View Single Post
Old April 29th, 2007, 13:05   #48
Ibby

Send a message via ICQ to Ibby
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePiRaTE!! View Post
Gah... I have to call you out on the cliche. Its better suited to the gun crimes in which it has been referenced several times in here alone.
Yep, I use it a lot in different cases. Why? It works in each one.

Quote:
To relate it to your cliche - each hamburger is a 'spelling mistake' from a health stand point.
No, each hamburger is a pencil.

Quote:
Eaten in conjunction with a healthy diet - a hamburger here and there is not a problem, but not everyone understands this.
Er, not everyone understand quantum physics. But in this day and age, if an individual can't figure out that an unhealthy diet is keeping them out of that swimsuit they want to wear, they probably also won't understand that they're likely to eventually be getting a Darwin award.

Quote:
Eventually, the dumbest kid ever will hold an airsoft gun and I don't think its happened yet.
I think it has. Did you and I not read the same article?

Quote:
You know the rest.
Er, to quote you:
Quote:
but not everyone understands this.
Perhaps I don't. That's a pretty big assumtion.

Quote:
I'm simply saying there is a responsibility to do things right.
Yes, you're right. But the retail industry isn't to blame in this case. Parents are. They bought the gun, not the 9 year old kid. They're responsible for the child, and his safety. I think there was a pretty big failure on the part of the parents. The retail industry isn't there to spood feed consumers about every little safety aspect of what it is they're buying. I went and bought a bag of sandblasting sand last week. The bag didn't have any "don't point the sandblaster nozzle at your face" warnings. The guy at the counter didn't ask me for ID or give me a safety brief. It's assumed I know what I'm doing with the item at hand, which I do. If I didn't, there's all sorts of training out there.

Quote:
THEN, if Billy shoots out his eye, we as a nation of responsible users can't really be held accountable for how those who wander upon the sport misuse it.
Er, we're not as a nation of responsible users held accountable as it is. Is a nation of responsible users accountable for every retard that gets nailed for DUI? Lots of folks misuse alcohol. It's not the "nation's" or the brewer's/distiller's fault.

Quote:
(ps have you seen 'Supersize Me'? ...classic)
Yes, and I've also seen another documentary done the same way, where a female doctor goes on the same diet. The name of it escapes me offhand. She manages to lose weight, and remain rather healthy from eating McDonald's. Why did the other dude balloon up? Remember, he said "yes" to every "would you like to supersize that?" That's a lot of spelling mistakes. The doctor didn't. She picked her meals a bit more carefully, and ended up much better off.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of this case though, regarding the kid with the damaged eye. If this were the US, you can bet that the parents would be blaming everyone but themselves. There'd likely be lawsuits to the store, the gun manufacturer, etc. But here in Canada we generally don't have our own Stella Awards (look them up, and shake your head in disbelief). Although it seems to me we're headed in that direction, we don't need tort reform just yet up here. Why? I'd like to think it's because we have a bit of common sense, and can handle being responsible for our actions. But like I mentioned, due to people south of the border directing blame elsewhere, and the media who seems to extol the virtues of multi-million dollar lawsuits, we seem to be headed in that direction as well.