View Single Post
Old November 3rd, 2008, 22:59   #22
Send a message via MSN to Flatlander
Neat FYI:

I took every chrono reading in that thread, threw them into Excel and worked out the energy for each, then averaged them for each BB weight and data set. I posted my conlusion somewhere here but the jist of it was that as you increase your BB weight, the total kinetic energy (minus rotational) increased by around 5% for the same gun - EXCEPT the .28's always wanted to decrease slightly for some reason.

The pain vs weight question is also something that has boggled my mind. With a quick test we were doing one day we took a 400fps gun and a 370fps gun and tested them at around an average to long typical airsoft engagement distance (probably around 100+' but I'm terrible with distances). The .25's on the 400fps gun hit noticeably harder and the .23's on the 370fps gun hit noticeably harder. Probably around a dozen shots or so with each weight at each fps and on the legs

Ever since I did that test, I've been skeptical and want to do some more maybe this winter or next season (note, test was also confirmed by a buddy as we took turns shooting each other).

I'd like to hear someone who knows what they're talking about talk about pain and what factors are involved. I don't think simply saying KE without any proof or reason is good enough; the body is a pretty complex system.

There's also this to look over:

I looked over his theory and it seemed pretty sound (I had a few qualms) however his lack of empirical evidence (which he claims he has) to back up his neat little theory was sketchy. Seemed to me like a typical engineer...if it doesn't fit your theory, you fudge things to make it look like you know what you're talking about so you don't appear to be wrong.
Ronin 49 Team Member
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote