View Single Post
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:44   #56
Capt. T/O
Wow Saint.
Quite impressive of you to post that link.
I must say it was an interesting read, although only the first six pages were really relevant to this discussion.

Just to clarify things, it your opinion that Parliament meant to define a firearm as having a muzzle velocity greater than 500 fps AND 5.7 joules.

I must respectfully disagree.

Firstly, the amendment being referred to here is the provision of the Firearms Act, and the definition of a firearm, under the Firearms Act, "in order for there to be registration" (on page 2 statement by Mr. Lanctot).

This legislative history is not relevant to the definition of a firearm under the Canada Criminal Code. This legislative history is relevant to the definition of a firearm for REGISTRATION purposes.

Secondly, as stated by Mr. Smith (cheif scientist, firearms, for the RCMP) on page 4 "the intention of this amendment is to provide for an exemption from registration IF either the velocity is inferior to 152.4 m/s OR the energy is inferior to 5.7 joules. The text of the draft does say that, and I suppose any clarification on that is even better..... So its my opinion that as written, it does in fact mean that the firearm need be under only one of the two limits in order to be exempt from the registration and lisencing provisions."

Thirdly, as stated by Ms. Kathleen Roussel (legal counsel, Canadian Firearms Centre) on page 6... "The idea here is to ensure that air guns or paint balls designed to have a muzzle velocity exceeding 152.4 m/s OR energy exceeding the limits in the provision will ablso be subject to registration"

It seems to me that the amendments were designed to define a firearm, for the purposes of registration, having a 500 fps (152.4 m/s) OR 5.7 joules of energy.

On a different note, what Ms. Roussel mentioned also raises certain questions. She said that it was their intention to require registration of air guns or paintball guns that shoot greater than 500 fps OR 5.7 joules of energy. So then, a PTW Max with a M150 cylinder must be registered?

And finally, there have been several questions as to the weight of the projectile used to measure the muzzle velocity and energy to determine if an AEG meets the definition of a firearm.

Mr Smith, on page 5 states "the purpose of the 5.7 joules, which is the energy equivalent of a standard-weight pellet at 152.4 m/s, is to make it abundantly clear that those air guns that were previously unregulated continue to be unregulated and that those air guns that preivously were regulated will continue to be regulated."

So they measure velocity and energy using standard weight pellets... which is 0.177 grams (am I correct? If not, then please correct me. What is the weight of a standard Crossman BB/pellet?)
Assuming 0.177 g, then our 0.2 g measurements may mean that we are all shooting HOT (although this is highly doubtful as there is a slight difference in weight, but may put some of our guns over the fps limits to become firearms)
Just a thought.
Capt. T/O is offline   Reply With Quote