Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Protecting your Airsoft Combat Camera?

:

General

Old August 16th, 2006, 17:26   #16
Drake
E-01

I've taken out my $1200 Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX on the field, and the concern has crossed my mind.

I always have a B+W MRC UV(0) filter on it for protection (which is worth a fair amount in itself), so I usually add a second, cheapo Optex UV filter over it to protect against BBs; the Optex filter is only worth about $40 so I don't mind it getting damaged, and in the case of a hit it should rob the BB of most of its energy. Failing that, or in the case of multiple BBs, there's the second (usual) UV filter in place.

I also recommend using your lens hood, which should help deflect shots coming from "off camera" (the logic being if you're looking through the viewfinder and you see someone pointing a gun in your direction, you'll probably be smart enough to point the camera down -- but outside your field of view you may not see the person about to shoot in your direction)

For daylight shots, the cheaper filter won't affect things that much as long you aren't shooting into a light source (cheap, uncoated filters will flare/reflect light, especially with dSLRs).

But in the end, it comes down to calculated risk. If you aren't willing to gamble the lens, don't take it on the field.
Old August 16th, 2006, 18:01   #17
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

I use a cheap UV filter on my lenses. You just have to be carefull of the ugly flare they cause when shooting in the direction of the sun.

I also use my sunshade on my lense, even if there is no sun, to protect from agles shots at the lense.

I also worry a lot about the LCDs screens on my camera. A BB hit on that would not be forgibing, so I alway aim the camera downward, with my hand over the LCDs when I walk in a hot zone.

I tried wearing bright yellow with reflector police coat. But even with that, the common level of IQ among some players is pretty low. They think: "Look at that bright fool! staying in the open with what look like a small AEG, he did not saw me, I will light him up!"

So now I just go with my normal BDU and try not to get in the way of other players.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 19:25   #18
deep in the bush
Monkey with a Gun

Send a message via MSN to deep in the bush
protection

i use a clear filter or uv on my lens too...works great...should have one all the time on it anyhoo...

i use a clear camping waterproof camera case for shooting in...not overly pricey...will protect your camera body. When it comes to the lens...you can wrap it in neoprene to keep it safe ( use a bit of velcro tape on side to make a wrap)

the neoprene will take a good hit and absorb the impact.

if money is no object go here...

http://www.portabrace.com/landing_pr...gory.php?id=50

i use one for my dsr250 and my still camera...expensive..but has raincoat, uv protection, very rugged...fits great...cost me 250 bucks thou...well worth it considering the camera is 12 000 bucks.

for the lcd...i put a plastic film cover on t...about 5 deep...you lose some quality to look at but who cares...it took a shot to the lcd and nary a scratch.

ditb

p.s.

also agree with hojo...nice to get the shots of real action...so i never wear a "high visability vest"

I'm the Barrie Bastard.
http://www.bbbastard.com/

Cheese is good.
deep in the bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 20:35   #19
swatt13
Captain Awesome

i always thought the media blue or nato blue vest would be a good i dea for media.... theb you fit the role. and agreed, if your getting shot at that much as a camera man, theres a problem, either your playing with trigger happy assholes or twitchy noobs. there is a obvious difference between a non threataning opponent ie someone holding a camera, and a threatening opponent, someone shooting at you.... i cant fathom how theyd screw that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven
a Systema PTW is like KD, where the noodles are plated in gold and the cheese sauce is actually a pool of hot naked women.
swatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 22:23   #20
Drake
E-01

Yeah, I've been with some groups were people shot at me as a camera man, bitched I wasn't calling hits, I pointed out I wasn't playing I was taking pictures, and they shot me more about 2 minutes later.

So I just don't take pictures with those people anymore.
Old August 17th, 2006, 13:48   #21
Phalanix
raaaaawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatt13
there is a obvious difference between a non threataning opponent ie someone holding a camera, and a threatening opponent, someone shooting at you.... i cant fathom how theyd screw that up.
In the heat of the moment, instinct and reaction will often take over. This is especially the case with newer players. They are twitchy, but I've been shot at by both new players and veteran players.

But I usually just shrug it off, since it's understandable sometimes that I'm seen as a player. Sometimes they probably just see my side or my back, and not my camera. Also, I get really deep into the middle of fire fights, while wearing my camo. So if I got shot, I can't complain.

But some times some people are just assholes and they shoot you even if it's a clear IFF.
Old August 19th, 2006, 12:40   #22
deep in the bush
Monkey with a Gun

Send a message via MSN to deep in the bush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanix
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatt13
there is a obvious difference between a non threataning opponent ie someone holding a camera, and a threatening opponent, someone shooting at you.... i cant fathom how theyd screw that up.
In the heat of the moment, instinct and reaction will often take over. This is especially the case with newer players. They are twitchy, but I've been shot at by both new players and veteran players.

But I usually just shrug it off, since it's understandable sometimes that I'm seen as a player. Sometimes they probably just see my side or my back, and not my camera. Also, I get really deep into the middle of fire fights, while wearing my camo. So if I got shot, I can't complain.

But some times some people are just assholes and they shoot you even if it's a clear IFF.

very true..usually i get shot at least 10 times a day when shooting..i know its just beacause i surprise em... i like the viz you can get when "being in there" also if you wear the vest ...you make easier for the other guys to see you and figure..hey some guy must be near there since he is shooting...

ditb

i also yell hit and walk off when popped...shoot from side lines then...makes you have to duck as well.

I'm the Barrie Bastard.
http://www.bbbastard.com/

Cheese is good.
deep in the bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 09:34   #23
quaestor

Send a message via MSN to quaestor
I purchased a 72mm - 77mm adapter ring and cut a piece of polycarbonate (Lexan or Lucite, can't remember) and epoxy glued the protector into the ring. I've fired onto the ring point blank with nary a scratch nor dent.

I got the idea from Big Tom (Agit-Prop). Tom, do you have pics?
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:51   #24
shadow1911
Banned

Send a message via MSN to shadow1911
all things considered i fired an entire high cap at my slr and video camera each at about 450 fps

not a scratch

but if it has a digital screen any where that will get damaged if it gets hit

other then that my cameras have been fine

except after i tested the video camera bi ummm kinda dropped it and well lets just say i dont have it any more

note: My camera was with standard ;lenses nothing protective
shadow1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:05   #25
Phalanix
raaaaawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaestor
I purchased a 72mm - 77mm adapter ring and cut a piece of polycarbonate (Lexan or Lucite, can't remember) and epoxy glued the protector into the ring. I've fired onto the ring point blank with nary a scratch nor dent.
I don't even see you out at games anymore. *sniff* :sad:
And I don't think Tom posts on ASC anymore either - haven't seen him post anything for months.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:08   #26
Phalanix
raaaaawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1911
all things considered i fired an entire high cap at my slr and video camera each at about 450 fps

not a scratch

but if it has a digital screen any where that will get damaged if it gets hit

other then that my cameras have been fine

note: My camera was with standard ;lenses nothing protective
Which SLR do you have and how far away were you from the camera when you shot it with the 450fps hicap? I have doubts that even the camera body can withstand a full hicap at 450fps without a single scratch. :???:
Old August 22nd, 2006, 13:44   #27
shadow1911
Banned

Send a message via MSN to shadow1911
some old one and i was just out side of what can be called mercy range

Minolta srt101 with leather case(it covers the plastic back)

the bbs didn't damage the lens and the hi cap was sprayed about even in 360

by the same token not the kind of camera ya wanna be taking airsofting any ways as its manual focus and fstop and aperture

made impressions in the leather but that lasted not too long
shadow1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General