View Single Post
Old January 25th, 2012, 22:58   #79
Jcotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
Last I checked the Music Industry is not the Government of Canada, nor is it the Conservative Party of Canada.

Conservatives tabled C-11 back in like October 2011, and only the last couple days has it got any attention, why is that do you think?

Fact is, the Conservatives tabled a very mild version of the Copyright treaty that the Liberal signed Canada into, with no provisions beyond what is already illegal in the Criminal Code of Canada, and with a clear definition that even in cases relating to copyright infringement there are loop holes out of it with the way C-11 was written. Since its a Conservative Bill, and they have a majority government, the likely hood of them changing it is next to nil like everything else they have been doing.

This is pure sensationalism and a means to attack Harper's Government cause the Liberals and media do not know what else to do with themselves. That articles idea of "proof" that a SOPA style law will come into Canada through C-11 is very similar to Jean Chretien's idea of a proof.

Dimitri
I've been hearing about C-11 for months. Yes it's getting more attention now after SOPA being tabled, but rightfully so. There is also talk that Canada is under pressure from US lobbyists to add these provisions, so that might be part of it as well.

It's not just the music industry.We know the Tories tend to side with big business ( not trying to start a left/right debate )

Quote:
The Conservative government is readying a package of technical amendments to copyright reform Bill C-11 and hopes to see the legislation head to committee quickly after the House of Commons returns to business this month, Dean Del Mastro, the parliamentary secretary to the Prime Minister.
A C-11 committee member specifically talking about the enabler provision.

Basically what you are saying is that Dr. Michael Geist,the Canada Research Chair of Internet and E-commerce Law at the University of Ottawa doesn't know what he is talking about or, he is part of a big lefty conspiracy to tarnish the Harper Governments image.

May I ask how you have any insight into this issue, I'm not trying to be rude. ( my only insight comes from what I hear from other people and articles I read on the internet.) I know you were only trying to help put me at ease. I'd like to believe you are correct for Canada's sake but I am having a hard time believing you over this guy.