View Single Post
Old March 30th, 2006, 21:47   #9
Send a message via MSN to Goldman
Originally Posted by The Saint
Originally Posted by Goldman
I would say many of the conflicts are resolved due to locks or non-editability, since most every disput begins with a mod locking the thread.
Going back to back Yuxi said, every dispute begins with one person carrying out a plan to shaft someone else. When a mod locks a thread, it is in response to a dispute already underway, not the point of initiation.

Personally, if someone wanted to scam, I'd imagine they'd be better off simply going AWOL with the money than engage in a battle of he-says-she-says, especially since doing so more than once under the same account probably wouldn't work (that's why we have our rating system).

Not that I'm saying what you're suggesting can't happen, Goldman. Locking the thread as the routine precedure is obviously in part due to what you're warning people about. I'm just not sure if it's as big a problem as you suggest.
It's not only an issue of scamming, but of buyers being comfortable. If a buyer knows that what they see on the page, cannot be changed and is what they will get, then they will feel safer when making a transaction with a stranger half a country away. While I do have a more personal view of this, I think its an issue that should be discussed seriously by both the community and the admin staff of the site, or perhaps even tested. Not to mention it would encourage people to be more upfront in their initial post, as they know that there will be an unchangeable record of what was stated, much like the Trash Can section right now.
Maybe you'll find someone else to help you. Maybe black mesa... THAT WAS A JOKE, ha ha, fat chance.

My Buy/Sell 1337ness rating
Goldman is offline   Reply With Quote