Thread: Remembrance Day
View Single Post
Old November 12th, 2005, 23:54   #23
Originally Posted by memel
... I, personally, swell with pride at their achievements on the battlefield and am epathetic to the point of tears at their personal and collective sacrifice. I have a close relative who endured the ordeal on the Eastern Front and an uncle who didn't survive. I think about this every day and still cannot grasp the magnitude of their experiences. I often think that it would be better to die in battle than to live with the memories for 60yrs. Tortured psyche indeed.
Not insinuating that you are evil or anything, I understand that battle, both for and against a good cause is still heroic battle all the same, but how can one be truly proud of the German's cause and fighting for that cause? They were, for all intents and purposes, fighting for evil. Thus wouldn't it follow that being proud of their struggle would mean to be proud for the fight for evil and oppression?
To me, the true and ultimate display of heroism for a German soldier would not be his courage on the battlefield, but rather his courage to stay off it.
Of course, as I stated, the act of heaving your fragile frame of easily penetrable flesh over a mound of barely defendable earth to enter the crossfire of M1's, Thompsons and .50 cals displays overwhelming amounts of courage and fortitude, however to do so with the intent to promote evil seems to rob all such heroism away from the act.
So although I completely understand the need to commemorate the struggles of the German people and soldiers equally as well as the Allied's, I am still reluctantly hestitant to do the same with battlefield courage. Such commemoration for courage should be exclusively bestowed upon Allied soldiers only, for how can you commemorate the German's battliefield courage equally as well as the Allied's when, said courage and success put forth by an Allied soldier yielded good, however same said courage put forth by an Axis soldier yielded evil?

If you answer yes, that we should commemorate the German soldiers equally as well as the Allied's for their courage, could you imagine how disturbing that would be...:
"We commemorate the Princess Patricia X division for their courage in the face of the enemy when they assaulted and captured two German pillboxes along the coast of Normandy, allowing the invasion on D-Day to proceed and become a success."
if the same commemoration for courage was bestowed on the Germans?..:
"We commemorate the Storm Struppes X division for their courage in the face of the enemy when they assaulted and destroyed two hundred Allied landing craft along the coast of Normandy, allowing the invasion on D-Day to grind to a halt and fail."
This clearly presents a serious moral dilemma...

"And the Lord said unto John, 'Come forth and receive eternal life.' But John came fifth and won a toaster."