View Single Post
Old July 11th, 2007, 23:28   #47
Send a message via MSN to Nik12
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
I'm not sure electricity is "pure" energy as it is just the flow of electrons which causes different effects such as creating magnetic fields. I don't even know what "pure" energy is or if it exists?

Anyways, doesn't it hurt because you get burned? Either by the extremely hot arc and/or the electrons flowing through your body encountering resistance?
You're probably right. Like I said, I don't much much on the topic of e- movement. Only need to know that for infrastructure design (well, I suppose grid design).

That's what I was saying (or so I thought it was)...
Yeah. Glad we are on the same page there.

Anyways, I know that impact energy is quite frequently used to determine the "damage" created by impacts but I don't know how that results into pain. Got to break some stuff in my Strength of Materials course and calculated "impact energy" (look up charpy test).
I'm familliar with it. Well think of it as an impact transfers energy from the projectile to the nerves in your body. It can't really transfer the momentum (too much momentum wwould mean piercing and then a direct transfer of energy, rather than transfering through the skin and any gear/cloths).
I think it's safe to say that both momentum and energy can be attributed to pain, but moreso energy than momentum.

Easy way to find out, someone take hits point blank with various size BB's and tell me what hurts more...have fun.
Hmmm. I like it, pain in the name of science (which isn't exactly a new thing).

Out of Sport. Have Fun!
Nik12 is offline   Reply With Quote