View Single Post
Old December 3rd, 2006, 11:47   #16
The Saint
I don't really trust the media to get our message out clearly and god help us if they do the report on one of their slow weeks.

At my old anime club, we had two occasions in which we were featured in some sort of report on anime (mostly due to our size, around attending 200 members around that time). First time it was on CBC or something, second time was on the KW Record. First occasion, they just filmed one of our showings and called us a cult. Second occasion, someone from the newspaper came in, interviewed us, and after all that called us anti-social and wierd. Sure, we've got people at the club we wouldn't really use as poster child for the community, but they are in the minority and I'm pretty sure they weren't even seen. Did it matter? Nope.

If we ever do a publicity campaign, we should avoid being the topic of a news report. There's a difference between between publicity and good publicity. Look at the gaming community. What do they usually make the news for? Video game violence. What actually brings them positive publicity? Fund raising for good causes.
"The Bird of Hermes is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame."