stays locked for their use only.

But to post any specific details about myself for all of Canada (and elsewhere) to see by force is an invasion of privacy.
I trust the Admins here, but I sure as hell dont give that trust to everyone who reads these forums.

At meetings, the solution is simple; "Hi, my name is xxxxxxx, also known as Greylocks."
There you go.
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:24   #42
SINN

Send a message via MSN to SINN
^^^ agreed. I think the admins should have the info, but it's not public info unless you want to share it. Don't most people in a sale give out their real name at some point for shipping etc? We use the trader rating to help sales. Besides, who will police whether people are posting their realnames?
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:48   #43
BloodSport
Traveling Man

Yup people who I have done business with know my real name, but I personally do not want everyone to have my name known. Especiall since I'm a Mod now, and I'm sure the other mods/admins and age verifiers can think the same thing, because if our names are public knowledge whats to stop some 12 year old kid who is getting flames and banned from the site from looking up our home phone numbers on 411.ca or in the phone book and bugging us at home....

But having a list of real names from the age verifications we have done, which is kept by the admins and secure in the event of a scammer is good. And we've seen its benefits already this year.
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:56   #44
bean
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to bean
My name is already freely posted ont he forums along with many of the other age verifiers. If given ten seconds they could add me to msn and bam there it is again. I have no problem with giving my phone number and stuff. Jokes on them if they want to break into my house i dotn even have my guns there anymore. They can call all they want im not even home 90% of the time. I give ym phone number cell and home freely to those whom i verify along with my home adress. Our player base is far smaller in the maritimes though.
Old May 14th, 2006, 10:18   #45
Gerkraz

I give my first name out to anyone I PM. I think it's the only polite thing to do. I definitely think it should be an option for users to display their first and/or last names for other to see, but this can easily be accomplished by adding it your signature. I do not think it's right to force people to display their real names. So again, if this is optional no one can complain.

Personally, I don't mind displaying my name for people to see.
Closed ThreadTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General