Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

optics questions: acog vs fts magnifier

:

Accessories Discussion

Old June 23rd, 2015, 23:07   #1
Detriix

optics questions: acog vs fts magnifier

hey gents

I have a quick question. it might just come down to preferance, but as the title says, acog vs fts 3x mag + eotech. what's everyone opinion?

IG: callsign_manbun
Detriix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 23:09   #2
daishi

Send a message via MSN to daishi
Magnified optics in airsoft.

Stop kidding yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian291 View Post
This is one of the funniest things I've read.
Commandment 1 of LMGesus: Fuck getting kills. That's the job of your teammates, otherwise known as the cannon fodder. Your job is to be scary.
daishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 23:44   #3
naminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daishi View Post
Magnified optics in airsoft.

Stop kidding yourself.
Because sighting in a rifle at 150 feet with iron sights while using black rounds is just a blast right?
Were you maybe expecting 1+1 = donut?
naminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 00:08   #4
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

And it also has its other uses. A FTS wont always be as stable, will be able to get hung up on gear and twigs and such. And in most cases will add extra weight.
As for an acog im nit a huge fan of them but I can say on most guns just a red dot is fine. As for zoom i run a 3-9x40 bushnel trophy on my bolt action.
Never sees zoom above 5(for potting ahead) and 3 for shooting in most cases. I havent found one I like yet but ill be getting a short dot type scope for it. Basically a red dot with 1.5-5 or7x zoom. In most cases itll be in red dot mode or 1.5x zoom for shooting.
Zoom isnt all that important for airsoft, esoecially if you are needing to track your shots. Over 2 or 3x you wind up losing the bb (its flight path will leave the fov of the optic) due to the arched trajectory you use at long enough ranges to need zoom to begin with.
As fir sighting in first you shoot down range and get yer hop set well, cant see your black, tan, green etc... bbs? Hang a white sheet or shoot with the sun at your back in morning or evening, the bb will shine, youll see it.
Then you set your sights on the target and clamp down the rifle, shoot, either a spotter or yourself watches ir goes and looks at the target and you adjust the sights and retry untill your in the sights and on target job done, bb color doesnt matter. You can use a bore sighter to get the general area and then fine tune from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft

Last edited by Hectic; June 24th, 2015 at 00:12..
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 00:31   #5
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

unless you're willing to pay some good money for the magnifier, anything under 100 bucks JUST FOR THE MAGNIFIER glass is a waste of money.

Your naked eye should be able to see 50-60m Some assisted optics could be used from the 60-90m range, but anything beyond 70 requires a lot of luck even with good tuning and modding of your gun, not optic.

Half the people I see with optics on their airsoft guns don't even know how to zero them.
Old June 24th, 2015, 02:57   #6
Red Dot
Google level: BOSS

Personally magnifying optics are heavy and for how little useful I found them I ditched them in favour of a red dot.

If you wish to have one I'd recommend something like an ACOG over a FTS + red dot setup purely on weight and alignment issues with magnifiers behind another sight.
Red Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 08:05   #7
EOD Steve

Trijicon TR24.
Solves all of your problems. https://youtu.be/UoadS9VyBCo

Or some other similar short-dot style scope.

The Steve has spoken.

Last edited by EOD Steve; June 24th, 2015 at 08:07..
EOD Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 08:32   #8
-Shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Steve View Post
Trijicon TR24.
Solves all of your problems. https://youtu.be/UoadS9VyBCo

Or some other similar short-dot style scope.
So beautiful O_O

I run something similar to this. An accushot-type circle dot or something. Some people like me need to run a magnified optic because of shitty vision or complicated eye surgery that takes 3+ months of healing in my case. They're a lifesaver for that when outdoors.

I've used FTS optics before, and as previously stated, you need a real steel one. The repro magnifiers have awful eye relief and are generally shitty all around. If you are able to nab a Primary Arms Magnifier and Red Dot from the USA - those work very well.

Make sure for whatever optic you get, you test it out with your face and eye protection on if you can. Goggles and mesh masks can get in the way when you're looking down the sights. Long eye relief can help with this sometimes, but it also depends on the gun, optic height, type of stock ect.

Last edited by -Shade; June 24th, 2015 at 08:32.. Reason: words
-Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 09:19   #9
Zack The Ripper

Send a message via MSN to Zack The Ripper
Magnified optics have their place.

Outdoor play can be done mostly with dot sights, however if you have bad eye sight or want to take a long range recon role a short dot is a good piece to use. Being able to swap between a 1x to 4x in a jiffy is a handy tool to have.

Keep in mind eye relief and that even on 1x you will still deal with eye relief on a short dot. This means snap shooting will not be as easy. However, you can find great short dots with 5" eye relief in many places these days.

Magnifiers ALL have terrible eye relief, even quality AimPoint and EOTech magnifiers input have a little over 3" of eye relief. That's as good as it gets with them.

You could get a Leupold HAMR, but you won't be able to buy much of anything else for awhile.

Last edited by Zack The Ripper; June 24th, 2015 at 09:29..
Zack The Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 10:15   #10
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

the more expensive the shortdot, the better the eye relief, at 1x or 1.25x as low as they go, snap shooting can happen if the eye relief is generous. The 2 or 3 shortdots I've tried are sort of ok for this with the one I have currently being the best out of what I've tried, but also at 230$ish shipped to me vs the 100$ where I started.

Where the biggest difference will come in that price is the eye relief at maximum magnification becomes REALLY bad at low priced scopes, having to spend half a second or longer to find the exact spot you're supposed to be in to get a sight picture through the tube, and even then you may end up seeing more of the inside of the tube than your target, and by the time you get it right, you've been shot or the target has moved on.

The cheaper scopes were nothing but frustration as I never had time to setup and shoot before the opportunity was gone, so for anything less than 150$ I would not bother unless you know it has a good tube because you've tried it in person.

The other issue is that some cheaper scopes have a difference zero point at 1x vs maximum x, so you have to compensate at some point and zero it to one or the other and remember that it's not exact at the other end of the magnification spectrum.

Get your rifle to the point that you can use a scope... then get your skills to the point where you can shoot beyond your naked eye sight for the BB flight path.. THEN get the scope.

You're also going to be fairly disappointed in how even the most well tuned rifle will have a bigass grouping at the maximum reaches of your range.

Also a mildot, triangle or crosshair is infinitely frustrating in airsoft, you will never be able to consistently get shots on the dot, they are a cone around the dot depending on the range. A circle dot reticle is much more useful in that you can put the circle on target and know instantly where your cone of BBs will be if you've done your zeroing correctly.

Last edited by lurkingknight; June 24th, 2015 at 10:18..
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 14:11   #11
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

Like stealth and i said.
http://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/pr...-shortdot.html
best of both worlds.
Quote:
Thanks Hectic,
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Old June 24th, 2015, 17:22   #12
EOD Steve

Who is Stealth?

The Steve has spoken.
EOD Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 17:28   #13
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

http://www.airsoftstore.ca/index.php...29076003644b1b

Having known someone who has that utg scope, I have to say it's a great scope for the price. The next model up from utg is the one I ended up with.

Last edited by lurkingknight; June 24th, 2015 at 18:45..
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 18:38   #14
Chromey
Whiny Attention Whore

Quote:
Who is Stealth?
LMAO, Oooops
Old June 24th, 2015, 19:35   #15
Hectic

Quote:
Who is Stealth?
Blah my bad lol. Steve.
Quote:
Thanks Hectic,
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
ReplyTop