Thread: REALISM = Fun?
View Single Post
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:30   #41
aka coachster
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister
Wow... bumping a year old thread to say it's "reported"? Nice necro.

But since this thread is now active again, I'll add my 2 cents on topic.

I've only played 2 milsim events and about 5 skirmishes to date. From that, I can say that I tend to like milsim more. However, there's has to be a balance. I like the realism, tactics and scenario of milsim better than skirmishing. To me, it's just more of a rush, and it's a cerebral, as well as physical experience, whereas you get into the combat mindset more. Even though you know that you're getting shot with BBs, you still have a bit of that survival / self-preservation instinct giving you an adrenaline rush.

However, I tend to dislike the uber-hardcore milsim mindset where you have to have 100% accurate gear and tactics, where "improperly" geared up noobs are frowned upon, etc. Airsoft is a game that should be enjoyed by all participants, even though they can't afford an accurate full loadout or high end gun. As long as someone is there willing to play the game within its rules, then it's all good. Luckily, the 2 milsim events I attended (Op Drug Bust and Border Wars 2) were sort of "relaxed milsim", so it kept the fun factor pretty high.
Agreed. I played my first milsim this year at Boarder Wars 2 after playing only a couple skirmish days. Although I had a full load out of midcaps, I didn't even go through half of the mags. It was different thinking to myself, do I spray this one target or pick my shots? What if I run out of ammo in the middle of a bigger fire fight? Mind set is totally different especially when your gear is stowed so much further away. There's a time for spray and pray as well with one shot kills.

The last skirmish event I played was at the new Flag Raiders and I admit, the Normandy game I hosed and exhausted every single M4 midcap, all pistols and mags as well as nearly 12 nades. But I did get my kills while we were being picked off by a couple snipers and guys with a little more reach from the top of the hill. Wish I had a box or c-mag though. Would have been a lot lighter.

Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
However, I do enjoy skirmishing too. Playing a fun game with no rules and just mindlessly shooting each other can be a whole lot of fun too.
you can say that again!
coach is offline   Reply With Quote