View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2006, 16:40   #116
Administrator Malleus Veto
Send a message via ICQ to MadMorbius
Originally Posted by Blazen
Some good points Madmorbius.
Thank you for adhering to comonly accepted debating practices. It's remarkably refreshing.

There is a big difference between model planes, boats, and replica firearms. The main difference being that replica firearms have potential for severely harming society while model planes/boat forseeably at the moment do not.
This is perception. Regardless, the underlying point remains that I, as a free and law-abiding citizen, should not have unreasonable restrictions placed on my liberty due to the actions of the unlawful.

Now here me out on this. In a crime, if you remove the tool, yes, the intent is still there, and you have not fixed the basis of the problem. The criminal may even simply pursue a different tool (knife, finger) to commit the crime. However, firearms raise the severity of a crime. Firearms are on the extreme end of lethal weapons. They have the range to harm all those in vicinity of the area as opposed to samurai swords and Ka-bars. A man holding up a store with a replica firearm or real firearm is much more dangerous to the eyes of society, especially police, than one using a knife. Replica firearms increase the number of times a police officer is forced to encounter (in their eyes) a lethally armed criminal (real of fake gun). A politician will easily outweigh the needs for replica firearms - a police officer having to deal with a potential life or death situation or a few people getting to roleplay more accurately.
Replicas are harmless. The perception may be that they're dangerous when wielded by a criminal, but a ka-bar or sword can kill someone whereas a plastic toy cannot; it is only dangerous to the yielder who forces a lawful citizen or police officer to use lethal force based on the perception of imminent grievious bodily harm.

That is a very honorable and simple way to view life, however life is not black and white. Take this for example, if every single citizen was armed with a firearm, do you think crime would increase?
Statistics are widely available from multiple sources that prove that US States that permit open or concealed carry of firearms have seen notable decreases in violent crime. Conversely, countries and States that have outright prohibited ownership of firearms have seen significant increases in crime-gun use during violent crime. As the old saying goes, don't bring a knife to a gun fight. The criminals have guns, and the victims have knives. Guess who's gotten bolder?

With your rational, it would not, since a tool does not create a criminal. If every drunk individual in a bar possessed a hidden knife, would there be more stabbings? If every Canadian was provided a cigarette, would not more people smoke? Putting full responsbility on the individual is respectable, however it is not realistic. Accessibility is a huge factor - it can create a crime. Many crimes can be situational. I've witnessed fights where someone in a crazy drunken rage has attempted to use whatever objects around them as a weapon. The severity of his crime was directly related to the effectiveness of the weapon he could get his hands on. He screamed to the other fighter that he's lucky he left his knife at home. That night, poor accessibility saved the other man's life. That altercation ended there, and nothing ever came from it.
Agreed, criminal activity may be situational. However, I carry a knife every day and I've never been tempted to produce it to settle a dispute. Likewise, I'm licensed to carry a concealed firearm while in the United States, and with that responsibility comes a requirement for forethought and increased judgement; I would not carry a weapon if I was inclined to use it offensively because I'm not a criminal.

Providing easy access to replica firearms does create crime as well as unnecessarily raising the severity of the crime.
I will require proof of this statement. I would counter that easy access to kitchen knives has not resulted in an increase in murders by stabbing.
Originally Posted by Deaf_shooter View Post
what if it model after his?
MadMorbius is offline   Reply With Quote