Ok... I've been sitting on this for days. It has now been published in the local paper so now I'm free to talk about.
Earlier this week The Ontario Muncipal Board ruled in favour of the Corporation of the City of Cambridge in their attempt to shut down one of our favorite GTA fields.
Now as some of you may know, I work at Cambridge City Hall and have had to keep mum about most of this.
Operations at the exsisting field have to end by August 31st 2008. Hopefully Joe will have news on a new field soon.
I'm going to talk with Joe about setting up a farewell to the field game in the next week or so. Hopefully we'll be able to come up with something.
A two-day Ontario Municipal Board hearing in Cambridge this week has upheld the city's decision regarding Flag Raiders Inc.
Cambridge council had initially given Flag Raiders Inc. permission to temporarily use a rural property at 1500 Kossuth Rd. for its paintball game for a three-year period while the company searched for a permanent location.
The city later granted a second three-year extension for the temporary use, despite objections from some neighbours.
Last year, when the company applied for a third extension, the city discovered it was breaking a regional bylaw. That, coupled with complaints from neighbours, led council to reject Flag Raiders latest extension.
Planning commissioner Janet Babcock said the city will wait to read the OMB ruling, but in the verbal decision Flag Raiders will be able to continue its business on Kossuth Road until Aug. 31.
"We still have a number of outstanding questions that we're hoping to get answers for," Babcock said.
"That's why we want to see the board's written decision. That could happen in a couple of days, a couple of weeks or whenever. There is no timeline on when these decisions are written. It depends on how busy the judge is and when they have time to write it."
OMB hasnt posted their decision on the website yet. however here is some info.
OMB case number PL080074
City of Cambridge info: