View Single Post
Old March 6th, 2009, 00:05   #7
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post
Wanker nerd. Lol.

Do what I do, get copper pipe foam insulation from a hardware store, cut into 1/2" slices, then take half of them and cut the thickness down to 1/4" or so. Alternate the slices, thick and thin, this creates foam baffles within the suppressor. Cut each to the right size to fit snugly (after expanded) into the tube, and use a barrel or a rod to press all into the outer shell of the suppressor. Literally what you want is vertical surfaces for the gas and the report to hit, isn't so much just open cell foam to absorb it, you need to have obstructions.
Actually there are a couple real reasons for using solid baffles, one is to create a series of chambers with high enough resonating frequencies that the damping material can absorb or otherwise nullify this acoustic energy and convert it to heat over the relevant bandwidth. The size of these chambers has to be tailored to the projectile bore diameter and barrel length, rather than having sound bouncing around randomly in these aforementioned chambers. The second is to form a seal as good as practical, forcing the expanding gasses to fill the cavities and in turn lower the pressure present at the muzzle; most suppressors will have a preliminary chamber to aid in this. Though it will not matter in Airsoft, it also relieves some of the pressure from the baffles to extend service life.

Again the lack of design knowledge and how to implement it properly keeps individuals from being successful in adequate attenuation, but that is a good thing I suppose since we don't want people building real ones either. So I guess if someone wants to change the sound and maybe lower the report a bit, foam will work.

Last edited by arcanuck; March 6th, 2009 at 00:38..
arcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote