View Single Post
Old January 21st, 2007, 11:30   #26
Dracheous
Lego Head

And even when you go to some "re-enactments" some things are not entirely perfect either. Like rubber insoles, or matches to light the fire, or paper to wipe your ass!

The idea of re-enacting something is simply trying to re-create an event or time period as close as one can. The point of which is to see what the people of that event or time went through, felt, thought, and so on. We DO try to do that with Airsoft. Because when we gear up, even if my BDU's don't match my team mates we are still emerging into a battle-type scenario in which we try to see what its like to be in an hostile environment.

Also there are ways we can't have our "re-enactments" for instance my team does not all share the same liking for period dress. I prefer modern day weaponry and gearing, I also am making myself customized gear to my liking and my game play. But that means I'm not under any certain flag, because our team considers ourselves mercenaries. We use what we find works best for us and work for the highest bidder, or who we choose to work for. That way none of us have to conform to the other and we can just use gear that works best for us. And mercs exist the world over, so its not based from any non-factual idea.

And not to mention like Greylocks said, we can also "re-enact" things that didn't actually happen, but things that are probable to have happen or TOO happen. Re-enacting isn't always about doing something thats already BEEN done to as close as we can re-create it. Sometimes there are "re-enactments" that take place to study the infamous "What-if?" scenario. Such scenarios are made to try and answer things like, "What would it have taken for the Red Coats to win here? or loose here?" And so on.

Confining it to the "definition" that wikipedia has is not very realistic, because things change. Such is our image needs to change some what. As a community, as a sport/hobby, as a game; the image just needs to change so that its not so imposing.

Quote:
Re-enactment
Airsoft players in a World War II reenactment are guarding a piece of mock artillery. Note that while the player's uniform (with the exception of the safety goggles) is designed to resemble that of the time period, the SIG 552 he is holding is not.
Airsoft players in a World War II reenactment are guarding a piece of mock artillery. Note that while the player's uniform (with the exception of the safety goggles) is designed to resemble that of the time period, the SIG 552 he is holding is not.

On occasion, airsoft games will be played in which the structure and/or conditions are designed to emulate a specific real-world battle as a form of historical or modern reenactment, depending on the historical period. This type of play can vary from a simple skirmish emulating a small-scale battle (like that of Pegasus Bridge) to a full reenactment of the Battle of Mogadishu[1] or the Battle of the Bulge.

For earlier historical eras such as that of World War II, equipment restrictions may be imposed on players for some historical accuracy. This may include restricting players to the use of replica firearms that were available during the historical battle. To include players without the correct airsoft guns, organizers may set up rules restricting them to semi-automatic fire or restricting the amount of ammunition they may carry (to better simulate firearm performance of that era and ensure equal capability among players).

How closely the historically-based airsoft game replicates the historical battle is up to the game organizer. Sometimes a historic battle will merely be inspiration for the structure of a standard skirmish, while sometimes the players may be actual reenactors seeking another way to enjoy their hobby.
Also, if you search for a diffinition on "MilSim" you get nothing, however it does bring a link to Airsoft up on wikipedia. When you read this there is also a section right there on wikipedia that has a "re-enactment" tie to airsoft. And if you read the last part, which I bolded for you. It gives you exactly what we do, we base our games off of real or possibly real events in order to recreate it.

Wikipedia said you can and you can't all at the same time then I guess now didn't it?

EDIT: Here is the wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airsoft#MilSim

"The hydrogen economy car from the people who brought you the 'Hindenburg'" - Glen Foster

Condoms do not guarantee safe sex any more. A friend of mine wore one and was shot by the woman's husband!

Last edited by Dracheous; January 21st, 2007 at 11:32..
Dracheous is offline   Reply With Quote