View Single Post
Old September 22nd, 2006, 16:39   #29
Myrrlyn

Send a message via MSN to Myrrlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyorwhat
thephenom "Good job on the Brits' part. Now only if we can pull off the same thing in Canada, but then there hasn't been any bill propsed to ban airsoft yet."

-I doubt we could pull anything off, seeing how the moderators will delete any thread hinting of what you mention, as 'provocative' and 'redundant of past efforts'.

"Because there isn't a proposed bill on the matter yet in Canada. The British airsofters were going against a bill; not asking the gov't to define a new category for airsoft."

-One could 'go against' the CFA, "Firearms Act 1995, c. 39". If you think about it, that's the main problem, it introduces un-necessary regulations. Why not have it amended or struck down, and then there'd be no prohibited category for 'replicas', and thus no problem? Furthermore, you'd have all firearms owners along, not just airsofters. Other items are stupidly banned, like 'silencers' and 'normal capacity magazines', causing deafness and nuisance respectively.

deep in the bush "I don't think "easy" was the word for it...it required a TON of lobbying...also tons and tons of MONEY."

It is NOT hard and NOT expensive to change policy. So few people care, and so many people are lazy that very few people can get great deal's done. Lobbiests don't work for millions, they work for and with thousands. On a one-sided issue like airsoft, when no major group is actively 'against' it, lobbying would be a walk in the park. Even without hiring a lobbiest (which would be efficient and affordable, divided among membership) if each member simply e-mailed or posted a form-letter, one that they only had to add their name to, then you could get results instantly. Official responses would happen within a week, when 10,000 voices are heard. There are easy ways to get petitions going, even to quickly and easily get media coverage, and influence public opinion.
Luckyorwhat:

If you think any lobbying is easy, that just tells me you havn't done it. Care to tell us about your lobbying experinece. Since you think lobbiests are inexpensive, when is the last time you hired one and how much did he/she cost.

Your comment that "official responses would happen within a week" just tells me you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Please tell me about how one gets quick and easy positive media coverage and influence public opinion. I can't wait until the general public marches on Ottawa for Airsoft. Give me a great.

About the British "Victory"

While I salute both their efforts and success, it is a small and Pyhric victory at best. Let me explain.

The letter published here says that they will create a regulatory defence for airsoft skirmishing after the main bill is passed. What does that mean.

That means the activites involved in airsoft will still be a crime, but there will be a defined defense allowed for airsoft skirmishing. The regulation will be written by a civil servant and will likely include troubling and potentially narrow definintions. The other problem is that the defence will be regulatory not statuatory. Regulations can be added, amended or struck at the government's whim without committee, public consultation or legislative vote. This means that the government or even a department can wipe out this defense, and effectively ban airsoft at a stroke of a pen when the time is right. The promised reg. is better than the original bill without it, but this is still a major erosion of rights.

The time for the British lobby to take it to the next level is now. They should be starting a new offensive along the lines of "Dear Minister, we are very pleased about your written committment to provide an airsoft skirmish defense but in order to protect our basic liberties we need this inserted in the Bill proper."

LD
Ya...ummmm...relax....does anyone here think that lobbying is easy...I don't. And neither do I think that the media will portray airsoft in a positive spin.

The whole point of the thread is to highlight how government representives can advocate for the wants of groups and organizations and that there now (albeit in England) a document stating that airsoft is a community and not one that is irrisponsible.

So...although this is a small victory... at least someone...somewhere is moving positively. Not cultivaiting a defeatist and negative attitude that does not helkp keep others motivated to pursue the issue.

And if anyone does have experience at lobbying (which does not have to be that expensive or require a professional) then speak up and help the cause, not promote apathy and hopelessness.

Things take time to change, especially when dealing with the government and public opinion. It takes an undaunted effort to effect ones( or a groups) objective.

I applaude the efforts across the sea and am willing to help promote and lobby airsoft as a competive game (sport to some) that is carried out in a safe, responsible and healthy manner by a great bunch of individuals that are safe, responsible and active.